Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Bridgestone Run-Flat Tires

I'm curious to learn if anyone can share their experience/opinion on Costco's Bridgestone Potenza S001L RFT - Runflat tires for Model Y Performance.

I'm always nervous about getting stranded with a flat tire during a long-distance trip to Socal. Some of the horror stories of the Tesla Service center's failure to keep tires in stock motivate me to towards run-flats - as long as there are no sacrifices other than price. Thanks!

Your ride will get even worse, likely noticeably so. Efficiency will likely suffer some. But if it soothes your anxiety, that's perhaps a fair tradeoff.

Also, if you're in Atherton, it's not like you're especially far from a tow truck.

Maybe get a temp spare and put it in the trunk? Or the spray repair kit?

I'm curious to learn if anyone can share their experience/opinion on Costco's Bridgestone Potenza S001L RFT - Runflat tires for Model Y Performance.

I'm always nervous about getting stranded with a flat tire during a long-distance trip to Socal. Some of the horror stories of the Tesla Service center's failure to keep tires in stock motivate me to towards run-flats - as long as there are no sacrifices other than price. Thanks!
I put in 255/35-21 and 275/35-21 and no matching sets came up for Bridgestones. Since these only come in 275/35-21, it's not really a match for this car anyway since it has staggered tires.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I put in 255/35-21 and 275/35-21 and no matching sets came up for Bridgestones. Since these only come in 275/35-21, it's not really a match for this car anyway since it has staggered tires.
Tires in size 275/35-21 will fit on the PMY front wheels (9.5" Width). Then you only have one size tire to source should you get a flat. Some say the 275/35-21 is stretched on the rear wheels (10.5" Width) and prefer to run size 295/35-21 in the rear.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Tires in size 275/35-21 will fit on the PMY front wheels (9.5" Width). Then you only have one size tire to source should you get a flat. Some say the 275/35-21 is stretched on the rear wheels (10.5" Width) and prefer to run size 295/35-21 in the rear.
Or you can run those 275s with four front wheels but that's a whole other ball of wax.

My friend had a rental bmw last year, he got a flat(on a runflat) he has to spend over 500 to get it replaced(since they cant repair runflats)
Since they *won't repair runflats ;-) Most tire shops will do a patch/plug on runflats if the puncture is in a safe area of the tread. Dealers usually won't, though.
That's a good point. 275 on the back is definitely still narrow given the wheel width, probably a nice fit on the fronts.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC