Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Replace Charge Port Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will replace my charge port door for free under warranty (48K miles). However, it's four hours to the service center. I could wait until I have some other reason to go there, but by then the warranty will have expired.

Does anyone know approximately how much this repair would cost?

Also, might it happen that it's impossible to get the door open and thus be unable to charge?
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 2.23.36 PM.jpg

Just had a quick look at the service manual to see what's involved, looks like for a service tech who's done this before it might take an hour to 1.5 hours. Not sure how much time Tesla charges however.

Must be annoying for you that the closest service center is 4 hours away, there's nothing to do at Chico, but maybe you could make it into a fun trip if you go to Portland. From my experience, Tesla doesn't promise same day service either... hopefully they do mobile service to save you a bunch of hassle!

Reactions: PianoAl
I just had my charge port door assembly replaced by a mobile service tech. My 2018 Model 3 is out of warranty, so I had to pay out of pocket.

It was $120 for the part + $86 for labor. Another $8.40 for tax brought the total to $214.40. Pretty reasonable IMO.

View attachment 923187

The new part number was 1566302-00-G.

Yep, just had mine replaced too, same cost, same 2018 Model 3 out of warranty. Almost had me stranded in Effingham, IL. Was on a trip from Virginia and the door stopped working(had to manually open and close it), and the locking pin decided to not retract...That was a fun 30 minute delay hoping and praying for it to retract so I could charge.

You just hope the locking pin retracts, or you still won't be able to charge...been there, done that, almost was stranded.
Can you elaborate?

I don’t think the door assembly has anything to do with the locking pin, which is part of a different assembly.

And how did your locking pin get stuck extended? I thought it’s normally retracted and only extends out when a charger is plugged in.(?)

Did you do anything in particular to get it retract? Or did it retract on its own after a wait?

Can you elaborate?

I don’t think the door assembly has anything to do with the locking pin, which is part of a different assembly.

And how did your locking pin get stuck extended? I thought it’s normally retracted and only extends out when a charger is plugged in.(?)

Did you do anything in particular to get it retract? Or did it retract on its own after a wait?

So I am not totally sure as to what causes the pin to engage or retract but it is related to the door in some way(position maybe?). When the door is closed the pin is engaged. I am 99% sure of this due to my having to manually open the door and the pin always being engaged at that moment. The pin either retracts when the door is open, or it retracts when the door is open AND the button on the supercharger handle is pressed. I believe it is the former. If you open the charge port from the inside touchscreen, or your phone, I think the pin will retract. I haven't looked at this enough to fully flush out when everything happens and in what order.

The pin eventually retracted on it's own but the whole this was erratic so there was not definitive reason I could ascertain as to why the pin retracted when it did. When the door started having problems, I would try all the automated ways to open the door and I do remember hearing the pin engage and retract seemingly randomly.

There are no errors thrown when the charge port door fails, at least not in my case, not even in the service mode.

When the door is closed the pin is engaged. I am 99% sure of this due to my having to manually open the door and the pin always being engaged at that moment.

By golly, you’re right. I had never noticed this before. I guess when I was manually opening my door, I was always trying to get the car to open it first, so the car must’ve retracted the pin when I did this.

I wonder what the reason is for for it being extended when the door is closed. Maybe it’s less likely to get stuck in freezing wet conditions when it’s extended. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I’d think that pulling the manual release tab in the trunk might work to get it to retract in the scenario you mentioned where it wouldn’t retract after manually opening the door.

By golly, you’re right. I had never noticed this before. I guess when I was manually opening my door, I was always trying to get the car to open it first, so the car must’ve retracted the pin when I did this.

I wonder what the reason is for for it being extended when the door is closed. Maybe it’s less likely to get stuck in freezing wet conditions when it’s extended. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I’d think that pulling the manual release tab in the trunk might work to get it to retract in the scenario you mentioned where it wouldn’t retract after manually opening the door.

Yeah I don't know the reason for having the pin extended normally would be either.

Pulling the manual release will cause an error that will prevent charging...again I don't understand this either. The only really thing I could think of is some kind of pre-check of the charging hardware at the time of request(opening the charge port door) which pulling the manual release would bypass...

Maybe it does a system check on the fly when you go to open the charge port door and it won't retract the pin before that checks ok but that doesn't really make sense because it does checks when you actually plug in the charging cable. Keeping the pin retracted normally could be an issue with getting dirt stuck in and messing up that mechanism...but I don't think pulling the manual release should through an unable to charge error, that doesn't really make sense.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311