TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cost to repair paint or body for quarter panel

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cmaster, Apr 17, 2018.

1. cmaster

cmaster Member

What do you guys think the paint/body job will cost? Look above the wheel for the problem. Someone had hit my car.

tesla.jpg

2. legend502

legend502 Member

Hit and run? or did you get their insurance.name etc?

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Hard to tell from the paint and such, is it just superficial or did it substantially bend the quarter panel? If its severely dented a Tesla certified shop will probably want to replace it, which is like a $10k+ job. If its not to bad a good non-tesla shop should be able to fix it for under a grand.

4. cmaster

cmaster Member

I got their insurance. But, it didn't affect any type of driveability. Just scratches on the surface.

People just don't know how to use a dual turn lane. So ridiculous! They just turn into my lane since they think it wasn't a dual turn lane. My car made it already on the 90 degree, the other person just thought she was in her lane.

5. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

is it just the scratches or is the panel actually dented?

6. cmaster

cmaster Member

Thank goodness it's not dented at all.

7. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

is it scratched or just paint transfer from the other car then?

if its just paint transfer, you can probably get away with just polishing it.

8. mike25

mike25 Member

#8 mike25, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    I got a similar scratch on mine (more forward). In my case it was hit and run (nothing of value visible on both dashcams but recorded the moment, seems to happen at angle and car never passed in back or front of my car). I got a estimate of 23k to fix it from the local approved shop (and wanted to disassemble half of my car). Second approved shop was less then 3k but had a 2 months wait. A recommended place in the area that is not approved but has a account with Tesla to fix post delivery paint and body issues , wanted a little less than 1k.

• Informative x 1
  9. 2012MS85

2012MS85 Member

$1k non-Tesla repair shop. Or $10k for a Tesla-certified shop.

I had a one-inch scratch on my headlight, plus some scratches on the plastic piece around it. Looked like $400 in damage...ended up being $4k with Service King in Chicago, a Tesla-certified repair shop. They did perfect work, but it adds an extra "0" to the price you might think it'll be!

• Informative x 1
  10. legend502

legend502 Member

But if its the others persons insurance and they are liable do we really care? The downside is if over a certain dollar amount it registers the vehicle as being in an accident which is an entirely different story.

11. sharpgator

sharpgator Member

We care because, over time, this kind of crap will drive up insurance costs for Teslas. This is something Tesla must fix. At the moment, I see no trend toward improvement.

12. venussongs

venussongs Member

Do you happen to have the name of a good repair place that is affordable and can do the same sort of job? In Los Angeles, or surrounding area (OC) etc. thxs!!!

13. msvoyager

msvoyager Member

Anyone any recommendations for a good address in Chicago area that won't charge $4k in such cases as mentioned in this thread, or in this one Rear quarter panel dent - Solution? ?

14. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

The dreaded quarter panel...ahhhhhh...
    :( just happened this eve backing into a condo parking lot pillar. Argh.

What do you think folks? Looking at a dent in the rear quarter and a bumper repaint for sure if not replacement as the gouged are too deep on the plastic.

Attached Files: