TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Could I Upgrade a ModelS to AutoPilot built after October 2014 (p50000 and above)?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by OliverMaroney, Jun 18, 2016.

1. OliverMaroney

OliverMaroney New Member

I've seen a number of people who've told me as long as the model s is built past October 2014, it has the hardware available to upgrade to AutoPilot for 2.5k, is this true?

I'm looking at a CPO that is past p50000 and wanted to know if I could upgrade it.

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

If you are looking at a CPO that already has the AP hardware then tesla would have turned on AP software and priced it accordingly. So the price they advertise most likely has AP factored in and you don't have to pay extra.

Mine was Oct 2014 built with VIN 57k and had AP enabled.

3. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

If it has autopilot hardware then Tesla would list it. VIN alone around 50000 is not a strong enough indication it has it - they don't produce in VIN order.

4. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

If you have access to the car, look for the camera on the windshield. The opening is trapezoidal. Also, the car will have like a dozen ultrasonic sensors between the front and back, and a radar below the nosecone. Once you know what to look for it's pretty easy to tell which cars have AP hardware.

5. larmor

larmor Member

Can someone post pictures (front window camera, etc) so others who have not seen it before will know? thx in advance.

6. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

See there, second image

Hands-On Experience With Tesla Autopilot

But if you are buying from Tesla, if the autopilot hardware is there then it is listed in the package - its free for Tesla to activate so they turn it on to resell at higher value.

7. cab

cab Member

It is often hard to spot on most used car ads...I find myself staring at low resolution pictures loking for those extra parking sensors...hard to see.

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

If they give you a full front shot, you can usually see the radar in the lower valance or the absence thereof.