Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Autopilot have prevented this?

Hilgi

Jun 25, 2020
South Jordan, UT
I have a 2020 Model 3 with FSD. I was driving early in the morning and it was dark, I did not have autopilot on but I did have the passive systems engaged. I was changing lanes due to upcoming road work when I ran over something. It is easier to see in the vid but not by me. 2020-07-06_04-31-55-front (online-video-cutter.com).mp4

Had I been navigating on Autopilot, had the distance between cars set to 7, do you think it would have not hit it?

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...do you think it would have not hit it?

Currently, FSD does hit road debris without avoiding them.

In future, FSD will be without drivers and it will even be able to avoid potholes as well. So your scenario above will be among what Musk said "small problems" by then.

However, I would not hold my breath on how soon though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hilgi

ThomasD

Nov 22, 2019
Breckenridge Co Ky
You didn't see what looks to be a tire Were you on autopilot and the car veered to the right and ran over the tire When it should have veered left and missed it on an open road

Hilgi

Jun 25, 2020
South Jordan, UT
You didn't see what looks to be a tire Were you on autopilot and the car veered to the right and ran over the tire When it should have veered left and missed it on an open road

I was not on autopilot and I had just started changing lanes, it shows up a lot sooner on vid than it did to me. Next time I drive at 4am I'll have my brights on.

Atari2600

Oct 4, 2017
Cincinnati
I hate road debris. Worst case is when people are in front of you and they don't see it and of course there is no way you can see it either. Makes the additional ground clearance of the Cybertruck very attractive.

Reactions: Tam

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC