Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Insurance "Ameriprise" has the best rate for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used State Farm for 30+ years for insurance on my cars and home. They have consistently offered the best price and service (here in Los Angeles). Every year or so when I get solicitations from other companies I will do my do-diligence and get a quote. Last year I got the flier from Costco about Ameriprise and figured I'd give them a try. I called the phone number and spoke a live person. She went through the customary questions asking about current coverage and then got to a question and asked "Do you ever use your vehicle while working to transport people?" I was confused. I thought she may have been asking if I was using my car as an Uber driver or such. She then clarified and said no, do you ever drive people in your car while working? I said I do, on occasion, take a coworker or client in my car while driving to lunch or an appointment. She said yes, that is the question that was being asked and if that is the case than Ameriprise CANNOT offer you insurance coverage. I said to her that I'm sure there are very few people in the world that work and that NEVER take a coworker or client with them in their car during the workday. I had never been asked that question by State Farm or any other insurance company. She said thank you, we cannot provide you a quote, have a nice day. That was the strangest interaction with an insurance company I had ever had.
Redonkulous! Since your in L.A. area have you ever tried Wawanesa for a quote? They beat everything I could find by 15% or more!

I've used State Farm for 30+ years for insurance on my cars and home. They have consistently offered the best price and service (here in Los Angeles). Every year or so when I get solicitations from other companies I will do my do-diligence and get a quote. Last year I got the flier from Costco about Ameriprise and figured I'd give them a try. I called the phone number and spoke a live person. She went through the customary questions asking about current coverage and then got to a question and asked "Do you ever use your vehicle while working to transport people?" I was confused. I thought she may have been asking if I was using my car as an Uber driver or such. She then clarified and said no, do you ever drive people in your car while working? I said I do, on occasion, take a coworker or client in my car while driving to lunch or an appointment. She said yes, that is the question that was being asked and if that is the case than Ameriprise CANNOT offer you insurance coverage. I said to her that I'm sure there are very few people in the world that work and that NEVER take a coworker or client with them in their car during the workday. I had never been asked that question by State Farm or any other insurance company. She said thank you, we cannot provide you a quote, have a nice day. That was the strangest interaction with an insurance company I had ever had.

Very odd question. I was not asked that question by Ameriprise or any other company for the Orlando area.

Getting quotes online now since my state farm renewal is coming up. I pay $200 a month and all the other guys are quoting me this much. Im in Socal. Any advice?

Progessive 184 a month
Ameriprise Costco 184 a month
Liberty 448 a month
AAA 500 A MONTH
Allstate 324 a month

Pretty nuts! I have no tickets or accidents on my record

Last edited: