Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Import from US? Possible? Not worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, they used to do Roadster modification from US specs to Canada. However, since Model S they now did explicitly said they no longer do specs conversion. I doubt they will make exception.

Although hardware wise, Model 3 specs is compliant with both US and Canada. I beleive all those Canada regulations are just a matter of new firmware, but Tesla still won't do it for you.

I sincerely question this 'specs' inspection. When my Audi S4 was imported in 2008, the RIV official sat in it and asked if it had DRLs and a kmh speedo. That was basically all he inspected other than the paperwork. All of this talk about red seat belt buttons etc...is this for real? has anyone actually had this become an issue at a RIV inspection?

If you google this topic all you find is tesla people worrying about it (but never actually having it be an issue on an importation). Funny that.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I found more information on this!

I spoke to a friend of mine who imported a BMW M3 from the US, and mentioned that if the vehicle is built in North America you don’t have to pay any import fees like you would on, for example, a BMW (made in Germany).

That being said, the process would be something like this:

- Order from Tesla in the US

- Contact insurance to get a quote or start a new policy

- Contact the border crossing prior to delivery to notify them the date you will be importing the vehicle

- Travel to the US pick up the vehicle and all the paperwork. You do not pay state OR US taxes as the vehicle will not be registered in the US and the vehicle MUST be paid in full and cannot hold a lien.

- When you arrive at the border, you would pay the 13% tax on the vehicle, licensing fees, and other document processing fees.

- You would be able to drive the vehicle UNPLATED directly home, or alternatively, if you have a US plate you could put those on to save you the trouble from police. (Confirmed this is acceptable with proper documentation, and must go directly home)

- You would then contact insurance, finalize policy.

- Go to MTO and pick up the plates (you’ve already paid licensing fees at the border so you just show proper documentation and you should be good).

- Enjoy your Tesla and the extra 10k in the bank.

Again, this is the process my friend went through, with the exception of having to pay an Import Fee because the vehicle was built in Germany.

I also would assume, Now, with more Tesla SC’s that a US Tesla in Canada could still be serviced as normal.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I found more information on this!

I spoke to a friend of mine who imported a BMW M3 from the US, and mentioned that if the vehicle is built in North America you don’t have to pay any import fees like you would on, for example, a BMW (made in Germany).

That being said, the process would be something like this:

- Order from Tesla in the US

- Contact insurance to get a quote or start a new policy

- Contact the border crossing prior to delivery to notify them the date you will be importing the vehicle

- Travel to the US pick up the vehicle and all the paperwork. You do not pay state OR US taxes as the vehicle will not be registered in the US and the vehicle MUST be paid in full and cannot hold a lien.

- When you arrive at the border, you would pay the 13% tax on the vehicle, licensing fees, and other document processing fees.

- You would be able to drive the vehicle UNPLATED directly home, or alternatively, if you have a US plate you could put those on to save you the trouble from police. (Confirmed this is acceptable with proper documentation, and must go directly home)

- You would then contact insurance, finalize policy.

- Go to MTO and pick up the plates (you’ve already paid licensing fees at the border so you just show proper documentation and you should be good).

- Enjoy your Tesla and the extra 10k in the bank.

Again, this is the process my friend went through, with the exception of having to pay an Import Fee because the vehicle was built in Germany.

I also would assume, Now, with more Tesla SC’s that a US Tesla in Canada could still be serviced as normal.

All of this assumes Tesla will deliver an unplated, uninsured vehicle to you in the US. I moved from Colorado last year and looked into it. Bottom line is that I would have had to pay Colorado taxes on the car to have it delivered to me in the US, then HST on it once I got to ON. I didn’t want to pay taxes twice on it, so I just ordered it from the Canadian site and had my brother deliver it to my house. It was waiting in the garage when I moved in.

I've done this exercise. Pandemic aside (which adds additional complications crossing the border), I have an address in AZ as well as Alberta I could order in either place. Here is my calculation, based on a Model S LR, same options incl FSD.

Purchase in Alberta
Price with options, destination and doc fees $136,090 CAD
Add GST (5%)
TOTAL $142,907.36 CAD

Purchase in Arizona
Price with options $99,290.00 USD
Add AZ state tax, title and doc fees = 105,780.62 USD
(as far as I'm told, you must purchase with AZ registration)
As of today, $105,780.62 USD = 134,783.02 CAD
At the border, add 5% GST $6712 + 100 AC Tax + $315 RIV + $200 out province inspection + AB registration $100
TOTAL $142,210.02 CAD

Hardly worth it, unless you are up for a road trip and the experience.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
State tax should be refundable if you immediately export the vehicle, should it not?
Interesting thought though it appears not. "Generally, no refund of sales tax is available if you took possession of the item from the vendor with a given state. In the United States, sales tax is imposed at the point of transfer of title or possession. Therefore, if a non-resident visitor to the United States purchases any taxable items and takes possession of the goods at the retailer’s location, sales tax is due and there is generally no refund of the sales tax paid simply because the goods will be removed from the United States."

Edit: There is an exception to this rule in Louisiana, Texas and Washington.**

Last edited:
Interesting thought though it appears not. "Generally, no refund of sales tax is available if you took possession of the item from the vendor with a given state. In the United States, sales tax is imposed at the point of transfer of title or possession. Therefore, if a non-resident visitor to the United States purchases any taxable items and takes possession of the goods at the retailer’s location, sales tax is due and there is generally no refund of the sales tax paid simply because the goods will be removed from the United States."

That must be a Tesla thing then. The last time the CDN dollar was at a good level I bought both a Ford and a Harley in NY and Illinois, both were bought with a Canadian address and were issued a temp plate. No state tax on them at all. After all said and done the Ford was almost 10 grand less and the Harley ended up being 6 grand less which is almost 30%. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

They also had valid warranties from the manufacture when imported.

Washington state or DC