Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to recharge Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone help and critique my thinking for CA..

50kwh battery with 87% efficiency means 57.5 kWh to charge
$.20 per kWh at SC or at home
57.5 kwh * .20 = $11.5 from 0-100%.

Is 15% loss pretty realistic from 220 miles down to 187 sensible?

If so then 11.5/187 = $0.062 cents per mile. Does this seem accurate for a SR 3?
Math is sound. How does that compare to your current ICE?

Interestingly, in my area in N.Y., that would represent a savings of about $12 a tank of gas (assuming 25mpg & $2.41/gal). Perhaps not as much savings as some think, but it doesn't deter me in the least from waiting anxiously for the Model 3. :)

You'd save about $1 a day if you drove 12k a year. :) You are right its not much. electricity is high for you and gas is cheap.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ken7
On the Tesla build page you can estimate the gas savings.
upload_2017-8-17_8-11-57.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Ken7
Model 3 doesn't have free charging. kWh is also different than S, much simpler and easier to do it on your own
I don't think Tesla takes into account super charging. The idea is that most people will charge their vehicle at home. The kWh per mile will be lower on a Model 3 than S. So your savings will be higher than what that page calculates. But it's still a decent benchmark.

Reactions: SageBrush
I don't think Tesla takes into account super charging. The idea is that most people will charge their vehicle at home. The kWh per mile will be lower on a Model 3 than S. So your savings will be higher than what that page calculates. But it's still a decent benchmark.

Sure but these are not good measures for everyone: Charge cost assumes national average of $0.12 per kilowatt hour. Gasoline savings assumes 21 mpg at $2.70 per gallon.

Calc on your own for best rationale

I hope you're right. The more expensive gas become the better the cost savings from driving an EV.
Actually I hope I'm wrong, lots of folks cant afford EVs (for now) and a rise in gas prices would place a huge burden on their household budgets. A couple of my assistants drive over 40 miles (roundtrip) a day to come to work, on top of that they own huge SUVs.....so, you get the point.

Reactions: MiamiNole
Actually I hope I'm wrong, lots of folks cant afford EVs (for now) and a rise in gas prices would place a huge burden on their household budgets. A couple of my assistants drive over 40 miles (roundtrip) a day to come to work, on top of that they own huge SUVs.....so, you get the point.
I know what you mean. I do think EVs will get more and more affordable as more car companies produce them. Not everyone needs a vehicle with long range or the most current technology.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc