Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could a guy part out a SRplus and break even?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think the lien holder of the loan would have a problem with destroying the value of their property by dismantling it.

But its a mistake to think that everyone who buys these cars has a lienholder. Many people pay cash for them, so you cant make an automatic assumption like that. its still a silly idea by this OP though, and I maintain that the post was just made to get people to talk about something. Has all the classic hallmarks of such a post, and the OP is basically telling us he just wants conversation on the topic by saying "ready, go!".

Also, no other engagement by the OP so far on the post, and this is this OPs first post. Fairly classic signs. Not all 1st posts are "attempts to start discussion", but I have been around forums long enough to notice ones that are that type, and thats what this one looks like.

FWIW quite a few people have been able to profitably part out lots of Teslas.

Rich rebuilds and others have famously gotten essentially free, fully working, cars by buying several wrecked ones, making one good one, and parting out all the rest of the parts to cover 100% (or more) of their costs.

That said- the math there assumes your time is worth $0.00, and that you're in no particular hurry to find buyers for every part.

Also they were starting from salvage cars at slashed pricing compared to your "new" one.

COULD you get all your money back, eventually, putting no value on your time? Maybe.

Does it make any sense at all compared to selling the working car for a small (because used values are stupidly high on model 3s right now) loss? Nope.

Pondering out loud here..

if you got a low interest loan on the car.

Then life changes, and now you want/need cash w/o paying off the loan immediately..

Part it out, keep the cash, and keep making the monthly payments.

It would then be a low interest personal loan.. And 100% against the loan contract.. and my guess is fraud / illegal.

if you sold the car outright, the lender would have to be paid before the new owner could title it.

This seems like a bad idea.. but people make bad decisions for good reasons all the time.

But its a mistake to think that everyone who buys these cars has a lienholder. Many people pay cash for them, so you cant make an automatic assumption like that. its still a silly idea by this OP though, and I maintain that the post was just made to get people to talk about something. Has all the classic hallmarks of such a post, and the OP is basically telling us he just wants conversation on the topic by saying "ready, go!".

Also, no other engagement by the OP so far on the post, and this is this OPs first post. Fairly classic signs. Not all 1st posts are "attempts to start discussion", but I have been around forums long enough to notice ones that are that type, and thats what this one looks like.
OP has 43k loan. read the original post.

If this was a way to make easy money, there would be a lot of people doing it. And then there'd be so many people doing it that it wouldn't be possible to make any money doing it.

Heck, even if it was a hard way to make money, there'd be people doing it.

You're going to have to accept the fact that this one is gonna hurt a bit, or keep the car and drive it.