Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costs of Ownership & Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering pre-ordering a Tesla 3 and could use some info from those more familiar with the brand and its history.

1) I'm aware there are fewer moving parts to maintain with electric cars, but have heard conflicting stories on the actual maintenance costs. Can model s owners comment on what a tesla owner can expect regarding costs outside of charging that can be seen over the course of the first couple years.

2) I've read the sticky post on the $7500 rebate. I haven't pre-ordered yet and realize i'd be at the end of a very long line. This is a multi part question:

Does Tesla build cars in the order that they are placed? or are the highest spec'd models usually first off the conveyor belt?

Let's say 200,000 tesla sold is a model 3 -- is there any chance I'd be within that 3 or 6 month span (depending on 2017 or 2018) for getting my car. Not sure what turnaround time generally is for car manufacturers, or more specifically Tesla, who seem to be creating their own playing field.

Thanks for any comments on these questions

To answer your first question, i've owned my Model S since September (CPO), its a 2013 Model S, Currently with 45K KM's on it.

For out of pocket maintenance.
1) I (and the previous owner -appear) to have a heavy foot as the Stock micheline Primacy's have worn down in the back to the wear bars. tires are therefore the only expense for me right now and that cost comes down to a matter of choice.
2) the breaks look like new and will last 100K km's due to the Regen braking
3) i replaced the windshield wipers this winter (canada,s winters arent kind to them)
4) i put 2 cans of bug juice (windshield fluid) in so far
5) all other items i've had to deal with were handled by the service center under warranty.
6) no oil changes, no other fluid changes, electronic power steering so no fluids
7) my only real cost will be the next Tesla thing i will want to buy being a big fan and avid supporter of Musks mission.

so all in all. buy the car, over 6 to 7 year life and 250,000km's that i expect to drive it will probably use 5 sets of tires, maybe 3 sets of brakes.

the last i did the math the Model S cost of Ownership is similar to a new Mercedes C300 over the afore mentioned time line/km's

Thanks for the response. I've read elsewhere that the tires lasted under 25K miles. I guess that is part of owning a performance car. Did you goto the dealer for replacement? From what I read, its over $1000 for 4 tires.

Anyone else able to report on what costs or savings they've had with their tesla that differ from a gasoline vehicle? Would you say it costs more or less than a traditional car after you take delivery?

To answer your first question, i've owned my Model S since September (CPO), its a 2013 Model S, Currently with 45K KM's on it.

1) I (and the previous owner -appear) to have a heavy foot as the Stock micheline Primacy's have worn down in the back to the wear bars. tires are therefore the only expense for me right now and that cost comes down to a matter of choice.
3) i replaced the windshield wipers this winter (canada,s winters arent kind to them)
5) all other items i've had to deal with were handled by the service center under warranty.
6) no oil changes, no other fluid changes, electronic power steering so no fluids
7) my only real cost will be the next Tesla thing i will want to buy being a big fan and avid supporter of Musks mission.

so all in all. buy the car, over 6 to 7 year life and 250,000km's that i expect to drive it will probably use 5 sets of tires, maybe 3 sets of brakes.

the last i did the math the Model S cost of Ownership is similar to a new Mercedes C300 over the afore mentioned time line/km's

Thanks for the response. I've read elsewhere that the tires lasted under 25K miles. I guess that is part of owning a performance car. Did you goto the dealer for replacement? From what I read, its over $1000 for 4 tires.

Anyone else able to report on what costs or savings they've had with their tesla that differ from a gasoline vehicle? Would you say it costs more or less than a traditional car after you take delivery?

No dealer, dont like the markup, the micheline's are approx $325/corner. but you can get discount tires already around $200/corner from 1010tires if thats your kind of flavor.

I ended up buying some from a fellow member.

Dec 2013 build 85, purchased Jan 2014. 60,000km and the tires are still fine (stock 19's Michelin), I'll probably get another winter out of them.

Brakes are rarely used; I'll be surprised if I have to service them more than once before the warranty is up in 5+ years.

Zero other maintenance costs, I haven't even put windshield fluid in. Unless you count Rain-X and tire cleaner and wand-wash charges, I've washed this car more already than all the other cars I've owned put together. They don't warn you about that.

what about changing out the brake fluid? Have you done that service? If so could you share the cost?

Same question for cabin air filter.

Does Tesla build cars in the order that they are placed? or are the highest spec'd models usually first off the conveyor belt?

Yes and No. Once Tesla is ready to make cars the following things will effect how soon yours is made current status, your location, how many options you order

Employee, Owner, non-owner
1) Current Employees get preference over current owners and non-owners
2) Current Tesla Owners get preference over non owners
3) non owners get no preference

Location order
1) West Coast
2) Mid West
3) East Coast

# of options in car
1) Highest Options
2) Mid range of options
3) low end or no options

Lastly also playing into the equation is the time you placed your reservation. No one knows how these factors are weighted so its impossible to tell right now where you are in the list.

Let's say 200,000 tesla sold is a model 3 -- is there any chance I'd be within that 3 or 6 month span (depending on 2017 or 2018) for getting my car. Not sure what turnaround time generally is for car manufacturers, or more specifically Tesla, who seem to be creating their own playing field.

Tesla wants to build 90,000 cars this year and 500,000 cars in 2020. This is the only official word we have from them. Others have used these to infer what production rates will be in 2018 (first full year of model 3 production providing they are on time).

Reservations are supposedly around 400k right now. I would say its unlikely you as a non-owner, non employee, East Coaster, placing your reservation now could get your car in year 1 of prduction unless you order a highly optioned model. This is an opinion so don't take my word for it.

• Informative
Reactions: flamingoezz

One can't forget the cost of subscribing to the OTA updates as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but that equates to $500/year?

not sure where the OTA cost came from, but thats free and included. if you however have the ranger come to your house (and are outside of their specified zone) they will charge you, that may be what you are referring to, but if you get it done at the service center or within the zone there is no cost.

this is pretty helpful: Service plans

However, the pricing sounds very very high.

12,500: Inspection, wipers, cabin filter, key fob battery = $400? On a regular car this would probably be about $75
25,000: Above + brake fluid and A/C service and its now $700? Those services should be $150 max.
Yes, routine Tesla service is very expensive. I'd like to believe that it will come down eventually but that's hard to predict because Tesla is expanding service capability and that costs money.

One nice thing to be aware of is that for warranty service if the car isn't driveable Tesla will pick up the car up to 500 miles away at no cost. If the car is driveable the owner is expected to bring it to the service center for the work. If that policy remains the same for the Model 3 it will be helpful for those of us who live far from service centers.

Yes, routine Tesla service is very expensive. I'd like to believe that it will come down eventually but that's hard to predict because Tesla is expanding service capability and that costs money.

One nice thing to be aware of is that for warranty service if the car isn't driveable Tesla will pick up the car up to 500 miles away at no cost. If the car is driveable the owner is expected to bring it to the service center for the work. If that policy remains the same for the Model 3 it will be helpful for those of us who live far from service centers.

can brake fluid be done anywhere besides a service center? This seems like something any shop can do

can brake fluid be done anywhere besides a service center? This seems like something any shop can do
I don't know; someone who knows more about it will have to say. A lot of the Tesla equipment is hidden and not easily accessible to someone unfamiliar with the car and that could be a problem with things like a brake fluid flush. Even jumping or changing the 12V battery is difficult, due to access.