Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Michelin Wiper Blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michelin wiper blades will be on sale at Costco starting on March 10th for $5.99 each. According to the Michelin guide, the Model 3 needs one 28 inch and one 18 inch blade.

Has anyone tried installing these blades? Any issues? Is there any reason to buy the blades from Tesla rather than these generic blades?

I picked up the Michelin wiper blades at Costco today. They work fine on the Model 3. They sell for $5.99 each while the Tesla OEM blade is $25. As far as I can tell they work just as well although I haven’t gone driving in the rain yet.

A couple of things to note if you decide to buy these:

1) Put the car in wiper blade service mode (under service on the screen) before you attempt to replace them.

2) Detach the clip that comes installed with the blade and select the smaller clip that fits the Model 3 wipers. After that it takes less than 30 seconds to install them. Push down on the small square and pull the blades off. Insert the new clip and blade and you are done.

Michelin wiper blades will be on sale at Costco starting on March 10th for $5.99 each. According to the Michelin guide, the Model 3 needs one 28 inch and one 18 inch blade.

Has anyone tried installing these blades? Any issues? Is there any reason to buy the blades from Tesla rather than these generic blades?

I didnt buy the ones from tesla, but I got the ones that tesla uses for the model 3 from online vendor rock auto. Instead of 25 each, It was about that for the pair. Bosch makes the tesla ones for the model 3, and those were the exact same ones. Here is a pic of the part number / order info from rock auto.

I know its not the costco ones, but I felt that getting the exact same ones as OEM for about 50% of the price that tesla sells them fit what I wanted. I personally like OEM parts when I can, so it would be worth it to me to buy these for roughly $18+ shipping and tax, vs an aftermarket one from costco for a few bucks less than that.

Attachments

• bosch wiper blades.JPG
    bosch wiper blades.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,042
I installed a set of after market blades once a year or so back. I found they sat higher on the glass. That meant, they were more visible to the driver, which bothered me, so I switched back to stock, so they sat lower again.
not sure if that would have wind resistance implications at all as well.

In any case, I can’t recall which ones I installed, but they were recommended on the forum here.

Do the Costco blades sits at exactly the same height off the glass, as the stock blades. ?

I found that at highway speed with these blades the wipers jump/bounce when wiping. Just my observation. I will only get the Tesla wiper blades from now on. (Also, looked at getting them from Amazon, they are more expensive)
I tried them a while back on a different car. They're fine around town but they do skip at higher highway speeds. Unless they've changed something recently, unlike a lot of blades, they don't have a spoiler/fin that pushes it down into the windshield. I went with the bosch icon and they seem to be doing OK so far. They were about $20 a pair from rockauto.com.

I found that at highway speed with these blades the wipers jump/bounce when wiping. Just my observation. I will only get the Tesla wiper blades from now on. (Also, looked at getting them from Amazon, they are more expensive)

I tried them a while back on a different car. They're fine around town but they do skip at higher highway speeds. Unless they've changed something recently, unlike a lot of blades, they don't have a spoiler/fin that pushes it down into the windshield. I went with the bosch icon and they seem to be doing OK so far. They were about $20 a pair from rockauto.com.
That's a deal breaker for me. The speed limit on the interstate in our state is 80. I've been pleasantly surprised that the OEM blades don't skip around at that high of a speed.

I tried these wipers from Costco last year. I had to dremel off a piece of the decorative cover for it to close. A couple of months later, the passenger's side broke off. The funny thing was that the car decided to turn on the wipers while I was in the garage when it happened, which is much better than finding out during an actual downpour on the highway. I tossed them and bought a pair made for the Model 3 from Amazon for $15. Still working great.

They might have been updated to fit without dremeling as the OP tried them. I might give them another try.

Attachments

• wiper1.JPG
    wiper1.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 714
  • wiper2.JPG
    wiper2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 636
  • Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
The OEM blades last a really long time
Surprisingly so, really. Here in the desert, you're lucky to get 9 months out of a set of wipers on a car that sees a lot of time outside the garage. This is mostly due to the intense desert sun degrading the blade material. The way the Model 3 tucks the wipers out of direct sun really seems to help with wiper blade longevity.

I'm still on my original blades at one and a half years since delivery, and they are showing very little sign of deterioration so far.

I bought the 28"/18" pair of Michelin Guardians from Costco. After about 2 months the left one broke at the ear holding the pin that attaches to the arm. I got another one, but don't know if I trust them for the long term...

The Bosch web site does not show a match, but O'Reillys Auto specifies the Bosch Pure Vision 26" blade for the left, and a Rain Guard 19" for the right. has anyone tried either of these?

I didnt buy the ones from tesla, but I got the ones that tesla uses for the model 3 from online vendor rock auto. Instead of 25 each, It was about that for the pair. Bosch makes the tesla ones for the model 3, and those were the exact same ones. Here is a pic of the part number / order info from rock auto.

I know its not the costco ones, but I felt that getting the exact same ones as OEM for about 50% of the price that tesla sells them fit what I wanted. I personally like OEM parts when I can, so it would be worth it to me to buy these for roughly $18+ shipping and tax, vs an aftermarket one from costco for a few bucks less than that.
Darn - they are no longer available there

But it appears to be available locally such as at AutoZone

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I tried these wipers from Costco last year. I had to dremel off a piece of the decorative cover for it to close. A couple of months later, the passenger's side broke off. The funny thing was that the car decided to turn on the wipers while I was in the garage when it happened, which is much better than finding out during an actual downpour on the highway. I tossed them and bought a pair made for the Model 3 from Amazon for $15. Still working great.

They might have been updated to fit without dremeling as the OP tried them. I might give them another try.
I finally got around to installing my Michelin wipers from Costco and encountered the same issue as you. I dremeled the side off so the cover would fit but found the cover uses both sides to ‘clip’ on securely. With one side gone, I don’t see the cover staying on very long.

I finally got around to installing my Michelin wipers from Costco and encountered the same issue as you. I dremeled the side off so the cover would fit but found the cover uses both sides to ‘clip’ on securely. With one side gone, I don’t see the cover staying on very long.
Same, I ended up using gorilla tape to secure the cover on the wiper blade after taking a dremel to it. It's crude but the cover hides it and should last till my next replacement.

For all you using a Dremel on the Costco glad, you don't need to. All you do is just take a flathead screwdriver and pop the cover off to make it more narrow. The Tesla requires the narrow push button so easy just to pop it off. It will seem like you breaking it but your not. Once you do it, it slides in and clicks easily. My first set I did not know this and returned. That's why it's flying off all your cars because your using a Dremel or tape.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash