Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could I drive my S forever w/ pack upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In thoery, yes.

But the suspension is going to wear out. The seats will wear thin. The dash will crack. The paint will fade. More body squeaks. None of this is fatal, but the cost will add up if you don't want to drive a junker.

But the suspension is going to wear out. The seats will wear thin. The dash will crack. The paint will fade. More body squeaks. None of this is fatal, but the cost will add up if you don't want to drive a junker.

When it gets to this point, just sell - in 15-20 years time there will be teenagers getting their license and their first car will be a $5000 "old clunker" Model S which will be their pride and joy!

I see upgrading the Tesla battery like adding more storage to a desktop (which I've often done). Sometimes it is more cost effective to buy a new computer for increased processor speed, chips, updated USB ports, plus a new warranty on everything.

Great analogy. Sometimes all you want (or can afford) is a new harddrive.

In thoery, yes.

True. I wonder what kind of problems a high mileage 10 year old Model S will have?

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
I wonder what kind of problems a high mileage 10 year old Model S will have?

Computers that still run might be one of them.

The computer systems in most of the previous automobiles I've owned were designed for longevity, not processing power. With hundreds of these small computing systems within a car, if one broke, you'd go to a service location (dealer or junk yard, your pick) and get a used, after market or other similar replacement.

A few of the Tesla central computers are significant in their scope, yet I've seen nothing to suggest they weren't (or were) designed for 15+ years.

Does anyone here have a working 15 year old PC lying around? How about an android tablet from 7 years ago? Anyone have a working thumb drive from 10 years ago? Answering any of those questions would inform you on the challenge Tesla owners will have in many years time.

I expect the electric motor to outlast us all tho...