Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costs for fixing out of warranty Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I made a thread for buy vs lease which has generated some interesting discussion for either option .For the ones who held for years:

1 - How often do you need service?
2 - What usually goes wrong?
3 - How much did it cost?

I was at a service center to pick up a wall connector and saw a sign and the hourly rates looked brutal. Was either $150 or $250 hourly. Too much mental trauma so I didn't commit the actual number to memory.

Original Thread here:
Is it actually smart to lease a Tesla?

There isn't much data on this as there are only a small number of cars out of warranty so far. There also aren't any cars out of drivetrain warranty and won't be for another four years.

The big repairs that I have heard of out of warranty are for the MCU and the door handles, which both seem like fairly common failures and both are quite expensive to fix. The MCU is at least $2900 and the door handles are like $1200. Something else to keep in mind is that Tesla has a solid monopoly on repairs. They are the only source for new parts (salvage parts off wrecks are possible) and alot of the parts cannot be installed without using the Tesla Toolbox software as they require a firmware update. In addition there are quite a number of parts that are 'Restricted' and won't be sold, even to owners. Those parts will only be installed by the service centers. So you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever they feel like charging.

So to anwser your list

1: Frequently. This will vary per individual, but it has been my experience and is backed up by the consumer reports data (The closest thing to objective data you will find)

2: Door handles, 12V Battery, MCU, Sunroof, Drive unit noises

3: Alot.

Just like any other car there will be people that figure out how to fix them themselves. The door handles for example: the major failure mode is a broken wire from a limit switch in the handle assembly. Rather than paying $1000 for a new handle, you can easily repair it for the cost of a new switch or even repair the existing switch.

from what i gathered on this forum, the drive unit issues were for older cars and not in the new ones.

personally, if i had to pay 5k out of warranty that's still not bad if that's the total cost every 4 years. my old 3 series had lots of issues towards the end that cost almost that much as well.

now, if costs were like 20k for the battery or drive unit repair, that would be unbearable.

am i being too chill about cost of car ownership? i feel like nice cars can be $$ to maintain too.