Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to produce Plaid X vs Plaid S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My Plaid X order was bumped to the most expensive 6 seat option because the cheaper 5 and 7 seat options were deleted. So the new base price of the Plaid X has gone up by $6500. The 6 seat option is the least desirable config for me as the middle seats cannot be folded down like in the 5 and 7 seat options. I'd pay extra just to keep the 5 seat config.

The price difference between the different seat options can't be more than a few hundred. The cheaper 7 seat option has more materials. To me this is the way they are making their first price increase. Prior to that, the Plaid X base was $10K less than the Plaid S.

The Plaid X must cost more to make than the S by quite a bit. It's way bigger and the falcon doors are far more complicated and the warranty costs will be higher. The speculation is that they didn't raise the price like they on the Plaid S because of demand yet the Plaid X orders placed today are for October while Plaid S orders placed today are as soon as a month out and that's assuming you don't buy an inventory car sooner.

It doesn't make sense.

I just went and looked at my reservation page - the configuration still shows X-Plaid with 7 seats... Do you think they decided to discontinue new 5/7-seat Plaid-X orders? Will they honor the order already in the system? Is there any way to find out?

The base price of the X-Plaid has been adjusted up $6500 to include the 6-seat option and in the option choice it now says "Included".

I just went and looked at my reservation page - the configuration still shows X-Plaid with 7 seats... Do you think they decided to discontinue new 5/7-seat Plaid-X orders? Will they honor the order already in the system? Is there any way to find out?

The base price of the X-Plaid has been adjusted up $6500 to include the 6-seat option and in the option choice it now says "Included".

You will get a call or text soon to be asked if you want to upgrade for free to the 6 seat option. If say yes, then your order will be updated online within a few hours of that. It will also show a new purchase agreement that has the new higher current price for the base 6 seater. If you ask, they will tell you the discount won't be reflected in your purchase agreement until a vin is assigned. You need to absolutely make sure that the offer to upgrade to 6 seats with a price adjustment to keep it at your original order price is texted you so that you have it in writing otherwise there's no proof months from now that you were offered a free upgrade.

Reactions: jaguar36
Got the call a few hours ago to either switch to the 6 seater from the 7 seater at no additional cost or take a hike. A bit annoying as I needed the seating space. I guess will have to compromise for the extra hp lol But I do think there will be a way to fit a bench second row down the road from either a donor car or ordering the seat from tesla.