Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Acceleration Boost Cause Increased Battery Degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elevated discharge rates (C-rate) are one of the many factors that induce cell stress. This is not really a factor for most people, as most of us don't have an environment in which extended, rapid discharging is possible. But if someone were doing lots of track days, or spending lots of hours driving at high speeds, or regularly enjoying acceleration launches, then the extra power made available via AB (and, hence, the extra discharge rate) could be a factor. Conversely, a car driven in Chill mode over its lifetime is likely to see better battery health, all else being equal.

The bottom line is that the way you drive your EV will dictate how your battery pack is affected, not the amount of latent power your drivetrain possesses.

Reactions: AAKEE
Fun to see my old thread revived.

Here is an updated chart from my car. After the boost upgrade the battery fell from 310 to 293. So the sudden drop was 17 miles of range. It then held fairly steady for the next 20,000 miles. It then quickly lost another 15 miles, falling to 278 where it has been sitting for the last 10,000 miles.

Seems like range updates come in 15 miles chunks, and it was probably just a coincidence the first drop happened immediately after the boost.

battery_test.jpeg

Reactions: AAKEE and GtiMart
Fun to see my old thread revived.

Here is an updated chart from my car. After the boost upgrade the battery fell from 310 to 293. So the sudden drop was 17 miles of range. It then held fairly steady for the next 20,000 miles. It then quickly lost another 15 miles, falling to 278 where it has been sitting for the last 10,000 miles.

Seems like range updates come in 15 miles chunks, and it was probably just a coincidence the first drop happened immediately after the boost.

View attachment 801967
Damn 15 miles is quite a lot

I guess less mileage is reasonable since performance takes a toll as well , but I guess battery degradation is what I’m worry the most

that graph is just a chart of the BMS guess. Let the bms take readings at different points along the charge and I bet you get some of it back.

I really am down at least 10% from new. Probably more since it has been 10,000 miles since the last correction.

The big corrections happening all at once rather than a steady decline is probably just an artifact of how the BMS works, but overall the loss of range is real. When I drive 100% -> 5% in a single sitting, the trip meter shows less energy came out of the battery than when I did the same thing a few years ago.

Perhaps it might be "only" 8% loss instead of 10% if I hadn't purchased the boost, but I don't believe I have any evidence of that. Range loss over time is inevitable and there is no way from just one datapoint to draw any conclusions about how much of the loss was caused by any one variable.

of course range loss over time is real but a lot of times it's not actually what the BMS shows. Its just guessing and really just driving it from full to zero is about the only way to get actual numbers.

I went on Tesla website , if LR and P uses the same size battery which was stated by another member , right off the factory the p and lr have a difference of 24 Km difference
Technically I am ok with less km the moment I do the tune , just ironically Tesla states it does not alter the Km which is bs

What we won’t know is whether battery degrades faster with the tune or not

the rating difference has to do with the wheels as there is no efficiency difference in the motors. the only difference the boost would be is that it allows you to draw higher amps from the batttery which in theory is more stress. However, it's not as much draw as the P and any difference that causes in degradation is likely negligible at most.

I went on Tesla website , if LR and P uses the same size battery which was stated by another member , right off the factory the p and lr have a difference of 24 Km difference
Technically I am ok with less km the moment I do the tune , just ironically Tesla states it does not alter the Km which is bs

The P has less range 90% because of the tires and 10% because of the aero wheels. That's it.
The tune doesn't change degradation, unless you used all that power dozens of times every day. People in Germany who do laps at the Nurburgring aren't seeing drastic changes in degredation so I really don't think this is a concern at all. Just make your daily charge limit as low as you can is the main thing.

When Tesla sold the LR and P with the same tire / wheel package, they had the exact same range. Tune has NOTHING to do with range.

Reactions: Mike1080i and SigNC
When Tesla sold the LR and P with the same tire / wheel package, they had the exact same range. Tune has NOTHING to do with range.
Fair enough
Thx a lot guys
I’m gonna tune it back , only if Tesla solve my stupid rear rattle
Been six trips , and still unresolved

To the point I almost wona sell the car
Going back again for the 7 th time, we will see lol finger crossed