Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost transition to Solar compared to LPPFusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is already a different thread about LPPFusion. See LPP questions/discussion

However, I thought of starting another one as this article gives a good comparison to the ever decreasing price of solar

LPPFusion Update | Over 80% of minimum goal reached, answers on solar comparison

Until one is actually built and sold... this is the cost of LPPFusion: $¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope LPPFusion works. I hope they really can produce generators for $0.10/w. But betting on hope at the expense of what's proven to work is a terrible idea... just ask Steve Jobs....

Last edited:
assumptions used $25/w for Solar... they're equally absurd...
I can almost explain the $25 number:

$4.5 a watt
Presumed 20% capacity factor, even though the wikipedia article says 23% capacity.
4.5/0.2 = $22.5 a watt for 100% capacity.

That is actually somewhat OK ... except it presumes the competing choice is 100% capacity factor. You know better than the rest of us that is not the case with standard Nuclear, let alone the untested new guy on the nuclear block. It also politely ignores the O&M&disposal costs of a nuclear plant. And it ignores the insurance cost. And it ignores environmental considerations. But otherwise ... sure; ;-)

Last edited:
Lerner is generally considered to be something between a charlatan and a nut case, possibly a hybrid. His physics as well as his engineering claims are pretty much garbage as I understand it, but he does seem to have found a way to make money from them.

Lerner is generally considered to be something between a charlatan and a nut case, possibly a hybrid. His physics as well as his engineering claims are pretty much garbage as I understand it, but he does seem to have found a way to make money from them.

I am not so sure. Yes, that book "The Big Bang never happened" is sketchy but the milestones on LPPFusion are reported in respected peer-reviewed journals. BTW His salary is $110,000 per year. It is good but hardly at the top 1%