Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could new Yoke Wheel be retrofit to back models? And would you want to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to? Also, if so, do you think you would be interested? I've noticed I keep my hand on the top of my wheel a very large percentage of the time I drive, but I also like the visibility of the driver display with the new yoke design. I suppose I would get used to it.

It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to? Also, if so, do you think you would be interested? I've noticed I keep my hand on the top of my wheel a very large percentage of the time I drive, but I also like the visibility of the driver display with the new yoke design. I suppose I would get used to it.

I've never used yoke steering wheel before but I notice when I make some turns, I would touch both the upper and lower half of the full rounded shape of the wheel as those portions would slide under my hands because it takes more than 2 full turns, more than 360 degrees. I think I could adapt to the yoke wheel but I think I'll miss the upper half circle of the wheel.

So, no retrofit for me.

Reactions: P85_DA
It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to?

A big reason they wouldn't be able to retrofit to existing models might be regulations (crash test ratings may be invalid with such a change). There was a period back in 2016 when Tesla briefly retrofitted P85DL cars with the new-at-the-time 90 kwh battery packs and turned them into P90DL. If I recall, because of crash tests and associated regulations, they had to make changes to the passenger seats as well.

This retrofit possibility also assumes that the regulators are ok with steering yoke. Let's see if Tesla crosses this hurdle for new MS and MX; not holding my breath until the Steering Yoke actually makes it into people's hands first in the new cars first.

Reactions: mswlogo
They would probably need to change the steering column in addition to the wheel. I'm sure it's possible but unlikely as an officially offered upgrade.

That being said, I wonder how they plan to implement enabling of autopilot with the refreshed S/X. With no stalks, I would think it would have to either be a software function (MCU) or one of the buttons on the new steering wheel.

Anyone who remembers Tesla’s unwillingness to retrofit the back up sensors when they first came out would say there’s no way they’ll offer it. They finally got comfortable with chip upgrades, but actual hardware isn’t something they’ve shown much interest in. Plus, the service centers are overwhelmed as it is.

Also, we have no reason to actually believe they’ll offer the yoke for real in the S or X, regardless of the most recent mule that was shown. I still think they’ll end up trashing it, as much as I actually want the yoke!

I know this is an older thread, but I was talking to the manager of my SC several weeks ago, and they said Tesla is working in a retrofit for the yoke for the Model 3/Y, from what he told me, it would be the exact same. I’d imagine they’d replace the entire steering column clock spring, which would support the new yolk and all its buttons integrated into it. Should be a relatively simple retrofit once it’s available. The clock spring is stupid simple to replace (ask me how I know… 😂)

I know this is an older thread, but I was talking to the manager of my SC several weeks ago, and they said Tesla is working in a retrofit for the yoke for the Model 3/Y, from what he told me, it would be the exact same. I’d imagine they’d replace the entire steering column clock spring, which would support the new yolk and all its buttons integrated into it. Should be a relatively simple retrofit once it’s available. The clock spring is stupid simple to replace (ask me how I know… 😂)
Why? The yoke has not proven to be popular with S buyers. They tolerate it, not want it. I have a replacement X on order and the yoke is the one thing I am hoping they drop from this update.

Reactions: P85_DA
Why? The yoke has not proven to be popular with S buyers. They tolerate it, not want it. I have a replacement X on order and the yoke is the one thing I am hoping they drop from this update.
Not me. I can't wait until the yoke becomes available. It is the main reason I want to upgrade. I am really tired of having to get the steering wheel just right to see most of the IC display. I suspect that will be worse on the 2022s, because the IC appears to be much wider. Therefore the yoke is the only thing that will reasonably work.

Not me. I can't wait until the yoke becomes available. It is the main reason I want to upgrade. I am really tired of having to get the steering wheel just right to see most of the IC display. I suspect that will be worse on the 2022s, because the IC appears to be much wider. Therefore the yoke is the only thing that will reasonably work.
There are better ways to make the information more readable. A HUD would be nice and keep your eyes looking outside the car. I had a HUD on my BMW X3 and it was great. Coming to the X I was disappointed to see it did not have a HUD option.

I might not be upgrading without that butterfly wheel.

There are better ways to make the information more readable. A HUD would be nice and keep your eyes looking outside the car. I had a HUD on my BMW X3 and it was great. Coming to the X I was disappointed to see it did not have a HUD option.
I’ve rented vehicles with HUD. I found the display extremely distracting, as in I was always looking at it directly, and not paying attention to action outside the vehicle. After a few days, I disabled it. I hope Tesla continues to dismiss it. Getting the steering wheel out of the way is vastly superior, IMO.

I’ve rented vehicles with HUD. I found the display extremely distracting, as in I was always looking at it directly, and not paying attention to action outside the vehicle. After a few days, I disabled it. I hope Tesla continues to dismiss it. Getting the steering wheel out of the way is vastly superior, IMO.
It does take some getting used to. At first, it is a bit mesmerizing. But after a week or so it becomes second nature.

The yoke does not seem to be this way. In the S forums, owners have complained about finding turn signal buttons and difficulty in low-speed maneuvering.