Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco or Tesla Mobile Service for replacement tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my first flat tire today from a nail on the highway. I reached out to Tesla roadside and they were quick to respond and will be providing a loaner wheel while they determine if the damaged tire can be patched or needs to be replaced.

I needed to get my tires replaced soon anyways and was planning to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons at Costco. Is it considerably cheaper to purchase replacement tires at Costco rather than directly through Tesla through their Mobile Tire Service department?

I always had used the original oem tesla tires but those damn things lasted only 20k miles
Last time I decided to switch to something that got more range. After much research on the tesla forums I ended up with the continental pure contact ls. They come with a 70k mile warranty.

Two weeks ago I ran over something on the 5 freeway. It was a 3/4 inch steel plate. I thought I popped all the tires but only one was damaged. Luckily I was safe and able to pull over to a gas station (while riding on the popped tire). Towed the car and decided the next day to change all 4 tires since I already had 33k miles on them. I changed them all out for a total of $880 out the door. Check American tire they have some promo going on.

I have shopped tires before and I find costco to be more expensive than independent tire stores. American tire is a nice place. They patch tires for free and give free tire rotation. They also have competitive rates.

Anyways my old tires are still in great shape! Didn't need to change them and they probably had another 20k miles on them. I saved them for the future and even made a spare tire in case (I have extra rims).

So needless to say im happy with the tires and they served me well. Wont ever go back to the tesla oem tires. I didnt notice a difference with road noise. The oem tires have some foam in them that is supposed to help with road noise but I think its snake oil.

I just got my first flat tire today from a nail on the highway. I reached out to Tesla roadside and they were quick to respond and will be providing a loaner wheel while they determine if the damaged tire can be patched or needs to be replaced.

I needed to get my tires replaced soon anyways and was planning to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons at Costco. Is it considerably cheaper to purchase replacement tires at Costco rather than directly through Tesla through their Mobile Tire Service department?
Tirerack.com is usually where I get mine and just have them shipped to me or my installer. I'll probably switch to my favorite continental dws06 when these are spent. They're usually good for high mileage, grip as well as wet and snow driving. I'll have to see what the road noise is like I haven't ran them on an EV.

I damaged a tire on a trip and had to have it replaced. The nearest tire store was able to come up with a matching tire and when the installer went to install it , he asked if I had a set of pucks. Yup, hockey pucks. Their lifts wouldn’t pick up a Tesla without them to avoid battery damage. They didn’t have enough floor jacks to pick it up with them. This used to be a common problem. It’s a good idea to get 4 from Amazon ($20) for this situation. I keep them in the trunk basement with my compressor, tire changing tools tire plugs, etc. this would have been an ugly situation without them. As it was, I was soon on my way.

Reactions: BigTonyTones
I damaged a tire on a trip and had to have it replaced. The nearest tire store was able to come up with a matching tire and when the installer went to install it , he asked if I had a set of pucks. Yup, hockey pucks. Their lifts wouldn’t pick up a Tesla without them to avoid battery damage. They didn’t have enough floor jacks to pick it up with them. This used to be a common problem. It’s a good idea to get 4 from Amazon ($20) for this situation. I keep them in the trunk basement with my compressor, tire changing tools tire plugs, etc. this would have been an ugly situation without them. As it was, I was soon on my way.
Yess! Every tesla owner should keep the pucks in their car its a must

Came here to provide this same advice. The Costco near me didn't have them either so I had to do my own wheel swap (they were installing tires on loose wheels). Otherwise no issues with Costco. If you're in the Bay Area (assuming not Chesapeake Bay) then they're like a Camry.

Yess! Every tesla owner should keep the pucks in their car its a must
Literally hockey pucks? The tow truck driver was using a traditional jack on one side and it didn't look right when he was raising the car...

its a car not a ****ing unicorn take it to ANY tire shop. If you want the best work for the best price take it to a local indy shop and make sure you show them the lift points if they dont already know most shops are open to learning things and love the chance to work on a different car.
But its a tire there is nothing special about teslas when it comes to tires. yes some have that stupid foam inside but that can easily be cut away and the tire patched, and the foam glued back in place no big deal.

Fyi..discount tire will patch ANY tire for free, for anyone. Customer or not

Reactions: Anothergeek
Literally hockey pucks? The tow truck driver was using a traditional jack on one side and it didn't look right when he was raising the car...
Yes, Hockey pucks. Or

Tirerack.com is usually where I get mine and just have them shipped to me or my installer. I'll probably switch to my favorite continental dws06 when these are spent. They're usually good for high mileage, grip as well as wet and snow driving. I'll have to see what the road noise is like I haven't ran them on an EV.
From Vancouver Canada - I have had two tire punctures on my Y. The first at about 500K and tesla did a fair job regarding the tire loan except because of the area where the tire was damaged it could not be repaired. Had to buy a new tire! The second happened two days ago at 7,500k. Went onto the Tesla app and filled out the help questions including advising them that that I had after market Rims. Had to wait to the following day for the tire people to fit me in.When they arrived, they refused to even look at the tire as the rim was after market. I then had to call out the BCAA who pumped the tire for me and followed me to a tire retail store that helped me out. The quote from Tesla was CAD150.00 if tire could be repaired or CAD700 if a new tire was required. BCAA cost zero, retail store charged me CAD50 to fix the puncture!
Moral of the story - I need to buy a small compressor and a tire repair kit to keep in the car. Yesterday was a wasted day for me!

I know this may not work for some, but I buy a set of tires from Tire Rack, get then delivered to my house, put them in the back and drive to a tire store to have them mounted: Last time, that service cost me about $75, and the tires were less than $1000 for the four.

As to tire punctures, I carry a plug kit (< $20) and a small compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter, and can fix the tires while on the car, no removing of the wheel or tire, just plug and play. I haven't used the repair kit for over 100,000 miles, though.

Yes, Hockey pucks. Or

And if you look carefully, those are literally hockey pucks with a piece of rubber screwed on.