Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could a M3 make it up my driveway

Dishnu

Sep 14, 2021
Seattle
I am looking at a Tesla in the near future and I dont know if it would get damaged when pulling in to my driveway, any advice
20210928_155028.jpg

tarndt

Feb 3, 2020
Ottawa
They are pretty low clearance (and its a flat bottom, not just a muffler hanging low). The part that might scrape is unfortunately the most expensive part of the car as opposed to a (relatively) cheap muffler or catalytic converter. I definitely wouldn't try it with ny car (based on the perceived angle).

P3dStealth

Nov 12, 2019
USA
The Model 3 non-performance has similar ground clearance to your dodge caravan. M3 5.5", caravan 5.8".

Does that caravan in your driveway hit? If it scrapes I would no go on the M3. You won't be scraping the frame like a reg car. You would be scraping the battery.

Need

Nov 22, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
I back my Model 3 up my driveway. I don't know if that actually make a difference, but I feel like the back has more clearance. And also I don't have to pull out he charging cord too far away from the garage to charge the car.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
I am looking at a Tesla in the near future and I dont know if it would get damaged when pulling in to my driveway, any advice
Looks challenging, but no way to tell conclusively from the picture alone.
As others stated, find a way to take a car for a test drive through your driveway. Then repeat with +1+3 passengers in the test car. Draw conclusions based on test results.

The part that might scrape is unfortunately the most expensive part of the car
If TM3 at all scrapes, it would be while cresting over the hill from the driveway to the level section next to the entrance.
The part that would scrape is NOT the battery, but the longitudinal support rails/sills that house lifting points for the car. Not great, and not something I would want to entertain regularly, but definitely not tragic either.

HTH,
a

bjrosen

Apr 19, 2019
Westford MA
Is there a hump at the top? I've scraped bottom on my Model 3 on a driveway that has a hump where it meets the road. I'd repave that driveway, it's a mess. I'd also look at the Y instead of the 3.

Reactions: Big Earl

boriszima

Jul 12, 2018
Los Angeles
Is there a hump at the top? I've scraped bottom on my Model 3 on a driveway that has a hump where it meets the road. I'd repave that driveway, it's a mess. I'd also look at the Y instead of the 3.
While the question was on Model 3, i do agree here. OP might be better off with a Model Y that has a bit of higher clearance,

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon
I only said "try reverse" because we had a very steep driveway with a sharp angle at the street and the Audi TT that I had would scrape so bad that I tried it in reverse. It worked and did not scrape when I went down the driveway. Just giving my experience on that, may not work for you.

TexasTezla

Feb 28, 2020
Texas
I would love to however I'm immune compromised and stuck at home for now.
Its a touchless experience. I was just handed a key and told where the car was and to bring it back when I was done. Just wear a mask and put on some latex gloves if you are worried or take some wipes to wipe down the steering wheel and stalks and screen. You take the car out on your own, not with anyone else.

Reactions: Dishnu

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC