TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Could a guy part out a SRplus and break even?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Tethla#1, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Tethla#1

Tethla#1 New Member

So I have a White SRplus with 3k miles on it. Its not working out for me and I really dont want to talk about that. My question is could I start parting the whole car out and pay off my 43K loan? ready? go!

• Funny x 11
    • Disagree x 1
  2. mbbb

mbbb Member

I think this a poor idea. Keep in mind the value of the individual pieces is probably less than they are selling the car for. Labor obviously accounts for cost. Lots of the value is in the software too! If the car works well, just sell the car. SR+ are 8+ weeks out so there is definitely a market to sell your car. In the private market you could probably do just fine. Not saying you pay off your whole 43k loan, but you can probably get close.

• Like x 2
  3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

That depends entirey on your ability to find folks who will buy your used parts at fairly high prices.

There's a moderately famous study out there where in the 90s they went to the trouble of pricing every part in a Taurus from the dealer, and the $18k car required $90k in parts at retail price plus assembly.

While the differences aren't likely quite that vast, undoubtedly Tesla charges more for all the parts that make up the car bought individually than they do for the car itself.

The question is, can you find buyers for all the parts? It's not something I'd want to do, but there are folks who can make money doing it I think.

4. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Given the relatively low numbers of them on the road requiring parts, it could be a long process.

We used to do this with (far more common) cars when we were doing demolition derbies years back. We'd sell our straight panels to people in trade for a low cash amount and their bent ones (that would go back on ours) to help fund the costs (plus air conditioners, glass, lights etc that we didn't need). Even with the far more common vehicles we were destroying it was slow going getting rid of panels and glass. Engines and transmissions went quickly.

TLDR: I think you'll be sitting with a partial SR+ for a long time with far less cash from the process, compared with selling it whole.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. TomB985

TomB985 Member

I think it’s pretty unlikely. The overwhelming majority of these cars are under warranty, meaning there just isn’t much of a market for the pricey mechanicals. The battery is probably worth more than almost anything else, but extremely few have driven enough miles to be out of battery warranty.

I haven’t heard of someone that had a failure out of warranty. If you were asking this two years from now, it might be a different proposition.

• Like x 1
  6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Maybe if your time is worth nothing.
    People seem to be selling individual battery cells on eBay for $8. That would almost cover the whole thing! :D

Whole LR packs go for $12k.

7. azred

azred Active Member

We hear how easily Teslas burn.

• Funny x 2
  8. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Member

I know a guy who will stop the bleeding at 30k.

What’s not working out for you?

9. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Member

The good news is that if your car is in good shape, the Model 3's are holding a high value on the used market now. US delivery is two months right now, and there is no federal credits. Put it out there and see.

• Like x 1
  10. glide

glide Active Member

Nope. Not even close.

11. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Better to buy something like this for sub $20k and part out. I would if I had the time and space.

Also all parts won’t sell at once. You’ll get that battery, airbags, wheels, and rear motor gone quick but the rest will take time to liquidate. I’d say sell your SR+ outright if you need it gone.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range | eBay

12. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Go to eBay, search sold listings, add it all up and report back. I'm curious. :D

• Like x 1
  13. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Me!

14. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

No, but a girl could

o_O

• Like x 2
  15. ALSETJC

ALSETJC Member

Only situation you would want part it out is if it was stolen....
    ;)

Otherwise sell it .

• Like x 1
  16. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

Beat me to it...

• Funny x 1
  17. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

If the car is in perfect working order with no history - this would have to be one the worst ideas I've seen on a car forum lol.

• Like x 1
  18. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

I’ll give you $100 for the battery.

• Funny x 1
  19. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

It appears to me that the OPs question is more to "spark discussion" than any real desire to part out the car.

• Like x 1
  20. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

I would think the lien holder of the loan would have a problem with destroying the value of their property by dismantling it.

• Like x 7