Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could new Yoke Wheel be retrofit to back models? And would you want to?

MEAllard

Feb 3, 2020
New Hampshire
It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to? Also, if so, do you think you would be interested? I've noticed I keep my hand on the top of my wheel a very large percentage of the time I drive, but I also like the visibility of the driver display with the new yoke design. I suppose I would get used to it.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Highly doubt it. I'm sure software changes for it, stalks move to wheel, probably a different bus etc. There might be differences in the steering system as well to make it all work.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to? Also, if so, do you think you would be interested? I've noticed I keep my hand on the top of my wheel a very large percentage of the time I drive, but I also like the visibility of the driver display with the new yoke design. I suppose I would get used to it.

I've never used yoke steering wheel before but I notice when I make some turns, I would touch both the upper and lower half of the full rounded shape of the wheel as those portions would slide under my hands because it takes more than 2 full turns, more than 360 degrees. I think I could adapt to the yoke wheel but I think I'll miss the upper half circle of the wheel.

So, no retrofit for me.

djillusion

Mar 19, 2020
Chicago
On more comment: I love my heated steering wheel in the X, if the yoke wheels kills the heated function is remains a total no for me regardless of retrofit or future Tesla models I consider.

KingRaptor

Jan 16, 2019
Atlanta, GA, US
It would appear to me they could (for a price) retrofit the new yoke steering & associated software & controls to earlier models. Any reason why they wouldn't be able to?

A big reason they wouldn't be able to retrofit to existing models might be regulations (crash test ratings may be invalid with such a change). There was a period back in 2016 when Tesla briefly retrofitted P85DL cars with the new-at-the-time 90 kwh battery packs and turned them into P90DL. If I recall, because of crash tests and associated regulations, they had to make changes to the passenger seats as well.

This retrofit possibility also assumes that the regulators are ok with steering yoke. Let's see if Tesla crosses this hurdle for new MS and MX; not holding my breath until the Steering Yoke actually makes it into people's hands first in the new cars first.

Reactions: mswlogo

paul.scott

Apr 17, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I would do the retrofit and hopefully pick up heated steering wheel feature at the same time. Getting rid of the stalks would be awesome too but where would the shift selector buttons be located?

dannycamps

Apr 8, 2019
Northeast USA
They would probably need to change the steering column in addition to the wheel. I'm sure it's possible but unlikely as an officially offered upgrade.

That being said, I wonder how they plan to implement enabling of autopilot with the refreshed S/X. With no stalks, I would think it would have to either be a software function (MCU) or one of the buttons on the new steering wheel.

elguapo

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2013
Maryland
Anyone who remembers Tesla’s unwillingness to retrofit the back up sensors when they first came out would say there’s no way they’ll offer it. They finally got comfortable with chip upgrades, but actual hardware isn’t something they’ve shown much interest in. Plus, the service centers are overwhelmed as it is.

Also, we have no reason to actually believe they’ll offer the yoke for real in the S or X, regardless of the most recent mule that was shown. I still think they’ll end up trashing it, as much as I actually want the yoke!

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Tesla just needs to put a HUD and project speed, nav, and other information ahead of the driver. The HUD is the one thing on miss from my BMW X. It is hard to believe Tesla does not have one. They keep your eyes looking outside where they should be.

Reactions: elguapo

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC