Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could onsite service get any worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The word appointment needs to be removed from the verbiage here because its not an appointment at least not in Maitland. Its place holder for anywhere from 2-5 days before they can get to your car and for that all you get is stupid vouchers while they hold your car hostage sitting in a lot. The service for Tesla at the location has been a joke. To be fair the road team has been excellent, on time and very communicative.

They need to remove the word service and replace it with repair when we can get around to it. I have been trying to get the axles replaced on my car for 4 months. The first appointment was delayed waiting on parts so it had to be rescheduled. These things happen NBD. When it was coming up on time for the appointment I received a text that it would be 2-3 days before they may get to my car but that they would give me credits or whatever for a car service.

I explained that I could not run my business with car vouchers and that it would be a difficult to schedule appointments based on waiting for uber drivers to come get me but I would be happy to rent a car at my own expense but was not willing to pay for 2-3 extra days before they may even get to start working on my car. Especially considering the appointment was a wed or Thursday and given the timing I would be paying over the weekend or the hassle of turning the car in and picking it back up.Thats absurd what's the point of waiting weeks to get an appointment to find out its actually nothing more than a place holder. They could not accommodate so I cancelled and rescheduled for anywhere from 4-6 weeks which would no be next week.

I believe it was the first appointment available on a Monday and received a message yesterday that they may not get to work on my car for 3-5 days as they are so backed up. I made the appointment for a Monday and planned on renting a car to get me thru several days but again, why would I want to pay for a rental while my car sits in the lot waiting. Remind me what the point is of an appointment? Gotta be a better way. If this company can figure out how to get to space and back or another planet surely they can figure out how to fix the product they sell without unreasonable added stress and costs. I have never made an appointment at any dealer and waited more than several hours for the diagnosis and a timeline for the repair. Thats why its called an appointment.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a used 2017 X from tesla.com. Did you have any other issues with yours? I'm not sure what other issues to expected, and if the "service" is going to be this lame, I'm not sure I want the car.

The word appointment needs to be removed from the verbiage here because its not an appointment at least not in Maitland. Its place holder for anywhere from 2-5 days before they can get to your car and for that all you get is stupid vouchers while they hold your car hostage sitting in a lot. The service for Tesla at the location has been a joke. To be fair the road team has been excellent, on time and very communicative.

They need to remove the word service and replace it with repair when we can get around to it. I have been trying to get the axles replaced on my car for 4 months. The first appointment was delayed waiting on parts so it had to be rescheduled. These things happen NBD. When it was coming up on time for the appointment I received a text that it would be 2-3 days before they may get to my car but that they would give me credits or whatever for a car service.

I explained that I could not run my business with car vouchers and that it would be a difficult to schedule appointments based on waiting for uber drivers to come get me but I would be happy to rent a car at my own expense but was not willing to pay for 2-3 extra days before they may even get to start working on my car. Especially considering the appointment was a wed or Thursday and given the timing I would be paying over the weekend or the hassle of turning the car in and picking it back up.Thats absurd what's the point of waiting weeks to get an appointment to find out its actually nothing more than a place holder. They could not accommodate so I cancelled and rescheduled for anywhere from 4-6 weeks which would no be next week.

I believe it was the first appointment available on a Monday and received a message yesterday that they may not get to work on my car for 3-5 days as they are so backed up. I made the appointment for a Monday and planned on renting a car to get me thru several days but again, why would I want to pay for a rental while my car sits in the lot waiting. Remind me what the point is of an appointment? Gotta be a better way. If this company can figure out how to get to space and back or another planet surely they can figure out how to fix the product they sell without unreasonable added stress and costs. I have never made an appointment at any dealer and waited more than several hours for the diagnosis and a timeline for the repair. Thats why its called an appointment.

Sadly the practice of Tesla Service letting cars sit days before being serviced is common across the whole company. This is largely due to the SCs being understaffed or not enough SCs. I have found that Mondays are the worst time to drop cars off for service since they are catching up from the previous week. Your best bet is a Tuesday or Wednesday. They try to get cars pushed out by Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
If this company can figure out how to get to space and back or another planet
surely they can figure out how to fix the product they sell without unreasonable added stress and costs.
SpaceX objective is to get a rocket to be ready for a new flight in less than a week,
but taking weeks or months to fix a mechanical problem on a car is... pure fiction.

May be Tesla should allow using a certified mechanic similar using a certified body shop to help with the work load.

Tesla should also consider separating their business a little bit like Audi and VW or Lexus and Toyota,
to provide customer service more appropriate with customers expectation.

Last edited:
Reactions: W&B2017X
I'm about to pull the trigger on a used 2017 X from tesla.com. Did you have any other issues with yours? I'm not sure what other issues to expected, and if the "service" is going to be this lame, I'm not sure I want the car.

Everybody likes to go online to vent about their problems and talk about poor experiences. Not as many will go online to talk about good experiences. I'm sure the OP has reason to complain, not taking away from that.

Ever heard anyone bitch about poor service at any other auto company? I sure have. If you base your buying choices on lack of complaints, you'll end up riding a bicycle.

You live in Tampa. I've never had anything but excellent service from the Tampa SC. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: K3Man and KerryOH
I am with you OP. Service has fallen off a cliff. Especially for some of us who remember excellent service of earlier years. I picked up my car from “service” last week and found this little gift from the technician on my back seat.

Attachments

• 75069830-9AA8-4ED7-BABD-D6D2666DB5FF.jpeg
    75069830-9AA8-4ED7-BABD-D6D2666DB5FF.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 98
Overall, I’ve had good service experience.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they cannot schedule this stuff better. Is there that much randomness in the repair process? Is it the number of unplanned drop in appointments? Parts inventory?

I bought a 2017 X 100D in May. I've had a few minor issues and now maybe a semi-serious one. Thankfully, everything is covered by warranty. This past week, my X has developed a power steering issue. They kept my car and gave me a loaner while they diagnose. If you buy a 2017, make sure you buy from Tesla, where you'll get at least a 2 year warranty.

Thanks for the reply, I have been out of town. I really had a bad experience buying my car used. I don't think I will ever purchase a used car again from Tesla. The road team that's services the cars has been great. I have nothing but good things to say as they have been fantastic. Getting the car into the dealer has been whole new can of worms.

I don't want to discourage you from buying the car but I will be honest with you. Your experience may be different where you live. I love my car and it has been great. I can tell you that I was told all service bulletins would be taken car of before delivery as I had asked about that and wanted to see the service records. Nope can't see them. The current issue I am trying to get fixed was a service bulletin for a know issue. Apparently not done. When you buy a used car you are buying a car from a person that has never actually seen the car. I would recommend that you look at the option currently list for the car and check to make sure that list is the same before delivery. This would go on for pages. I posted about a lot of this stuff because I found the whole process to be absurd. This continued all the way thru the rushed delivery and don't expect any kind of "make you feel good" type service you would get from a luxury brand delivery just because you are spending a bunch of money. Tesla attitude seems more to be that they are doing you a favor by selling you the car and you have to tolerate anything and all they throw at you.

Everybody likes to go online to vent about their problems and talk about poor experiences. Not as many will go online to talk about good experiences. I'm sure the OP has reason to complain, not taking away from that.

Ever heard anyone bitch about poor service at any other auto company? I sure have. If you base your buying choices on lack of complaints, you'll end up riding a bicycle.

You live in Tampa. I've never had anything but excellent service from the Tampa SC. Your mileage may vary.

I did give credit where it was due.

I am with you OP. Service has fallen off a cliff. Especially for some of us who remember excellent service of earlier years. I picked up my car from “service” last week and found this little gift from the technician on my back seat.

Unfortunately, my only experience with the onsite service has been less than acceptable. As stated, I have not had that type of experience with the road team and I made that very clear. That pic you posted? Unacceptable. My ownership experience has been great as long as I have not had to deal with Tesla. I love my car, otherwise I would have replaced it after the terrible experience I had. The car has been great and you would have to be an imbecile to think things would not brake or need service.

The purchase process was awful. Delivery was awful. Onsite service has been awful. I am sure lots of people have had great service. That has not been my experience. If Tesla doesn't want people to be unhappy figure it out. You can get a rocket to go into space and back you figure out how to provide decent service.

I bought a 2017 X 100D in May. I've had a few minor issues and now maybe a semi-serious one. Thankfully, everything is covered by warranty. This past week, my X has developed a power steering issue. They kept my car and gave me a loaner while they diagnose. If you buy a 2017, make sure you buy from Tesla, where you'll get at least a 2 year warranty.
Thanks for the reply. I did buy thru Tesla. I think the location near me has outgrown itself. Cars are double and triple parked. Having my car parked in that lot for a day gives me anxiety let alone 3-5 days. I expect my car to be serviced in and around my appointment time. Just like all of my other cars that I have taken into service of the past 40 years. I have offered to even rent a car as I stated. I just refuse to pay for 3-54 days worth of car rental while my car is sitting in the lot waiting to be seen. It's ridiculous. The other issue is they hide behind the text messages and don't pickup the phone to discuss. It's terrible.

Overall, I’ve had good service experience.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they cannot schedule this stuff better. Is there that much randomness in the repair process? Is it the number of unplanned drop in appointments? Parts inventory?

Thanks for the reply, I just don't know. I have had great Mobile Service and I made that clear. Had it 4 times and was very pleased. This issue with waiting weeks and months for an appointment and then being told it could be days more before the car is even looked at is ridiculous. If they need to keep the car for a week, fine guarantee me a car at no cost to me and you can have the car for a week. Im not taking a cab to meetings for my business for a week or paying while my car sits in a lot waiting to be seen.

Sadly the practice of Tesla Service letting cars sit days before being serviced is common across the whole company. This is largely due to the SCs being understaffed or not enough SCs. I have found that Mondays are the worst time to drop cars off for service since they are catching up from the previous week. Your best bet is a Tuesday or Wednesday. They try to get cars pushed out by Friday.
Thanks for the reply. Gotta be a better way. It's sad because I love the product but don't plan on adding any new ones based on my current experiences.

Sorry I was trying to get back to everyone and realized I didn't answer your questions about the car issues. My car was pretty good and here were the issues.

At delivery: They apparently resprayed the rear bumper and it had a lot of overspray on the black trimix numerous places, Poor tape job.

The center bucket seat seatbelt was twisted. they serviced that during delivery.

No key to remove the tow hitch. Refused to get a key for me. My daughter ordered one while we waited and it arrived a week later cast me 12 or 13 dollars with shipping from the UK.

Within 3 days; Clear cote on the wheels started peeling off. Still waiting for it to be fixed.

Within a month; Gullwing door seals started to disintegrate. Made an appointment mobile service came out and replaced the seals.

Battery failed , mobile service came out and replaced the battery.

Current open issues for the repairs; Replacement of the axles for noise and vibration,

Fix the clear cote on the wheels

Touchscreen works intermittently for the charge screen

Latest download stuck in downloading mode.

Cars will have issue, always will. Thats not the issue for me. Getting these repairs done at the service center reasonably is. It's been a great car. I think Tesla should have done better with the inspection and taken car of the shafts and the seals as they were know issues before delivery. Don't expect to be able to see or drive the car before purchase. It's verboten. You will get to see the car and inspect it during delivery. Good luck, I have had fun driving the car and love the product. Just not the baggage that seems to come with it for me me anyway. Keep in mind plenty of people have had great experiences with the car and I would have to believe that the good experiences are far more abundant than the bad ones otherwise I am sure it would not be doing as well as it is. All I can do is share my experiences so people are informed.

Sorry I was trying to get back to everyone and realized I didn't answer your questions about the car issues. My car was pretty good and here were the issues.

At delivery: They apparently resprayed the rear bumper and it had a lot of overspray on the black trimix numerous places, Poor tape job.

The center bucket seat seatbelt was twisted. they serviced that during delivery.

No key to remove the tow hitch. Refused to get a key for me. My daughter ordered one while we waited and it arrived a week later cast me 12 or 13 dollars with shipping from the UK.

Within 3 days; Clear cote on the wheels started peeling off. Still waiting for it to be fixed.

Within a month; Gullwing door seals started to disintegrate. Made an appointment mobile service came out and replaced the seals.

Battery failed , mobile service came out and replaced the battery.

Current open issues for the repairs; Replacement of the axles for noise and vibration,

Fix the clear cote on the wheels

Touchscreen works intermittently for the charge screen

Latest download stuck in downloading mode.

Cars will have issue, always will. Thats not the issue for me. Getting these repairs done at the service center reasonably is. It's been a great car. I think Tesla should have done better with the inspection and taken car of the shafts and the seals as they were know issues before delivery. Don't expect to be able to see or drive the car before purchase. It's verboten. You will get to see the car and inspect it during delivery. Good luck, I have had fun driving the car and love the product. Just not the baggage that seems to come with it for me me anyway. Keep in mind plenty of people have had great experiences with the car and I would have to believe that the good experiences are far more abundant than the bad ones otherwise I am sure it would not be doing as well as it is. All I can do is share my experiences so people are informed.
Expect your steering shaft to fail next, I guess. My 2017 X (purchased in May 2020) has had the twisted seatbelt issue on all three middle row seats, bad key fob, axle replacement for shudder. Currently in the SC for front brakes at 34,000 miles (yes; you read that right) and the aforementioned power steering failure. Lots of problems in the ~8k miles I've driven, but still a great car. These issues would've been multiplied x 10 if not for the exceptional service provided by the Cincinnati SC and the local rangers. Oh - did I mention my tires are about at the lowest acceptable tread depth? Brakes and tires should've been replaced before this car was shipped from NY.