Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Insurance "Ameriprise" has the best rate for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the rate with Esurance pretty reasonable. We're paying $153/month for my Model S and my wife's 2017 Mercedes E300.

Thanks for posting this. I just quoted esurance and while the initial online quote was very attractive, I ran into an error prompting me to call for assitance. The gentleman from esurance informed me that they are no longer writing policies for Tesla vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Hi Tesla owners, after 30 plus minutes on the phone with my now "old" insurance company that was charging me over $2100/yr just for my Tesla, I switched to Ameriprise. The covered all of my cars and home for a lot $$$ and saved me about $1000/ yr on my Tesla insurance only, and no I don't work for them or anyone I know, just good information to share.

I just discovered that Mercury Insurance, the best for families with school age drivers, wanted $300+ more every 6 months for the same coverage on our new Model 3 as our 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, which cost nearly the same. WHY? So I check with other insurers and was regularly disappointed until I contacted Ameriprise via Costco. "ucmndd" is definitely correct about Ameriprise, at least for California insurance. The cost is only $50 more than the Audi every 6 months with Mercury. When I added our Audi and small A-frame trailer to the Ameriprise quote, we end up saving $450, even though our trailer goes up by $100.

Will we receive the same service and support as we have with Mercury? Who knows. Mercury was poor when we first started with them, but they have improved dramatically. Since Costco backs this venture with Ameriprise, I hope that means that Costco can apply some leverage where necessary to protect Costco members. We will see.

Thank you, ucmndd!

I just discovered that Mercury Insurance, the best for families with school age drivers, wanted $300+ more every 6 months for the same coverage on our new Model 3 as our 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, which cost nearly the same. WHY? So I check with other insurers and was regularly disappointed until I contacted Ameriprise via Costco. "ucmndd" is definitely correct about Ameriprise, at least for California insurance. The cost is only $50 more than the Audi every 6 months with Mercury. When I added our Audi and small A-frame trailer to the Ameriprise quote, we end up saving $450, even though our trailer goes up by $100.

Will we receive the same service and support as we have with Mercury? Who knows. Mercury was poor when we first started with them, but they have improved dramatically. Since Costco backs this venture with Ameriprise, I hope that means that Costco can apply some leverage where necessary to protect Costco members. We will see.

Thank you, ucmndd!
Hmm. When I last got a quote from them they were significantly more expensive than Geico for my Model S.

Same here. Had Geico for 12 years, and they raised my rates about $50-75 every 6 months after I bought my MS. I expected those raises because of the high hail-damage claims here in Colorado. But then my last rate hike was $400! No new tickets or accidents! I asked why and they said medical costs are going up. Lies. How come my other two cars didn't get hit with a hike? Pretty sure Geico is just pricing the Teslas out of their system. Moved to USAA

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
For what it's worth, my nephew is involved in a large auto body repair company and he says that GEICO is especially bad about paying for claims and wanting to fix cars the absolute cheapest way possible. He said USAA is one of the best to deal with, but you have to have a military connection to get it. Not sure what the rates are like though. He also said Erie Insurance is very good with claims. I got a competitive quote with Erie and I'm probably going to switch to them. Good Luck!

Erie is a good choice and also Amica Insurance should be another consideration.

A cross post from a similar conversation over at the Tesla forum. Here was my input, for what it is worth.

I just went through this. If you have seen any previous threads on this subject, you will know that the answer is different for every individual depending on age, driving record, location, credit score, coverage limits, and who knows what else. I was with AAA for car and house for over 14 years but I saw additional increases in both and decided it was time to look around. What I found was all over the place. Ameriprise for example quoted a much lower rate for the car, but a much higher price for the house; in the end, a wash. Some, such as Geico, was so much higher for the car, I didn’t bother checking the house.

On a recommendation from my brother, I contacted a broker, explained what I was after, and was pretty pleased with the result. I ended up with a rate for the car that was over 40% lower, with higher liability coverage and full glass coverage. The house was only a few hundred a year cheaper, but with 1% deductibles instead of 3%. Because I used a broker, they were still able to get the multi policy discount even though the coverage is through two different insurance companies.

If you own a house, you need to consider the total cost for all coverage, considering any multi policy discounts. Take a little time and talk to a broker and see what they can do for you. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did make it a point to tell them that customer service was important and should be a consideration when choosing the company. In my case, the broker will be my advocate when dealing with a claim.

I currently have Ameriprise for 4 autos, including my S. They are raising my rates by 25% this year despite not claims in the last 2 years or tickets in the last several.

I called them and asked why that's the case despite one more year of good driving record, and their overall liability being less as a result of my cars being a yr older.

The answer I was given was that in my state (VA), there storms etc... have led to more claims they've had to pay, and hence passing the pain on to me as a consumer.

I'm shopping around. So far Nationwide (my home ins provider), wasn't any better.

Apparently Liberty Mutual "specializes" in Teslas. I have no firsthand experience with their coverage, but I did call for a quote a while back (when I was considering an S) and found them reasonable. The agent did say they are focusing in on Tesla as a specialty.

I have Liberty Mutual (i got them on my own before that "InsureMyTesla" program came out). Their pricing has been reasonable and their customer service has been great (including a collision claim).

As a follow up to my previous post, I am including the top insurance companies by national ranking and hope it will help you find the best rate for your area.

In no specific order:

Amica
USAA (military required)
NJ Manufacturing Insurance Co ( For PA and NJ residents only)
Erie Insurance Group
Pemco Mutual Insurance Co
Cincinnati Insurance Co
Auto Owners Insurance Group of Companies
AAA
Travelers
Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group

I've used State Farm for 30+ years for insurance on my cars and home. They have consistently offered the best price and service (here in Los Angeles). Every year or so when I get solicitations from other companies I will do my do-diligence and get a quote. Last year I got the flier from Costco about Ameriprise and figured I'd give them a try. I called the phone number and spoke a live person. She went through the customary questions asking about current coverage and then got to a question and asked "Do you ever use your vehicle while working to transport people?" I was confused. I thought she may have been asking if I was using my car as an Uber driver or such. She then clarified and said no, do you ever drive people in your car while working? I said I do, on occasion, take a coworker or client in my car while driving to lunch or an appointment. She said yes, that is the question that was being asked and if that is the case than Ameriprise CANNOT offer you insurance coverage. I said to her that I'm sure there are very few people in the world that work and that NEVER take a coworker or client with them in their car during the workday. I had never been asked that question by State Farm or any other insurance company. She said thank you, we cannot provide you a quote, have a nice day. That was the strangest interaction with an insurance company I had ever had.