Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could last night's Update have affected my regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone: I know there was supposed to be a power increase with the Nov 12 update. But first thing this morning when I started backing out of my garage, I noticed the car was super restricted - As in, it doesn't roll anymore. Is it possible it got reset to "HOLD" and maybe I was always on "ROLL?" Thanks for your responses. -David

Yes. When I received 2019.36.2.1 I was surprised to read about the new “Hold” feature. I was even more surprised when I tried to “Roll” out of my garage only to find it wouldn’t roll — the update set Hold as the default. So I’m still playing with Hold, trying to get used to its characteristics. For the most part I like it but it certainly takes some getting used to.

Hi Everyone: I know there was supposed to be a power increase with the Nov 12 update. But first thing this morning when I started backing out of my garage, I noticed the car was super restricted - As in, it doesn't roll anymore. Is it possible it got reset to "HOLD" and maybe I was always on "ROLL?" Thanks for your responses. -David

The new update introduced "Hold", and set it as the default. It's a much different feeling than "Roll", which was the default if "Creep" was turned off.

Reactions: Need
The new update introduced "Hold", and set it as the default. It's a much different feeling than "Roll", which was the default if "Creep" was turned off.

I was surprised that it would set the new mode as default. I guess they really want people to use it. I think it's not that much of a change to the people who had "Creep" off before, but the Creepy folks like myself, it was a big change. I will leave it as it to test it out. I didn't like the standard mode before because it would "roll" after it came to a stop and harder to parallel park.

One pedal driving is fun and all, but from time to time I will need to drive an ice car... I don't want to get used to it.

Not having my Tesla yet, Model Y, does this new setting make the car come to a full stop without using the brake? If so will it stay stationary on a slope? I hope so as this would complete one pedal driving.

Yes, it does. Last couple days I haven’t touched the brake once. Requires getting timing right, letting off acceleration at proper point. Still not convince I’m going to stay with it, but fun for now.

Not having my Tesla yet, Model Y, does this new setting make the car come to a full stop without using the brake? If so will it stay stationary on a slope? I hope so as this would complete one pedal driving.

Correct. The car comes to a complete stop using the motors, then engages the friction brakes to hold it in place (the vehicle hold mode with the brakes that we've had for a while if you press and release the brake pedal is engage automatically once the car stops.)

It feels weird at first, but it becomes natural. You definitely end up with more control - the car won't go anywhere you don't tell it to, now - at least for moderate slopes. It handles my fairly steep driveway naturally, I haven't had a chance to try it on really serious hills yet.

Per the original title, I feel like it really messed up my regeneration. I get much less regeneration now than 3 days ago. I find I am having to use my brakes a *lot* more than normal. Not pleased.

The actual hold function where you come to a complete stop and engages the 'hold' is fine.

I'm finding the opposite. My regen is taking over the entire car and I feel like someone else is driving the car lol.
I don't know if I'm going to stick with this option. It's like having a car for a test run and I know I can go back to what I had. Love it!

Per the original title, I feel like it really messed up my regeneration. I get much less regeneration now than 3 days ago. I find I am having to use my brakes a *lot* more than normal. Not pleased.

The actual hold function where you come to a complete stop and engages the 'hold' is fine.

That seems to be more likely to be related to the arctic front sweeping across the US this week, bringing late winter temperatures to fall days.

Having a cold pack is really annoying, mostly because the regen goes away.

That seems to be more likely to be related to the arctic front sweeping across the US this week, bringing late winter temperatures to fall days.

Having a cold pack is really annoying, mostly because the regen goes away.
Yeah my car sat outside at work all day yesterday and basically had no higher speed regen. At lower speeds it would regen to a stop (using hold mode). I was actually surprised how quickly the battery became cold soaked, or at least cold enough to remove higher speed regen. Oddly it didn't display a snowflake on the battery, nor show reduced range. Yet sure enough when I parked in my garage I gained back 1 kWh as the battery warmed up more.

After testing it for a day, I decided to change it back to Creep. It is fun but too much effort to keep the car going. I like it before where you could ease up on the accelerator pedal when it is going downhill. The regen is good for slow driving at local street stop signs. It is easy to stop without using the brake. But at bigger streets when you are going 40 mpg, you really can't stop the car without braking unless you start to slow down way before the stop sign or traffic light...

The regen decision tree really has changed. I am seeing MUCH less regen as well in exactly the same conditions as before (battery temperature, outside temperature, charge level, etc...).

There really is an issue with regen in this update, no doubt about it. At least for a Model 3 RWD SR+.

My regen bar will show a couple dots, like 20% of the bar because of temperature, but then the green regen only ever uses 15% of the remaining usable regen bar.