Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to recharge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point!

I took the total monthly electric bill and divided it by the KWH used. So it would include all the meter fees, sales tax, transmission fees, etc.

Took a look at my monthly fuel cost for a gasoline car (driving this exact same route). Came out to be $34 a month. We have $2.89/gallon gas here (mid range, not the cheapest).

The electric car will save some money, but not as much as I thought. Not that that matters at all.... I like the way the M3 drives.

Yeah, with your very short commute, you could drive a lifted Jeep and keep it under $100/mo.

What you just need to be prepared for from your family/friends/etc is a response to the "but what about your electricity bill?!?! won't it quadruple?!?!" question.

Reactions: pjensen
/e side eyes those of you with energy charges of 6 cents a kWh to 15 cents a kWh.

But... Gas out here is also very expensive. Premium unleaded is somewhere between 3.30 and 3.60 where I am, for example... and I am guessing for those in places with electricity of 9 cents a kWh, that same gas is likely 1.80 to 2.00 or so.

Its still cheaper for us to use EVs out here even with those costs, because the cost of gas is also so much higher.

13.5 cents per kWh here.
Gas right now appears to be about $2.39/gallon. I had to look that up online since I don't care anymore! Muahahahhahaha. <evil laugh>

Simple formula: ((average watt-hour per mile x miles driven) / 1000) x kWh rate = $COST

Efficiency: 292wh/mi
Miles per month: 1500
kWh cost: 13.5 cents

292wh/mi x 1500 = 438000 wh
divided by 1000 = 438 kWh per month
multiplied by .135 = $59.13/month(-ish)

Now, in my Cadillac, that would've been ...
1500 miles / 20 (miles per gallon) = 75 gallons of fuel
Multiplied by 2.399 (price per gallon) = $179.93

Yup, all electric is the winner!

For most, electricity is always going to be cheaper and more convenient than going to gas stations.

Most consider the savings on fuel to be a side benefit compared to the reductions in service needed, the better throttle response, the smoother power, the eco benefits and the less noisey motors.