Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to have Model S picked up for service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S with ~110k miles.

Up until now, the local Tesla service center was picking up and dropping off the car without cost and just charging for the actual service performed.

I just scheduled for a pickup for service and the service advisor told me that the pickup and delivery of the car would cost $75 car loading fee + $4 per mile. As I live ~65 miles from the service center, the total estimated cost for a pickup and delivery (of both my car and the loaner car) would be ~$844 + tax.

4 car loads = $300, 136 miles at $4 per mile = $544

Is this a new thing or an old thing that they are just enforcing, or something to do with my no longer having a service contract with them (it was for 100k miles)?

Anyone else have the same issue, or did I just get a bad service person?

It's not new.

What new is the $4 / mile which used to cost $3 / mile in 2015.

You were lucky as an early adopter that Tesla didn't enforce the towing policy with you.

That's why some owners are relying on 200 mile tow from AAA.

200 mile tow? LOL.

A little annoyed about not having free pickup and and dropoff of the vehicle. My wife's Lexus dealer has been doing it for over 15 years. (To the point that we almost fight with them because we'd rather stay at the dealership for a couple hours and have the free coffee and snacks!) My friends' Mercedes dealership has similar pick up and drop off of the car with loaners as well.

If I trade in for a new Tesla, will I get free pickup/drop off while the warranty is active? Or is it totally not available anymore?

This may make a difference for me, as my wife hates going down to the Tesla service center (out of our way) and I generally have to take a day off from work to do it.

...If I trade in for a new Tesla, will I get free pickup/drop off while the warranty is active? Or is it totally not available anymore?...

You'll get your first pickup / dropoff for free in the delivery.

In delivery, you have a choice of home delivery or picking it up at a Tesla Center so they would provide a cheaper choice by covering you to come to their center (Uber, car rental...)

It's unlikely that Tesla would do what they did for you in the past, especially during this belt tightening era when it's threatening its employees that it has only 10 months of cash to live on.

Good luck!

If you had the unlimited ranger service contract (offered for a brief period early on in 2013-2014), they're required to do free pickups and dropoffs until it expires.

Otherwise, they're not, and they won't.

However, it seems from checking with other people that if the car is *undriveable* -- suspension failure or somesuch -- they will pick it up for free. That doesn't happen very often, so it doesn't cost them that much.

Reactions: HankLloydRight