Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Insurance "Ameriprise" has the best rate for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pvazquez03

2017 Model S75D
Sep 13, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hi Tesla owners, after 30 plus minutes on the phone with my now "old" insurance company that was charging me over $2100/yr just for my Tesla, I switched to Ameriprise. The covered all of my cars and home for a lot $$$ and saved me about $1000/ yr on my Tesla insurance only, and no I don't work for them or anyone I know, just good information to share.

It's great that you found a good rate with ameriprise. they may have offered you a great rate but that might not hold true for anyone else. as noted in an earlier posts on insurance thread insurance rates for cars and drivers are very personalized and what one person gets quoted will possibly not be reflected in a quote for someone else.

Agreed, I just wanted to let Tesla owners know this option as I shopped around and they offered the best price for me. I do have a great record, no tickets or accidents in over 10 yrs. But it doesn't hurt to call!

Hi Tesla owners, after 30 plus minutes on the phone with my now "old" insurance company that was charging me over $2100/yr just for my Tesla, I switched to Ameriprise. The covered all of my cars and home for a lot $$$ and saved me about $1000/ yr on my Tesla insurance only, and no I don't work for them or anyone I know, just good information to share.
Let me know how they work out when you file a claim.

Last edited:
Except it looks like they are not related to Costco. Just as if costco sold you a mattress by Sealy. Costco has nothing to do with the satisfaction metrics of Sealy.
Well.... Except that Costco would accept a return of the Sealy mattress, no questions asked or receipt required, cuz they are awesome like that... :)

But yeah, different situation than insurance. And I didn't realize they weren't actually affiliated.

Reactions: whitex
Agreed, I just wanted to let Tesla owners know this option as I shopped around and they offered the best price for me. I do have a great record, no tickets or accidents in over 10 yrs. But it doesn't hurt to call!
Huh. I tried that call last year and they quoted me a rate so much worse than Geico that I didn't have to look at the last three digits.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I was with Ameriprise but switched to AAA just to get everything under one company again along with an umbrella policy, only about 200 more per year for the S. For my house Ameriprise jacked up my auto rate the day after they quoted me a home insurance rate because I didn't sign up that day. Really couldn't keep doing business with them if they expected that kind of turnaround time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tyres4M3
Read all the reviews, especially all the latest ones and the ones from certified bbb reviewers.
I skimmed them, I realize that. The question is how do they compare against Geico/Progressive/Etc.?

Everyone has paid shims who give good reviews to themselves and bad reviews to the competition. Also, more people go online to complain than they do to give praise.

I'm not saying Ameriprise is great, I have no idea. I had a quote with them, and it sucked. I'm just saying that basing your opinion on just reviews would lead to a biased view.

Remember this. When something is good. Word travels fast too. I too have not heard of them and in doing my research came across all the reviews. I recently changed my insurance carrier from geico becaise of my research revealed they are not very tesla friendly when it comes to repairs. I didn't want to find out the hard way so I switched out to AAA, which historically is known to be a good insurance co.

If you search online that argument can be said of most car insurers. Geico, Progressive, etc.
I called them for a quote based on the good reviews I saw online. The person I talked to had no knowledge of car insurance. They were just filling in the blanks on their end. She couldn't answer basic questions. I decided they would be a nightmare if I had to file a claim,

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Well.... Except that Costco would accept a return of the Sealy mattress, no questions asked or receipt required, cuz they are awesome like that... :)

But yeah, different situation than insurance. And I didn't realize they weren't actually affiliated.
Just like Directv is on their site but Costco has nothing to do with them. You get a good price but you end up with Directv customer service.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
For what it's worth, my nephew is involved in a large auto body repair company and he says that GEICO is especially bad about paying for claims and wanting to fix cars the absolute cheapest way possible. He said USAA is one of the best to deal with, but you have to have a military connection to get it. Not sure what the rates are like though. He also said Erie Insurance is very good with claims. I got a competitive quote with Erie and I'm probably going to switch to them. Good Luck!

• Informative
Reactions: pvazquez03
Apparently Liberty Mutual "specializes" in Teslas. I have no firsthand experience with their coverage, but I did call for a quote a while back (when I was considering an S) and found them reasonable. The agent did say they are focusing in on Tesla as a specialty.

Ameriprise was far and away the cheapest option I came across in Northern California when I purchased my MS in Dec 2016. I had them years ago and did go through one claim process - I'd call it adequate to good but not stellar. For the price difference, I'm willing to deal with adequate.

One word of warning, Ameriprise seems to enthusiastically embrace the "boiling frog" pricing model that all insurance companies are guilty of to some degree. They tend to win business with very aggressive premiums for new customers that rise consistently and sometimes substantially at every renewal. I've only renewed once so far but the combined 6 month premium for my two cars went up nearly $100. I'm about to get another renewal notice and I fully expect another increase.