Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could not connect to home Wifi (Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not been able to connect to an active portal from Ubiquiti which has strong signal from Model X in the garage. I have used it for my laptops, phones and security cameras. The the password is 8-character long with with special character; for example l!keth!5. The error message was "could not connect ..." Have you experienced a similar issue? Any workaround?

Thanks.

Have a 2 week old Model X and have the same problem on a Ubiqiuti AC Pro - even when the AP is 15' from the car, it is having issues connecting re-prompting me for the SSID password (which is correct as all other devices work just fine).

Seems like Tesla may have a limited or quirky protocol stack in their linux for wifi? Granted the Ubiquiti products tend to do a bit more than your home grade routers (zero handoff one of these days they promise!). At a loss as my AC Pro has the same range as my old Netgear Nighthawk (with Nighthawk claims of extra range, although compared to Ubiquti non-LR not so much it seems).

My March 2015 P85D won't see our Edimax EW-7288APC 11ac Wi-Fi access point that was 20' away either. I just assumed our Tesla could only connect to "legacy" 11b/g/n Wi-Fi so I use a "vintage" 11b/g/n Apple Airport Express for it to communicate to the internet and its worked adequately.

Should my "state of the art" Tesla connect to 11ac WiFi networks?

I have a netgear 6300 cable modem and router. Has both 2.4 and 5.0 wireless. Tesla sees 2.4 but the router will not accept the password sent from the Tesla. We have lots of wireless devices being serviced by that router, and the password is the same one the Tesla won't accept. Now what could cause that???

I have not been able to connect to an active portal from Ubiquiti which has strong signal from Model X in the garage. I have used it for my laptops, phones and security cameras. The the password is 8-character long with with special character; for example l!keth!5. The error message was "could not connect ..." Have you experienced a similar issue? Any workaround?

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity , do you have 3G or LTE ? The wifi networking hardware or firmware may have been updated with the phone upgrade.

In any event I use Uniquiti AC Pro in my home also, with no issues. I did have a new Lenovo laptop that had issues, and that was resolved by updating the Ubiquiti firmware to the latest version.

Have you already tried updating Ubiquiti?

As for Ubqiuti AC Pro (new model) - running latest firmware, have maybe 16 devices connected on 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies without issue (Sonos, phones, tablets, PC's, laptops, thermostats, etc.). But no joy from Model X - always prompts for password as though it is incorrect as others commented above. My config has the default where the same SSID is used for both frequencies & headers are used to steer devices to the various frequencies if they support it (have not turned on band steering or any other features - stock config across the board for now).

As a side note, I have a Netgear N900 and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as well - might try those & report back for the record (even if not what I want to have to keep permanently).

I have tried all sorts of ways to get my Model X to connect to my wifi. It only works if the signal is real strong. And sometimes when it connects it does not really do anything. I just use the LTE at this point.

Will be following this thread to see if you all come up with a decent solution for the garage. All the repeaters and range extenders I have tried have failed to deliver.

ONE TEST

Although I had to hang the access point out the window putting it 45' direct clear air line of sight (and Model X still only showed 2 of 4 bars strength!?) ..... Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) seems to work just fine (same SSID & password as Ubiquiti gear that does not). Latest firmware, downside is latest firmware tends to hang every so often dropping connectivity requiring a power cycle to correct (one of a few reasons for moving to Ubiquiti gear).

So, home gateway Netgear R7000 checks out - as long as it's close (unlikely) and you can pick one of their earlier firmware releases that is more stable.

Seems Model X also has a lousy WiFi antenna? An inconvenience I wouldn't have expected given the Linux roots of their on board systems.

I am using an older Unifi Pro. I connect my S to the guest network SSID/VLAN. My is a 802.11g device, I think in older Unifi management you can turn off g support and that make it unable to connect.

I have a ubiquiti AP AC in the garage. Both the S and the X connect just fine on 2.4 using WPA2. I don't believe tesla supports auth via a guest portal.

The wifi reception on both cars is poor. This is why I installed an AP in the garage.

Just out of curiosity , do you have 3G or LTE ? The wifi networking hardware or firmware may have been updated with the phone upgrade.

In any event I use Uniquiti AC Pro in my home also, with no issues. I did have a new Lenovo laptop that had issues, and that was resolved by updating the Ubiquiti firmware to the latest version.

Have you already tried updating Ubiquiti?

I have not tried updating the firmware since I put it in service a couple of years ago. I'll definitely looking into update the firmware. Accessing the device requires some digging. Thanks.

Model S only supports 802.11g 2.4Ghz. If you are using 802.11n 2.4Ghz you will see the network and you can try to connect, it just won't work. I was excited that with the LTE upgrade to my Model S that MAYBE Tesla upgraded the WiFi as well. No such luck. Kinda sucks since out of 25 or so WiFI connected devices in my house, only My Model S and Nintendo Game Boy require 802.11g. I'm guessing my soon to come Model X will be the same. Not a big deal, just a check box on a router config.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Fanatic1
Model S only supports 802.11g 2.4Ghz. If you are using 802.11n 2.4Ghz you will see the network and you can try to connect, it just won't work. I was excited that with the LTE upgrade to my Model S that MAYBE Tesla upgraded the WiFi as well. No such luck. Kinda sucks since out of 25 or so WiFI connected devices in my house, only My Model S and Nintendo Game Boy require 802.11g. I'm guessing my soon to come Model X will be the same. Not a big deal, just a check box on a router config.

Great info. This is one reason I decided NOT to upgrade my 2015 P85D to 4G LTE since I'm guessing Tesla will upgrade the WiFi to 5.0Ghz 802.11ac since EVERY other one of the other 10+ WiFi devices in our house are ALL on 5.0Ghz 802.11ac. The ONLY "legacy" WiFi device on "legacy" 802.11g 2.4Ghz in one older Apple Airport Express used to connect to our "newest" WiFi device... Our Tesla. CRAZY since our Tesla is the newest AND most sophisticated electronic device BY FAR but uses the oldest 802.11g 2.4Ghz WiFi. Oxymoronic.

My first post was off the top of my head from my personal experimentation. After further research, TeslaTap and TMC has info that Model S uses the Parrot FC6050W chip which supports 802.11b/g/i/j. Looks like only b/g are enabled. Finally found the info sheet. Tesla has to upgrade to the Parrot FC6000+ to give us 802.11ac. Guess I'm not turning off legacy 802.11b/g yet on my ASUS router. Would be nice to free up the bandwidth. I guess I could put a dedicated 802.11b/g router in the garage just for the Teslas and run the main router without it. Good idea, I'll get right on that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad and Ulmo