Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to recharge Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to discuss cost of recharging a Model 3.

I read on another thread that it needs 89kw to recharge fully a LR Model 3.

I live in San Francisco and subscribed to CleanPowerSF to get 100% renewable energy. Last month my electricity bill was $25.70 for 115kwh used in one month:
  • $15.05 for P&G Delivery Charge
  • $10.65 for CleanPowerSF Generation charge.

So it's about $0.22 per kWh.

If my math are correct, this means that to fully charge a Model 3, the cost will be 89kw x$0.22 = $19.58 for 310 miles of range = $0.063 per mile.

If I compare it with my BMW M235i, a full tanks cost about 12 gallons x 3.39 (premium) = $40.68 for about 350 miles of range = $0.116 per mile.

I know that I probably do more like 22mpg with my M235i on average rather than the 30mpg that I calculated but I also expect to not get the full EPA range estimation with the Model 3.)

I drive about 8000 miles per year so the savings will be about $424 per year. It's way below what Tesla advertise on their website and much lower than what I thought I would save by driving electric and with 100% renewable energy.
Let's discuss :)

Reactions: Canuck
There's no advantage in California at the current per kW rates at the SCs ($0.20/kW) or via a number of rate plans - versus a decent hybrid. A lot of Model 3 owners will be unpleasantly surprised at this.

On the other hand, there are some plans that approach $0.10/kw and some will have solar, so there's that.

Just another reason why I currently advocate the purchase of a higher mileage CPO AP1 Model S instead of a Model 3 at this time. Same money, more features, lower running costs over time. Once again, on the other hand, if you don't drive much, then never mind.

That's expensive electricity. Do they have a time of day plan? I pay PG&E 8c per kWh overnight (what I don't produce myself with solar panels). Also, I think you'll find you get a lot closer to EPA around town with an EV than you currently do with your BMW.

There's no advantage in California at the current per kW rates at the SCs ($0.20/kW) or via a number of rate plans - versus a decent hybrid. A lot of Model 3 owners will be unpleasantly surprised at this.

On the other hand, there are some plans that approach $0.10/kw and some will have solar, so there's that.

Just another reason why I currently advocate the purchase of a higher mileage CPO AP1 Model S instead of a Model 3 at this time. Same money, more features, lower running costs over time. Once again, on the other hand, if you don't drive much, then never mind.

Lower running costs over time???? The Model 3 gets more miles per kWh, so it will have lower running costs.

Here in South Jersey, it is about $0.18 per kWh for I believe natural gas and nuclear mix. Also about $2.80 gallon of premium gas.
Using your formula just my local prices..
89kWh x $0.18 = $16.02 for 310 miles = 0.051 per mile = $413.42 per year (@8k miles per year)
12g x $2.80 = $36.60 for 350 miles = 0.105 per mile = $836.57 per year (@8k miles per year)

$423.15 savings pretty close to you.

If I do 12k miles per year
Tesla - $620.13
ICE - $1254.86

Savings - $634.73

Lets not forget gas prices tend to rise over time. I'd like to believe electricity costs could go down over time. But thats probably not true with PG&E (or the other investor owned utilities).

I would tend to disagree with that. There is no reason that cost of electricity will decrease and I've also read that some state or countries are considering adding more taxes for EV drivers because they are not paying taxes on gas which is supposed to help maintain roads.

So maybe we might see additional taxes on electricity if you plug your car at home...

Reactions: mmd
Get solar

Now, here is the real point:
In 10 years you drive 80,000 miles and spent ~ $40k for the car, so about 50 cents a mile before maintenance, repairs, and insurance.
Why are you agonizing over a couple missing pennies per mile in fuel charge savings ?

Not agonizing :) I don't need to buy a Model 3 so the 40K I will spent are only because I want a new toy. I had in mind, and I'm sure many more people too, that driving an electric car was a lot cheaper compared to ICE.

I would tend to disagree with that. There is no reason that cost of electricity will decrease and I've also read that some state or countries are considering adding more taxes for EV drivers because they are not paying taxes on gas which is supposed to help maintain roads.

So maybe we might see additional taxes on electricity if you plug your car at home...

Well, you could personally decrease your electricity cost by installing solar, as SageBrush suggested. But there are efforts to lower electricity costs for end-users, such as this one: L.A. County creates a lower-cost alternative for Southern California Edison customers

Additionally, the increased "tax" on EV owners, as far as I know, is through vehicle registration. California recently moved to implement this, I believe. However, they ALSO increased gas taxes (California gas tax increase is now law. What it costs you and what it fixes)

Not agonizing :) I don't need to buy a Model 3 so the 40K I will spent are only because I want a new toy. I had in mind, and I'm sure many more people too, that driving an electric car was a lot cheaper compared to ICE.
It is a lot cheaper with the proper time of use electric rate. As someone noted above he pays half your rate in that part of the state. But there's a limit to how much you can save if you're not spending much on gas to begin with. Anyway there are better reasons to drive an EV than the cost savings in electricity vs. gas.

Reactions: ahagge and landis
It is a lot cheaper with the proper time of use electric rate. As someone noted above he pays half your rate in that part of the state. But there's a limit to how much you can save if you're not spending much on gas to begin with. Anyway there are better reasons to drive an EV than the cost savings in electricity vs. gas.

Agreed. Justifying the purchase of an electric vehicle by saving money on fuel is a silly argument. You are paying a huge premium on the cost of the car which easily wipes out any fuel savings.