TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cost to replace 12V battery.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricLove, Feb 25, 2016.

1. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Anyone have out of warranty experience with replacing the 12V battery in their S?

2. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

It shouldn't cost any more than about $50 - it's a relatively small (~33Ah) standard lead acid automotive one... assuming you do it yourself! MW

3. brantse

brantse Member

There's plenty of info on here, if you search. I know the model number for at least one drop in replacement and pricing is out there somewhere. I believe the battery retailed for ~$120. That said, not that it's something you CAN'T do yourself, but it is well documented to be a royal PITA (unless you have a D). I have always done all my maintenance and repairs on vehicles myself (even family members) and I'm not sure if I'll be willing to do it myself when the time comes.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I watched my local Service Center guy replace the 12V battery in my RWD S last year at my house. Looked like a pain in the butt to me. Glad he did it and not me.