Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could I have caused some damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I know I may be overthinking and just becoming paranoid about this, but I felt my first bottoming out with my new MS. I was coming out of a strip mall exit (Tim hortons) down onto the street and was going at a slow speed when I heard a loud thud which I felt underneath my seat. I don’t know if I hit the bottom of the car (set at normal) or it was the suspension and the wheel just banged into the inside of the wheel well. I didn’t exactly see what it was, but might have been a pothole in the driveway.

I tried looking underneath the car after raising the suspension to very high. I did not see anything out of the ordinary. I looked into the wheel wells and did not see anything different. I did notice the following: the plastic on the underside of the front bumper was broken on both left and right wheel wells. (See pics). Is this normal? Or was this caused by some damage?

I did notice a soft scraping/rasping sound while driving and also noticed that the tire pressures which were all at 48psi before are now a bit unbalanced (left two tires are 48 psi, while right front is 47psi and right rear is 49psi).

I will be going to the SC on Tuesday for a checkup about some windnoise and rubber sealing on the driver side.

Do you guys think I should try to take it in asap tomorrow and get it checked out? Is bottoming out on a pothole (the bottom of the car or the air suspension) going to cause a lot of damage?

Thanks

V

Attachments

• E1A5B3AF-84AD-45D3-840F-A00123363309.jpeg
    E1A5B3AF-84AD-45D3-840F-A00123363309.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 26258C05-3572-448E-9620-BC346087EF72.jpeg
    26258C05-3572-448E-9620-BC346087EF72.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 133
I won’t worry too much about slight PSI imbalance as driving and heating can cause that, but if it keeps getting worse then do check the tires.

I am no expert in the other aspect, though I think if it drives fine and there are no obvious damage or error message, the I won’t stress too much about it and just get it checked out next week when you are going to the SC. The underside of Model S is probably tougher than most ICE sedans, witht reinforcement tonprotect this battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brass Guy
I won’t worry too much about slight PSI imbalance as driving and heating can cause that, but if it keeps getting worse then do check the tires.

I am no expert in the other aspect, though I think if it drives fine and there are no obvious damage or error message, the I won’t stress too much about it and just get it checked out next week when you are going to the SC. The underside of Model S is probably tougher than most ICE sedans, witht reinforcement tonprotect this battery.

Thanks. I guess it was bound to happen at some or the other time. I guess I just have to be more careful and try to remember to always raise my suspension in some of those downtown strip mall driveways.