Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, jacks won’t make a difference. The only thing that matters is that they mount the hockey pucks into the jack points so that the jack or lift is not directly touching the battery frame.

But if you live in an area with a lot of Teslas these businesses have probably done thousands of tire rotations on them by now so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

The more I think about the Discount Tire thing though the more hesitant I am to use them. At least with Costco I’m paying them a small fee to do the work. That means if something goes wrong I can hold them liable to pay for the damages. I’m really not sure what would happen if you ask Discount Tire to rotate your tires for free and then they damage the car. I’m not a legal expert but I know in general you have to pay for a service before you can hold someone liable for damages.

good point re: liability and jack points. I won't go to that DT since they don't have that many Teslas where I work. I might have trek out to Scottsdale. They did say something about other sports cars needing pucks too??

Maybe I'll also prepay for a TPMS I need for another car so that I can have a bill.Also would comprehensive insurance take care of damage? Not that I want to test that theory..

Maybe I'll also prepay for a TPMS I need for another car so that I can have a bill.Also would comprehensive insurance take care of damage? Not that I want to test that theory..

Good question. I really don’t know. In general insurance covers accidents. So if the tire center damages your car while performing a service the insurance company would have to determine if the event could be deemed an accident, and one that is covered by your policy.

Reactions: vickh
If you have the opportunity to ask them what their policy is I would like to know. The Michelin warranty is 2/32 but if America’s Tire is willing to give credit at 3/32 that would be a benefit over Costco.
Just got back from replacing all my tires. The tire gauge that Americas Tire gives out to customers shows replacement at 3/32. Mine had 3/32. All replaced today.

If you have the opportunity to ask them what their policy is I would like to know. The Michelin warranty is 2/32 but if America’s Tire is willing to give credit at 3/32 that would be a benefit over Costco.

Does AT/DT eat the difference?

also curious if you still get that with OEM tires? I believe another thread they said Michelin stopped the practice.

Does AT/DT eat the difference?

also curious if you still get that with OEM tires? I believe another thread they said Michelin stopped the practice.

They removed the premature wear part of the warranty on the OEM tires some time around 2018 so you are not likely to see any credit. Although some forum members have stated that DT/AT has given them partial credit on them. It may be an error, or customer goodwill. Not really sure.

• Informative
They removed the premature wear part of the warranty on the OEM tires some time around 2018 so you are not likely to see any credit. Although some forum members have stated that DT/AT has given them partial credit on them. It may be an error, or customer goodwill. Not really sure.

yes, I've used that Michelin policy at DT and other stores but it's been a while. they would not let me price match so it might have been good will.

Hopefully it's only for OEMs? Otherwise I'm looking for another tire co. Michelin's were the best since tread lasted a while here in AZ, but dry rot would need replacement.

Did you get any credit for premature wear?
Yes. I always get a credit. I get a new set every 12K miles for my S & 3. I went with the Pilot Sport this time instead of primacy. The credit from Michelin can be used on any Michelin tire. I may try the Cross Climate tires next year. Tire guy had them on his car and really liked them They work on the 3.

I gave up on up on buying tires from Costco. Yes, they will rotate them for free, but it took forever, even with an appointment. Discount Tire is much quicker for me, is next to a Panera and is very quick with the service, same (free) price.

I didn’t buy the Tesla tires them (they are still original) but I’ve bought two sets from them for other cars - they happily said, “oh you replaced that car with a Tesla. No problem, we’ll just note it and rotate your tires for free.” I’m sure they are betting on me getting my next set from them, they are probably right.

Last edited:
Yes. I always get a credit. I get a new set every 12K miles for my S & 3. I went with the Pilot Sport this time instead of primacy. The credit from Michelin can be used on any Michelin tire. I may try the Cross Climate tires next year. Tire guy had them on his car and really liked them They work on the 3.

That is the tire I’m thinking about getting when my OEM’s wear out. Looks like they should perform very well on the Model 3. Hopefully you will get more than 12K miles on them. Warranty is 30K.

yes, I've used that Michelin policy at DT and other stores but it's been a while. they would not let me price match so it might have been good will.

Hopefully it's only for OEMs? Otherwise I'm looking for another tire co. Michelin's were the best since tread lasted a while here in AZ, but dry rot would need replacement.

Yes, the limitation is on OEM tires, not retail ones. But read the Michelin warranty carefully so you know what they expect from you:

You can’t claim anything until the tires hit 2/32. They have to show even wear and you have to provide proof that you rotated the tires every 8,000 miles (even though Tesla only recommends 10,000). And if you prefer not to wear your tires down to 2/32 before you replace them you can not claim anything on the warranty.

Now DT/AT may be more generous in how they handle claims, especially if you bought the tires from them and you are planning on buying replacement tires there as well. But at some point you need to compare the actual price you are paying at DT/AT, with the premature wear credits, to the price at Costco for the same tires but no wear credit. That will tell you whether you are really getting a true credit.

When I compared the price of the Pilot Sport 4S at AT vs Costco, the Costco price was about $140 less. And as an executive member I get 2% back on all purchases.

Try Americas Tire. My wife's model 3 had the tires rotated there. No cost.
I second this motion “America’s Tire” “Discount Tire” have been spectacular to us and rotate our tires for free, plug holes for free and will match anyone’s prices including Costco’s with coupons AND I can make an appointment so I get in and out in under an hour. They handle all our vehicles not just our S including tractor, quad and trailer tires. I like to see good quality businesses succeed.

I second this motion “America’s Tire” “Discount Tire” have been spectacular to us and rotate our tires for free, plug holes for free and will match anyone’s prices including Costco’s with coupons AND I can make an appointment so I get in and out in under an hour. They handle all our vehicles not just our S including tractor, quad and trailer tires. I like to see good quality businesses succeed.

+1 The founder ( who recently died) was AZ's richest man, thanks to his quality business approach (Long term not transactional)

Do they have a Michelin Energy Saver version that fit the 3? I've had them on other sedans (Got the Michelin LTX for the highlander)

Yes, the limitation is on OEM tires, not retail ones. But read the Michelin warranty carefully so you know what they expect from you:

You can’t claim anything until the tires hit 2/32. They have to show even wear and you have to provide proof that you rotated the tires every 8,000 miles (even though Tesla only recommends 10,000). And if you prefer not to wear your tires down to 2/32 before you replace them you can not claim anything on the warranty.

Now DT/AT may be more generous in how they handle claims, especially if you bought the tires from them and you are planning on buying replacement tires there as well. But at some point you need to compare the actual price you are paying at DT/AT, with the premature wear credits, to the price at Costco for the same tires but no wear credit. That will tell you whether you are really getting a true credit.

When I compared the price of the Pilot Sport 4S at AT vs Costco, the Costco price was about $140 less. And as an executive member I get 2% back on all purchases.

Thanks will factor in the warranty and get the rotations. Too late for the 8k but will do it b/f 10K

BTW DT price matches everyone (even online)

I dropped down in wheel size from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 TS-5 wheels and called Costco in Elk Grove, CA to make sure they would install tires on wheels that are a different size than what's on the door jamb. The tire salesman/installer actually told me it was illegal to drop down in wheel size. He said it's okay to go up in wheel size, but illegal to go down in size. After he said that, I didn't want them touching my car and went to America's Tires across the street. In and out in about 35 minutes and they have their own set of jack pad adapters.