Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could home charging one day be quicker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. I live in a large upscale, gated apartment complex <snip>

So, I think the talk of an EV world , without solving these types of scenarios, is simply incomplete thinking.

The solution is to install a EVSE where you park overnight. That's the only solution.

No Supercharger/Ultracharger/Battery swap/Amazon delivery will help. You need to be able to charge overnight.

Think about it like a cellphone. AT&T does not offer you an option to go and charge in their stores. You can't go and swap your battery in their stores. Does that mean they have incomplete thinking regarding powering a cellphone because people sometimes stay in tents?

At some point a critical mass of people will start making a decision about where they live based on what charging is available. And when that happens, there won't be a apartment building in the U.S. left standing that won't offer EV charging within a year after. It's a very cheap amenity to provide for a very big competitive advantage.

The solution is to install a EVSE where you park overnight. That's the only solution.

No Supercharger/Ultracharger/Battery swap/Amazon delivery will help. You need to be able to charge overnight.
Correct. Overnight charging where you live is all you should need except for trips and perhaps a very unusual situation. The only exception to this is for folks that have an ultra long commute (100 miles each way or some such--a larger battery is the real solution for this problem though).

Think about it like a cellphone. AT&T does not offer you an option to go and charge in their stores. You can't go and swap your battery in their stores. Does that mean they have incomplete thinking regarding powering a cellphone because people sometimes stay in tents?

At some point a critical mass of people will start making a decision about where they live based on what charging is available. And when that happens, there won't be a apartment building in the U.S. left standing that won't offer EV charging within a year after. It's a very cheap amenity to provide for a very big competitive advantage.

Yeah, I agree " ...at some point...."

I'll work something out. I have to.

However, IMO, Tesla and Musk have significant work to do to usher in an age of true EV's. I am quite confident they will , and also make great progress on battery chemistry, battery optimization and battery charging.

I expect they will also roll out some major partners for charging across the country and I expect this part of the utility will evolve over time.

As for me, I have decided that, given where I live and the geography / distances , state of the current supercharger network and plans for expansion, I will still need to keep my ICE MB's as a back up, maybe for at least 3 years, after late 2017/early 2018 ( after I take delivery of my Model 3's ) , as an emergency back up.

Right or wrong, I call it as I see it, and as an investor, and experienced global businessperson, I'm not into Kumbaya.

What you guys in CA and say WA and a few other states have now, with Tesla, is not the paradigm we have in many other states....at least not yet.

To get Model 3 to say 500,000 a year in sales, I believe lots of work remains to be done, with the charging end of things, for a true nationwide footprint that meets the needs of both single family dwellers and non- single family dwellers.

MB, BMW and Audi and others will still be selling lots and lots of ICE cars in the NY metro area....an area I know quite well, being a NYer.

I just read , Every single post under the thread : Condo Charging!

Its complicated!

HOA or apt complex will likely want a written agreement of waiver of all liability, installation at your cost and a sub meter for billing ( not to mention the administrative hassle of setting up a separate bill for EV charging outlets ).

It can be quite expensive!

That thread has me concerned.....maybe I will have to move to a new place that has already figured out the issues and dealt with the sub metering, billing etc. Dunno if I can find such a place near my location! This sucks ! That thread is really eye opening and worth a detailed read of every single post.

It appears as if you are focusing on reasons not to get one, as opposed to looking for solutions to getting what you want. I held off on purchasing a Tesla because of the lack of charging in Texas as well. However, the reality is that you should be able to charge overnight, and if you can do that there is no reason not to get a Tesla if you truly want one and have the means to purchase one. I live in West Texas and have far fewer charging options than you do in the Austin area. I drive a lot for work and I live in two houses that I go back and forth between that are 105 miles apart (one during the week, the other every weekend). I traded my 2015 Audi Q5 TDI that I put 35K miles on in 10 months of ownership towards my Tesla Model S. The majority of my driving is under 200 miles a day and the Model S is is fine for that. My wife wanted me to keep my SL55 AMG as a backup, but I'm not doing that. I'm selling it and will just keep the Tesla. I had originally planned on buying a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry to keep as a ICE backup. I've decided I'm not going to do that either. Now, until the Supercharger network is expanded on I10 and I20 I will have to take extra steps for travel to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc.,. But I decided that I'll just rent a car when I have business in those towns before the Supercharger network is up and going on Texas interstates.

Coming from West Texas, we view Austin as "Kumbaya" land. :tongue:

Don't despair for getting a charger installed at your place until you actually try it. It might be easy! Or it might be terribly difficult. But it all depends on the people involved, and nothing says it has to be bad. If you haven't already, you might reach out to your building management and ask what they think of the idea.

It appears as if you are focusing on reasons not to get one, as opposed to looking for solutions to getting what you want. I held off on purchasing a Tesla because of the lack of charging in Texas as well. However, the reality is that you should be able to charge overnight, and if you can do that there is no reason not to get a Tesla if you truly want one and have the means to purchase one. I live in West Texas and have far fewer charging options than you do in the Austin area. I drive a lot for work and I live in two houses that I go back and forth between that are 105 miles apart (one during the week, the other every weekend). I traded my 2015 Audi Q5 TDI that I put 35K miles on in 10 months of ownership towards my Tesla Model S. The majority of my driving is under 200 miles a day and the Model S is is fine for that. My wife wanted me to keep my SL55 AMG as a backup, but I'm not doing that. I'm selling it and will just keep the Tesla. I had originally planned on buying a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry to keep as a ICE backup. I've decided I'm not going to do that either. Now, until the Supercharger network is expanded on I10 and I20 I will have to take extra steps for travel to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc.,. But I decided that I'll just rent a car when I have business in those towns before the Supercharger network is up and going on Texas interstates.

Totally not true ! I will be buying 2 Model 3 's. Perhaps you don't understand me ? I'm not interested in renting cars. I don't have a problem keeping a Model 3 and my ICE MB, for emergencies. But, I'd rather not pay insurance for both all year, when I am away traveling ( mostly in NY, Maui and ex USA ), 50 pc of the year. I get pissed off when things are not convenient ...that's all. My ICE will serve its purpose when I get frustrated in emergencies.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't despair for getting a charger installed at your place until you actually try it. It might be easy! Or it might be terribly difficult. But it all depends on the people involved, and nothing says it has to be bad. If you haven't already, you might reach out to your building management and ask what they think of the idea.

I will and I always planned to. But maybe around summer of '17. I doubt those folks have even heard of Tesla. But by summer of '17 they will have. I'm only in Austin 50 pc of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, frankly I really don't give a hoot what the folks in West Texas think of Austin. I am originally from NY. Lived in the DFW area for 15 years ( multiple stints ), was marred to a Texan from oil country, and so I know what Texans think of Austin, CA or NY.

Frankly, I only care about high IQ people, in science, tech, arts etc. I love Elon. You West Texans can have Rick Perry and Dubya! And the millions like him. And, " Kumbaya" is the best fit for folks in God's country who don't care for and/ or understand science, math etc. and frankly don't trust it. I just wish we can yank all products that use tech, science, quantum mechanics etc away from all such people ! And, BTW, I'd love to yank ( pun intended ) your Tesla from you ! It should be illegal for West Texans to own Tesla's or any products not made in Texas !

Now go drink your beer, whiskey or whatever ....I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil right now, and I'm going to O'Malleys for drinks, a live Rock Band and some beautiful Brazilian babes !

Last edited:
Totally not true ! I will be buying 2 Model 3 's. Perhaps you don't understand me ? I'm not interested in renting cars. I don't have a problem keeping a Model 3 and my ICE MB, for emergencies. But, I'd rather not pay insurance for both all year, when I am away traveling ( mostly in NY, Maui and ex USA ), 50 pc of the year. I get pissed off when things are not convenient ...that's all. My ICE will serve its purpose when I get frustrated in emergencies.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, frankly I really don't give a hoot what the folks in West Texas think of Austin. I am originally from NY. Lived in the DFW area for 15 years ( multiple stints ), was marred to a Texan from oil country, and so I know what Texans think of Austin, CA or NY. 

Frankly, I only care about high IQ people, in science, tech, arts etc. I love Elon. You West Texans can have Rick Perry and Dubya! And the millions like him. And, " Kumbaya" is the best fit for folks in God's country who don't care for and/ or understand science, math etc. and frankly don't trust it. I just wish we can yank all products that use tech, science, quantum mechanics etc away from all such people ! And, BTW, I'd love to yank ( pun intended ) your Tesla from you ! It should be illegal for West Texans to own Tesla's or any products not made in Texas ! 

Now go drink your beer, whiskey or whatever ....I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil right now, and I'm going to O'Malleys for drinks, a live Rock Band and some beautiful Brazilian babes ! 

LOL Stereotype much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll pass on the drinks and instead go take a drive in my Tesla!

Doubt Texas has such things but we here have paid Chademo all over town (and free also). Makes a perfect "emergency medical trip for relative" use. Mind you, so do rental cars.

The emergency medical concept is often talked about with EVs. I get it. We have a beach house 130 miles from home and leave our child with sitters etc. No supercharger on the way. I always charge up right when we arrive in this scenario. There are zero Chademos nearby. But thankfully, there is a perfect SC spot (outlet mall at intersection of 2 interstates) at the midway point. It is planned but no rush yet since the trip is doable except for emergency return.

Anyway at home - in any reasonably sized city - there are 24 hour car rental agencies usually at an airport. Given that emergencies on top of empty batteries are pretty rare, it is a reasonable option and much more convenient that keeping a ICE car just for emergencies. We also have things called friends that would let us drive their car in an emergency.

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic but do remember that we've all thought of these things are they are far from insurmountable.