Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to run dedicated 240v 60amp line to garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JeffreyC, Maybe you should @fparent over to NJ to install it for you. Sounds from him that he can do it and knows what he's doing.
Don't need to be a smartass. You know what I meant. The guy is basically quoted between $1500 and $2000 just in labor which seems high for that kind of a job. I recently got three quotes for a new gas furnace that ran from $3500 to $6500 so you have to shop around. Three quotes minimum.

I ran three 60 amp circuits to my garage -- 120 feet from panel to 2 gen 2 chargers and 1 gen 3 charger. Remember the cable must be copper which is more expensive than aluminum. Most people do not pay attention to this - however it can overheat and cause a fire if you do not install copper. Additionally - I have 3 general 60amp load sheds. price $3400 with installation of chargers (I bought the chargers) - he installed the cabling and the breakers. I charge at 48amp - max for model Y and 3. I have 2 Teslas currently with cybertruck coming - you may ask wh 3? I plan to never own an ICE vehicle again and I was renovating the garage. see my profile pic. Also -- you must have a permit for this installation. Given your installation to an external structure involving conduit - panel - grounding rod - and - most towns in NJ require a local circuit cutoff switch for 60 amp and above - I believe your price may be slightly on the high side - but if it includes permits and copper cable as well as cutoff - I think its fine. Get 3 quotes and you will know what's competitive in your area. Im from Manalapan in central/south jersey (exit 8) :)

Currently I have a 120v 20amp line running from our house to a detached garage through a 3/4" conduit that is about 60-70' in length. The distance from the panel to where the conduit leaves the house is about 50' through a drop ceiling in the basement.

I had an electrician come by today and he said he could run a dedicated 240v 60amp line to the garage using the same route and conduit. He would just have to pull new wire through the conduit. In the garage he would install a sub-panel to provide service to the current circuits in the garage (lights, outlets and garage door opener) with 120v 20amp and then install a dedicated 14-30 Nema outlet for the Tesla. He would install a ground rod near the garage as well.

He wants $2,300 to do this. Seems like a lot to me. I am in northern NJ. For those of you who have done similar installs, do you think this is a fair price? Anyone have a recommendation for an electrician in northern NJ? Thanks.

sounds about right to me.

I paid $2500 to have a very similar job done. My electrician installed a new meter box with circuit breakers so that it could be run directly from the meter to the detached garage without tearing up my basement where the breaker panel is. Run was about 50ft, same as yours. Here's the thing though, they have to run 6 AWG wire which is thick, thick, thick. Good luck pulling that through a 60' 3/4 inch conduit... especially if there's any bends.

3/4” conduit should be able to fit 3 6awg plus 10awg ground no problem.

Is this for a sub-panel or just a circuit? Without more info, it's hard to guess that the materials and labor requirements are. For a single pull to a hardwired EVSE, this looks high. For a sub panel, it's not out of the ball park for the NYC area. Ask for an itemized bid with parts (actual part numbers, not vague descriptions) and hour units of labor so you can do an apples-to-apples comparison.

While not a licensed electrician, I'm concurred about the fill rate of your existing conduit. 60 Amps at 70 ft will require 4 AWG THWN wire for an underground run inside conduit. NEC 310.10 determines your fill rate and 3/4" maxes at 6 AWG without derating. Link to fill ratings for Metal and PVC to do your own verification with the electrician. I see no way to add in a 60 Amp with with the existing 12AWG.

If you lower to 50Amps, you can go with 6 AWG in the 3/4".

Today's cost for 6 AWG are right at $1 per ft. You need a minimum of 4 wires for a sub panel (Hot-Hot-Neutral-Ground). Cable cost would be ~$300. In a standard cost plus 20% contract you should expect around $360.

50 Amp breaker is ~$40 depending on your box brand/type. If you need to add tandem breakers to free up additional breaker space, triple that to $120 (or more). Add cost-plus and you are at ~$50 to $150.

A populated sub panel for one 50 Amp and one 20 Amp GFCI would be ~$150. $180 for cost-plus.

Additional conduit to run inside the garage would be ~$100.

The NJ average rate is $87.50 per hour for a union shop. In your area I'd expect at least $100 with a minimum of 4 hours. 4x that for a sub panel.

Permitting and inspection will add $250 or more, depending on location. There are parts of NJ that tend to go crazy overkill on permitting. No idea how your municipality may be.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Its not that high considering the area is expensive and the amount of work to install a sub-panel, ground rod. I wouldn't exactly say it is "fair" but you won't bargain it down much.

Just want to be clear for the sake of safety that a sub panel should never have it's own ground rod. Code requires the sub panel ground be connected to the main ground plane (the main ground rod). The ground runs back to the main panel.

Just want to be clear for the sake of safety that a sub panel should never have it's own ground rod. Code requires the sub panel ground be connected to the main ground plane (the main ground rod). The ground runs back to the main panel.

The post your are quoting of mine clearly says not to install the ground rod. The proposal of the ground rod near the garage is from the licensed electrician in post #1.

Is this for a sub-panel or just a circuit?

The post written by the OP is not ambiguous whether this is for a sub-panel or a circuit.

It really depends on where you are and how far the run is.

I ran a dedicated circuit about 50' through a drywall drop ceiling, penetrated one wall and ran surface mount through my garage to a good spot for the outlet/connection. It ran me about $1000 in Nebraska, YMMV elsewhere.

The post your are quoting of mine clearly says not to install the ground rod. The proposal of the ground rod near the garage is from the licensed electrician in post #1.

The post written by the OP is not ambiguous whether this is for a sub-panel or a circuit.

You are correct. I somehow misread the original post. My bad.

I agree that a sub panel is overkill in this situation. As per my calculations, I think that circuit would max at 50 Amps max given the fill rate for 3/4" metallic is four 6 AWG THHN/ THWN.

As for grounding, my understanding is the grounding requirement is determined by the type of circuit as defined under Article 100. If a feeder, there must be a grounding electrode system located at the separate structure. If a branch circuit no grounding rod is to be located at the separate structure. A multi-wire branch circuit can be considered one circuit.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar