Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco is officially removing its existing EVSEs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Costco in the South Bay has charging. When I first got my Leaf, before I got my Nema 14-50 installed in my garage, I'd charge at the Costco. Even after I could charge at home, I'd still stop by at night after they were closed for a quick 30-45 minute charge while running around the building for my daily exercise. I asked the security guard there and she was cool with what I was doing. Then more EVs started showing up to plug in and then stay there all night, treating them as their own personal parking spots. Even spotted the owners getting picked up by their wives after plugging in so they could leave their cars there all night. I'd pass by the location on my way to work early in the morning and I'd see the EVs still there in the morning (one a black Leaf, the other a RAV4). This obviously stopped me from plugging in myself, so I stopped going there and ended up going to a local park to do my running and forgoing charging. Fast forward a couple of months and I noticed the Costco spots were open after hours so I swung by to charge. Both chargers were padlocked. Spoke with the security guard (who still remembered me) and she told me a couple more EVs started showing up and a fight almost broke out, so the Costco decided to stop anyone from charging outside of business hours. She offered to unlock one of the chargers for me since she knew I'd be done in a reasonable time, but I told her I didn't need it and thanked her.

TLDR: Free Costco EVSEs taught me why free chargers with no restrictions aren't a good idea since people can be selfish assholes so we can't have nice things.

The Costco recently moved to a newly built warehouse and now has 14 charging spots. Started out as free, but turned off after hours, but now impose a charge. I'd assume that they're open now 24 hours since it costs money to charge now, but I'm not sure since they're not using ChargePoint anymore and I have no interest in installing yet another charging app and giving my credit card number to another company.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele