Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Costco will only fill my tires to the door jam number, in my case it's 45psi, earlier cars are 42psi. I asked them to lower it because I think 45psi cold is too rough, they won't do it. When on the freeway my tires are always at 50psi.

It's not a rough ride to me, but then again I prefer to feel the road.

i like to feel the road too, it's the potholes on the freeway I worry about. Our city does a good job paving local streets and they feel so smooth. This is why I wish they'd offer air suspension on the 3/Y. I might do an aftermarket option after warranty expires...

My local Costco will only fill my tires to the door jam number, in my case it's 45psi, earlier cars are 42psi. I asked them to lower it because I think 45psi cold is too rough, they won't do it. When on the freeway my tires are always at 50psi.

why not lower it yourself or go to DT they'll do it.

I dropped down in wheel size from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 TS-5 wheels and called Costco in Elk Grove, CA to make sure they would install tires on wheels that are a different size than what's on the door jamb. The tire salesman/installer actually told me it was illegal to drop down in wheel size. He said it's okay to go up in wheel size, but illegal to go down in size. After he said that, I didn't want them touching my car and went to America's Tires across the street. In and out in about 35 minutes and they have their own set of jack pad adapters.
ILLEGAL!? That guy's crazy...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
I'm afraid I'll go too far and then unable to re-inflate it back up, I suppose I can go to DT but my local one always has a line even for inflating tires. I wonder if there are tire pressure gauges that can deflate tire while monitoring pressure.
You might want to consider something like this anyway: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since the 3 has no spare, suppose you're on the road and get a slow leak, like from a nail puncture. With a pump, you can inflate the tire every 10 miles (or whatever) until you get someplace to have it fixed. I bought this as anti-stranding insurance. It's also, "oops--I let out too much air" insurance. ;)

Works great on bikes too!

You might want to consider something like this anyway: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Since the 3 has no spare, suppose you're on the road and get a slow leak, like from a nail puncture. With a pump, you can inflate the tire every 10 miles (or whatever) until you get someplace to have it fixed. I bought this as anti-stranding insurance. It's also, "oops--I let out too much air" insurance. ;)

Works great on bikes too!

I bought that one initially from Amazon and it blew a fuse on both of my Model 3’s. I know others have said it seemed to work fine so I’m not sure why I had no luck with it. My 20 year old pump that has never failed also blew a fuse on both Model 3’s. From that experience I’ve learned to stay away from things that require being plugged in to the cigarette adapter.

I bought that one initially from Amazon and it blew a fuse on both of my Model 3’s. I know others have said it seemed to work fine so I’m not sure why I had no luck with it. My 20 year old pump that has never failed also blew a fuse on both Model 3’s. From that experience I’ve learned to stay away from things that require being plugged in to the cigarette adapter.
Hmm. Never had a problem. I've used it on both our car and our son's Model 3. (And my father-in-law's Subaru.) Thanks for making me nervous! :oops:

$60 lifetime + rotation. I then took my suv in for the same at a different store and they did it for free.
I suspect it was free on good will because I talked to them about replacements.

Interesting. My $26.99 price at Costco included both rotation and balancing. So it would take three visits to AT to make that a better deal than the Costco price. But I’m guessing that I may only need two rotations on the OEM tires before they wear out. After that if I buy the replacement tires at Costco the rotation and balancing would be free.

So the “free” offer at AT is not quite as good of a deal as it first sounded to be.