Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could charging my vehicle clear this battery fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S 60kWh that I bought used in 2016 as a commuter car. It has only 56K miles on it, but of course is out of warranty. I have never had any trouble with drivability or power until one morning about a week ago it refused to drive (error codes below). I had driven it fine the previous day but had not plugged it in to charge overnight. It had over 100 miles of charge left at the time. The next morning it still showed that much charge but had these errors and would not shift into gear. The vehicle was able to open the charge port, but for some reason it did not unlock the port so I could not connect a cable, and at the time I was not aware that there is a hidden manual release lever for the lock. So I promptly arranged for a tow to the service center. The 12V power also was intermittent because the display would keep powering off and wouldn't reliably power back on, and we had to jump the 12V battery to get it into tow mode.

From speaking with the Tesla service people since then, Tesla has not physically inspected the car at all, but rather has just said that based on the error codes it is a problem internal to the high-voltage battery pack and the only option they offer is replacement, with the cheapest option being a remanufactured 75kWh battery for ~$15K with tax (that's without paying an extra $2250 for the extra range to be unlocked). That's nearly the vehicle's market value, though on the plus side the remanufactured part would have a 4 year / 50K mile warranty. Third-party battery replacement estimates from 057tech, recell-ev, and Electrified Garage are not any more cost-effective due to the low third-party salvage value of 60kWh packs. Gruber Motors's repair service is more cost-effective, but I understand that a lot people say their "repair" process is unsound, and in any event they have an 8 month waitlist.

So I am left wondering whether this fault might have cleared if I had used the charge port manual release lever to unlock the charge port and charged it rather than immediately towing it to Tesla. Not only was the car not charged overnight, but it also hadn't been charged to 100% in years (usually I've set the limit at 80%). I asked the service center if they would do this for me but they refused, stating that the battery's charge and its drivability are unrelated and they don't want to bother with towing it the short distance and getting power to the 12V system (despite me offering to pay the labor for that). One could interpret this as being a sign that they have enough experience to know that it can't possibly help, or one could interpret this as being a sign that they simply don't care to attempt a cheap fix when they can push an expensive fix instead. They have also refused to provide any more details on their diagnosis, so I have no way to assess their competence.

So I'm here to ask the community what it thinks. Should I tow this car back home and try to charge it, or should I trust Tesla that it's impossible?

DI_u014
GTW_w157
GTW_w017
GTW_w018
BMS_u008
BMS_w107
BMS_f107
(the key fob battery warning was already there for a week or so)

IMG_20230303_082405.jpg

or one could interpret this as being a sign that they simply don't care to attempt a cheap fix when they can push an expensive fix instead.
That's not a thing on this. Charging it won't fix major errors like that. It does sound like the battery pack is truly borked, and replacing it is just what they do. It is unfortunate that the 60 batteries don't have much salvage value, because otherwise the Recell or 057 options are pretty cost effective.

The 12V battery was replaced in July 2020. I barely drove the vehicle at all during the pandemic though, so maybe that didn't help. But if the 12V battery was the source of the problem then wouldn't the problem have temporarily cleared when the 12V was jumped to get the car into tow mode?

Indeed, but the SC is steadfastly refusing to do any troubleshooting, even at my expense. Not good customer service! I've decided I'll bring it home and try the 12V angle, and also get the parts to be able to use Scan My Tesla so that I can hopefully see what they see. And if it is indeed a failed pack (which is still likely) then I may take another look at recell-ev.

Have tried a hard reboot? That's a power-down button from the control screen inside car.

The other interesting comment you made was about only charging it to 80%. Maybe it is battery type difference.
My manual says to charge it to 100% at least once a month, AND every time I set it to 80-90%, my app tells me to charge it to 100% for the best battery longevity and performance.

My wife had a key issue that prevented her from starting the car. She rebooted her phone's Bluetooth and it resolved the issue.
Also the charge port locked preventing the release of an adapter. A hard reboot, then locking, and unlocking the port several times caused it to release.

Last edited:
The other interesting comment you made was about only charging it to 80%. Maybe it is battery type difference.
My manual says to charge it to 100% at least once a month, AND every time I set it to 80-90%, my app tells me to charge it to 100% for the best battery longevity and performance.
That's a unique thing about the very new LFP types of batteries. This thread is about an old 2013 car with the other kind of battery, where the car's screen shows a recommended charging range of 50% to 90% for "DAILY" use and then a 90% to 100% area for "TRIPS". And if you use the TRIPS area for your limit a few times in a row, the car will display a warning that it's not healthy for the battery to do that often.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Whoze
That's a unique thing about the very new LFP types of batteries. This thread is about an old 2013 car with the other kind of battery, where the car's screen shows a recommended charging range of 50% to 90% for "DAILY" use and then a 90% to 100% area for "TRIPS". And if you use the TRIPS area for your limit a few times in a row, the car will display a warning that it's not healthy for the battery to do that often.
Thanks for the info!👍

So I had it towed home and the 12V battery was dead--reading only 5V, and so of course the car wouldn't power on. I revived it with an external charger with a pulse reconditioning function and now the car powers on again, but the errors are still there. Also, it seems that this model year doesn't have a charge port manual release lever, so there's no way to charge the HV battery.

But I can now see the service mode alerts and use Scan My Tesla. The battery voltages seem normal, with only a 33mV imbalance. From talking to Recell-EV, they say these errors indicate failed electronics rather than failed/degraded cells, so they think they can repair it and their estimate is "only" $6,805.56 + $2,800 shipping.

THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC_d0018_activeAero (if I understand correctly, these first 3 are red herrings)
BMS_u025_Brick_Voltage_Limit
BMS_u008_limpMode
BMS_w173_SW_Brick6_Sense
BMS_w107_SW_Cell_Voltage_Sensor
BMS_f107_SW_Cell_Voltage_Sensor
GTW_w406_busSleepFailure
GTW_w405_12VNotSupported
The following three show up only upon attempting to shift into gear:
DI_u014_notOkToStartDrive
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO
EPAS_d048_KFC_EPB_TIMO

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-23-22-16-08-69_94e2638741edaa71cdbf930966ef5c05.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-23-22-16-08-69_94e2638741edaa71cdbf930966ef5c05.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2023-03-23-22-16-14-15_94e2638741edaa71cdbf930966ef5c05.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-23-22-16-14-15_94e2638741edaa71cdbf930966ef5c05.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 79
Okay so it turns out this model year does have a manual release but it is well-hidden. I found it thanks to the video at
. It is a pain to get to though because it is blocked by the HV cables so you have to detach them first. So instead I just used a bit of plastic to force the locking pin down and connect the charge cable, knowing that I could manually get it out the hard way if needed.

After connecting the cable, the car did make a show of starting to charge, but it did not actually charge. It would lock and say "Starting to charge" for 10 seconds or so and then something would give up and it would go back to saying "Charge port open". I could manually get it to try again by pressing the button on the charging cable or on the main display and it would do the same thing. Interestingly, unlocking worked normally while the cable was inserted, yet it would go back to the permanently locked state as soon as the cable was removed. So it seems like the car "knows" that it should not be charged while in this state and is deliberately programmed to allow a cable to be removed but not reconnected.

I also used Scan My Tesla to extract logs of the cell/brick voltage readings and did some analysis of them in a spreadsheet. Although all voltages are close, one cell/brick voltage fluctuates much more than all the others, by about 27mV vs. 15mV or less for all others.

So I think the root of the issue is that the BMS is sensing a degradation of the voltage sensor itself and is programmed to be non-functional in this condition, probably because the designers decided it would be unsafe and/or unreliable to use the pack with an inaccurate voltage sensor. And that is consistent with Recell's confidence that it's repairable.

I'm going to ship it to them for repair.

So I had it towed home and the 12V battery was dead--reading only 5V, and so of course the car wouldn't power on. I revived it with an external charger with a pulse reconditioning function and now the car powers on again, but the errors are still there. Also, it seems that this model year doesn't have a charge port manual release lever, so there's no way to charge the HV battery.

But I can now see the service mode alerts and use Scan My Tesla. The battery voltages seem normal, with only a 33mV imbalance. From talking to Recell-EV, they say these errors indicate failed electronics rather than failed/degraded cells, so they think they can repair it and their estimate is "only" $6,805.56 + $2,800 shipping.

THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC_d0018_activeAero (if I understand correctly, these first 3 are red herrings)
BMS_u025_Brick_Voltage_Limit
BMS_u008_limpMode
BMS_w173_SW_Brick6_Sense
BMS_w107_SW_Cell_Voltage_Sensor
BMS_f107_SW_Cell_Voltage_Sensor
GTW_w406_busSleepFailure
GTW_w405_12VNotSupported
The following three show up only upon attempting to shift into gear:
DI_u014_notOkToStartDrive
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO
EPAS_d048_KFC_EPB_TIMO
It's common for the older cars to have the contactors in the pack fail. This may mimic the errors you are having.