Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco told me Michelin X-ice Xi3 wont fit with my SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at Costco Burlington yesterday and was going to get a new set of winter tires. I saw on the forums people were talking about how great Michelin X-ice Xi3, so decided to order a set. The lady working at the Tire center told me because of the speed rating it wont fit my SR+ , I mentioned it to her that online people have been installing it and works great so she checked with the Tire guy and he also said no.

I have experienced the same situation at a Costco near me. They have said that going down a speed rating will cause the speedometer not to be correct, and handling to not be good. I believe that is untrue and handling should not be affected greatly. They said they do not recommend me installing them but I went ahead and got them installed, everything seems fine and did not experience any handling issues last season. I am surprised that they did not let you buy them and get them installed..

That is ridiculous. The only difference between the default all-season Michelin and XI3 is the speed rating, which is in this case is H instead of W. H means the tire is good for driving up to 130mph (210km/h). Call another Costco or just go to another tire shop that will match Costco's price and warranty. It's not that hard to find an alternative shop.

@jamesspice thanks for sharing, I also live in Burlington and was planning on buying X-Ice Xi3's from Costco, as this has been my tire of choice for the last 7 years. I bought another set of 18" areo's rims which should be coming in this weekend. Have you talked to Burlington Tire? Nice to meet someone from Burlington.

@Flexbomb I also bought the R187's, but read some people have had issues? How has your experience been?

Try Kal Tire - they will definitely install these tires and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
I didn't get a Costco quote for the Model 3, but the Kal quote for my Toyota was lower than the Costco quote.
Kal quote for the Model 3 (X-Ice Xi3's, tires only) was 1195.14 all in, tax incl.
I'm still undecided between the X-Ice and the Nokian, which is an even lower speed rating.(T vs H).

Try Kal Tire - they will definitely install these tires and I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.
I didn't get a Costco quote for the Model 3, but the Kal quote for my Toyota was lower than the Costco quote.
Kal quote for the Model 3 (X-Ice Xi3's, tires only) was 1195.14 all in, tax incl.
I'm still undecided between the X-Ice and the Nokian, which is an even lower speed rating.(T vs H).
Maybe check and see if the Nokians are even an option. I could not find any place that could find Hakka R3s in 235/45R18 in Montreal. I was told after a verification that there are 10K demands in Canada and only 400 deliveries will be fulfilled this year.

Maybe check and see if the Nokians are even an option. I could not find any place that could find Hakka R3s in 235/45R18 in Montreal. I was told after a verification that there are 10K demands in Canada and only 400 deliveries will be fulfilled this year.

You can always go up a size. That's what I did last year because they were out of stock of the 235/45/18 98Ws - they're flawless; got stuck once when I thought I could park in a mountain of snow downtown. Had to shovel out :oops:

245/45/18 at 100T I think... I'll have to check next time I'm home.

Here's the website specs; speed rating is T... just don't mash as hard as you would in the summer :D

upload_2019-10-29_16-58-59.png

upload_2019-10-29_16-59-19.png

Last edited:
Stopped at Costco Burlington yesterday and was going to get a new set of winter tires. I saw on the forums people were talking about how great Michelin X-ice Xi3, so decided to order a set. The lady working at the Tire center told me because of the speed rating it wont fit my SR+ , I mentioned it to her that online people have been installing it and works great so she checked with the Tire guy and he also said no.

That's bizarre - if you spec out tires for the SR+ on the Costco.ca site, the Xi3 is one of the recommended tires. I have them on order to my local Costco. I would be shocked if they refuse to install them.

Yeah, speed rating won't matter here since it's highly illegal to drive 200+ km/h, plus doing that in winter would be dumb anyway. That Costco is just CYA. Go somewhere else, you will be fine with this tires and rims....unless of course you do plan on driving that far 6 on winter tires.

It's actually funny they have a speed rating that high on winter tires even. Who wants to travel that fast in sub zero weather anyway?

I second the Kal Tire suggestion.
Thirds for Kal.

Went to Costco (for the first time ever) with the Tesla to save a few bucks and what a royal PITA. Took me 3 trips to get them to finally install tires onto my rims, but had to take the rims to Kal to mount them on the car.

Because the downtown Vancouver store had never done a model 3 below, they had to wait to get a special tool in (wasted visit #1), wouldn't mount a lower rated speed tire (AS3+, which was the 'recommended' tire I bought via the website) (wasted visit #2) unless I came back to discuss with a particular manager (no mention of this on wasted visit #1), and then on my third visit would only do it when one particular manager was on staff who would do the first install with the new tool (and he called in sick, so I had to argue with them to just mount the tires on the rims (they won't mount with TPMS not bought at Costco, yet Costco didn't have them in stock the first time and didn't mention that on wasted visit #1 when I said I would just order them on Amazon). Drove straight to Kal, apologized for being disloyal and they mounted them as I waited.

Never going back to Costco for tires. I know tons of fans, but just not worth it, at least for me, particularly after experiencing the service offered by a shop like Kal (and honesty--they told me to stick to 18" rims and don't go staggered (unless aesthetics are more important than $) as the RWDs--in particular--will chew through tires on these cars).

Thirds for Kal.

Went to Costco (for the first time ever) with the Tesla to save a few bucks and what a royal PITA. Took me 3 trips to get them to finally install tires onto my rims, but had to take the rims to Kal to mount them on the car.

Because the downtown Vancouver store had never done a model 3 below, they had to wait to get a special tool in (wasted visit #1), wouldn't mount a lower rated speed tire (AS3+, which was the 'recommended' tire I bought via the website) (wasted visit #2) unless I came back to discuss with a particular manager (no mention of this on wasted visit #1), and then on my third visit would only do it when one particular manager was on staff who would do the first install with the new tool (and he called in sick, so I had to argue with them to just mount the tires on the rims (they won't mount with TPMS not bought at Costco, yet Costco didn't have them in stock the first time and didn't mention that on wasted visit #1 when I said I would just order them on Amazon). Drove straight to Kal, apologized for being disloyal and they mounted them as I waited.

Never going back to Costco for tires. I know tons of fans, but just not worth it, at least for me, particularly after experiencing the service offered by a shop like Kal (and honesty--they told me to stick to 18" rims and don't go staggered (unless aesthetics are more important than $) as the RWDs--in particular--will chew through tires on these cars).

When did you goto Costco? Back in October, 2018, Downtown Costco flat out said they don't work on Tesla's so I ended up going to 1010Tires.