Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to recharge Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, if you pre-pay then it's lower. I would have to see what is covered.

All of the maintenance on my car was included in the sticker price for 4 years or 50K miles. Everything but tires really.
Whether you "pre pay" for maintenance, or purchase a vehicle with "free" maintenance (I can assure you its bundled in the price of the car), you will stay pay to "maintain" your car. My point was that with less moving parts/fluids, costs "should" be lower. I hope that is the case.

Whether you "pre pay" for maintenance, or purchase a vehicle with "free" maintenance (I can assure you its bundled in the price of the car), you will stay pay to "maintain" your car. My point was that with less moving parts/fluids, costs "should" be lower. I hope that is the case.

Oh I completely agree. One of the primary draws for me to EV is that they SHOULD cost far less to maintain than their ICE counterparts, especially if you keep the car really long term like 7+ years when ICE cars need things like valve adjustments, timing belts, new motor mounts, etc.

You will still have some of those costs as the EV car still needs the suspension and battery maintenance items handled at some point.

Part of the challenge with Tesla is that currently they don't want to allow 3rd party mechanics to do the minor service items on the car.... even though there's really no reason that anybody with a modicum of mechanical ability couldn't change the brake pads or swap the brake fluid.

When I first got my Model S in 2014, I started thinking about ways to save electricity in my house. LED bulbs, etc. I learned through research that plasma TVs have very large vampire drain (2.7kWh per day). I connected the TV to a switched outlet so that I can avoid this drain. I did the math and found that doing this was equivalent to about 3,000 miles of driving per year saved.

Reactions: SageBrush
here is my fuzzy math:
i was spending $250/month on gas
i now spend $0/month on gas

i spend .07/kwh (ev midnite rate)
on the model s, under 300 kwh/mi, i estimate 3.5 miles/kwh
so at .02/mi, and driving avg 1600mi/month (more now that before due to using tesla more) = $32/month

easy...

When I first got my Model S in 2014, I started thinking about ways to save electricity in my house. LED bulbs, etc. I learned through research that plasma TVs have very large vampire drain (2.7kWh per day). I connected the TV to a switched outlet so that I can avoid this drain. I did the math and found that doing this was equivalent to about 3,000 miles of driving per year saved.
People are amazed when I tell them my home consumes about 200 kWh a month excluding cars. They are too lazy to do the most basic learning like you have.

You just need to listen to others, you live in a crap state that nobody would want to live in when they could live in the paradise that is California! :p

I know - whenever out of state family visits for the first time they're always shocked at how nice Houston is vs. what they were lead to expect. We became the most diverse city in the nation a few years back, I really enjoy all the different cuisines :)

Meanwhile, our residential electricity prices are about 11 US cents per kWh but we pay nearly $8/gal for gasoline. Regular. ;)

Well, I would wager to guess that Iceland hasn't got a lot of oil, so has to import most if not all of it, whereas you are lucky when it comes to renewable energy sources, thanks to all the geothermic energy you can harness to generate cheap electricity. Germany otoh has very little of any natural resource. Wind being the primary renewable source followed by solar and to a lesser extent water/hydro.

In our case our Chevy volt actually increased our kWh cost from 16 cents a kWh to 20 cents+. In addition we now constantly have to watch our electricity usage and make sure we don't forget to turn off the window AC.

I forgot how much electricity is during peak hours but it's something like 40 cents per kWh. It is just ridiculous. Oh and I forgot to mention we are renters and are reluctant to spend $1k to have 220V installed considering there is 0 rent control laws and as I write this our landlord just increased our rent by 15 percent.

In the end I don't think we are saving much of anything compared to spending $3 a gallon. That's the insanity of a state like California. In Texas we would save a fortune despite the fact that gas there is much cheaper.

I would really not be against bringing some of the cheap fracking nat gas and run some natural gas powered plants here.

And then they'll experience the summer and wonder why they ever came ;)

I'm an Army Brat so we moved around a lot (I'd lived 25 places by the time I was 25!) We lived in central Wisconsin for a time and I much prefer dealing with Houston's summer than Nekoosa's winter - I currently drive an S2000 and keep the top down all year long except for mid-day in July and August. My brother's the other way around and now lives in Nekoosa with his family, whenever I visit for the holidays it just reaffirms why I live here.

Summer heat's probably a factor in the creation of the Houston Tunnel System - it's like a 6 mile (9.6km) mall underneath downtown.