Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Sentry Mode have saved me from this Tesla-hate crime?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
I learned a lesson today. Teslas are the target of hateful people for a lot of mindless “reasons.” Some of this targeting is due to the politics of climate change. Some of it is due to the stereotype that only liberal greenie snowflakes drive e-cars. I guess some of it is just a love of anything that burns oil and outrage at anything that might herald the end of burning dead dinosaurs to run to the corner market to buy some beer.

When I took delivery of my second loaded Model S 100D in January 2018. I had my brand new baby fully wrapped in XPel Ultimate and chrome deleted. For those who don’t know, XPel Ultimate is a thick self-healing plastic covering which protects the car from scratches and dings. It also looks great and makes caring for the finish ridiculously easy—no wax, just wash, and let dry. I was buying this Tesla for keeps and wanted to keep it in perfect condition. The XPel wrap set me back $4,500. Gulp! But it was worth it to protect my new e-car from the plague of highway debris which is all over South Florida and the percentage of drivers here who are uncivilized, crazy, and just plain angry. We have a terrible road rage and reckless driving problem in South Florida. If you live here, you know what I’m talking about.

I have babied my new Tesla from hand washing it myself to parking in the back of the lot far from the maddening crowds. Since it was announced, I have been anxiously waiting for the Sentry Mode update which could come any day. Oddly, I felt like this was a race against time. Today this prescient feeling sadly bore bitter fruit.

Sentry Mode would have saved me from what I think was a Tesla-hate crime or at the very least, reduced the damage. The hate crime occurred while I was doing a good deed to help my wife, Dana with a dance rehearsal for one of her classes. No good deed goes unpunished. Dana has been a teacher of the arts at schools of the arts for most of her teaching career. The arts are chronically underfunded, and so I took off time from working on my latest novel to help out. At Dana’s urging, since we had a lot of stuff to carry inside, I parked in a small lot near the entrance to the theater, instead of in my typical out of the way haunts. This was the first and last time I’ll ever park in a higher traffic area.

Was it a Tesla-hate crime or just a random bit of bad luck delivered by some angry inconsiderate dinosaur who parked next to me? The attacker, an overweight guy, hit the right front fender with his door with extreme prejudice. I can see the guy in my mind grumbling and thinking, “Expensive electric car… Grrrr… Take that!” The guy slashed the edge of the fender with so much force he left a foot long gash! It looked like some of the XPel, the paint, and the aluminum body panel had been sheared off. This was no normal door-ding. This was the door-ding from hell. The guy that did this must have been angry about something. Maybe he hated Teslas? Maybe he hated all e-cars? Maybe he hated his life?

IMG_0299.jpeg

I have a 24x7 BlackVue dashcam which caught some of the incident. But the field of view was not wide enough to record the actual impact on the fender. All the camera showed was an overweight man walking to his car and then the cars jostling from some undisclosed impact. The camera did show the attacker leaving the scene of the “crime” but not enough identification to later track him down. The driver side of my car was parked close to a cement curb leaving a wide space on the passenger side with plenty of room to open doors. The attacker had to go out of his way to intensionally slam my car, or was he so angry at something that he was not thinking and threw his door wide open with all his might.

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla might have warned off the guy when he was too close to my car by flashing the headlights and lighting up the inside of the vehicle. Maybe this would have been enough to make this angry fool think twice?

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla would have set off an alarm after the impact. The alert on my iPhone would have given me enough time to run outside and catch the guy. My BlackVue showed the attacker lingering for some time. Maybe he was soaking up the joy from venting his anger on my car? Maybe he was suffering an attack of guilt? Maybe he was just angry about the self-inflicted damage he must have done to his own door? What a mook.

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla would have videoed the attack from better angles. It would have shown the swing of the door and more identifying information. My Tesla might then have been able to bring its attacker to justice. I wonder if Tesla should add a public enemy most wanted list where it uploads videos of unsolved Tesla-hate crimes (just kidding).

As it turns out, I dodged the worst of the bullet. The full XPel Ultimate wrap shielded me from most of the damage (see pics below). After I spent an hour cleaning my Tesla’s wounds, I found there was no gouged aluminum, no dent, and the paint beneath the XPel was largely spared too. What you see in the first pictures is shorn bits of XPel, not body damage. In the dark parking lot, it looked like disaster had struck. The damage to the paint ended up being so minor it can only be spotted when looking from oblique angles.

The sheet of XPel that shielded my fender will have to be replaced and minor paint touch up will also be needed. While that won’t be cheap, it will be a far cry from the cost of repainting and possibly even replacing the fender.

So XPel Ultimate really works. It can help shield you from some Tesla-hate crimes as well as those random acts of fate and road debris too. I suspect since the XPel saved my car from this angry door attack, it could also save my car from key attacks, or worse. In the future, I’ll be wrapping every car I own with XPel. But I really want my Sentry Mode. I really want some psychological deterrents to Tesla-hate crimes. Come on Elon, get those updates rolling out faster. My Model S 100D needs a little more loving protection from the Tesla mother ship.

IMG_0306C.jpeg

IMG_0307C.jpeg

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: hpartsch and ucmndd
Looks to be more careless sloth behavior than Tesla-hate! I once was sitting in my other car after just parking, when 2 older ladies pulled up next to me in a 1985 Olds or such. I literally said no, please no as the passenger proceeded to slam the heavy door right into my car. I got out pointed to the dent, and she just stared at me, then walked away.

Years ago, I was waiting in my car, admittedly a beater, but still my car. A person next to me parked and didn't notice I was sitting inside. They swung their door so hard into my car that my entire car rocked. It was like they must have put their weight into it or kicked it or something. I got out said that since my car was a POS it didn't matter, but the next time a person who sees that happen it is not going to go well. Anyway, my point is that it's probably just Hanlon's razor, not intentional. It's very interesting to see how well the protection worked for you.
PS: I've literally just left on a couple of occasions when I couldn't find a "dingless spot" to park somewhere.

Reactions: SamDean
Years ago, I was waiting in my car, admittedly a beater, but still my car. A person next to me parked and didn't notice I was sitting inside. They swung their door so hard into my car that my entire car rocked. It was like they must have put their weight into it or kicked it or something. I got out said that since my car was a POS it didn't matter, but the next time a person who sees that happen it is not going to go well.

I've had a similar thing happen to me many years ago. In hindsight, I probably should have just gone through the motions of exchanging information, even if I had no intention of making a claim. People like that need to be put under the lamp so that hopefully they never do it again.

Reactions: PhilDavid
That is painful to see, but I think it's not a Tesla hate crime, looks like gold old lazy ass car parking to me.
Like you I park a long way from everyone because I see it all the time, people using the car next to them to rest their open door on, people walking between cars scraping shopping bags on doors, people squeezing through two cars with a shopping trolley.
I've found the P100D gets some respect from the rev heads, they hate them, but they respect them.

The more important points of this post are (a) The Xpel wrap is in fact useful protection and (b) Sentry Mode could have made a difference.

I make the point repeatedly in the post that this might not have been a hate crime. How the two cars were parked and what I saw in the Dashcam video leads me to believe it was better than 50:50 intentional... Whether the guy hated expensive cars or e-cars or it was just misdirected anger, who knows?

How far back in the spot were you parked? For the door of another car to hit the fender like that would be highly unlikely. Definitely can tell your a writer with your story.

Regardless this is Terrible and should not happen.

... Teslas are the target of hateful people
... Sentry Mode would have saved me from what I think was a Tesla-hate crime
... The hate crime occurred while I was doing a good deed
... hit the right front fender with his door with extreme prejudice.
... slashed the edge of the fender with so much force he left a foot long gash!
... It looked like some of the XPel, the paint, and the aluminum body panel had been sheared off.
... This was the door-ding from hell.
... The attacker had to go out of his way to intensionally slam my car
... threw his door wide open with all his might.

Jesus McSugartits, you have a flair for the dramatic. I was expecting to see your strut tower through a gaping hole in the aluminum fender, not a little bit of PPF peeled back revealing a perfectly intact, nearly flawless body panel.

I can't imagine any scenario where Sentry Mode would have changed the outcome of this incident one bit.

Nor can I imagine any feasible scenario where your highly dramatized description of events resulted in the damage shown, but I digress.

Who knows what motivates people for things like this, but I'm sure glad your film protected the car :)

I put some on the back of my wife's trunk lip (there's a joke in there somewhere...) and the headlights and fog lights, but I don't have it anywhere else.

The more important points of this post are (a) The Xpel wrap is in fact useful protection and (b) Sentry Mode could have made a difference.

I make the point repeatedly in the post that this might not have been a hate crime. How the two cars were parked and what I saw in the Dashcam video leads me to believe it was better than 50:50 intentional... Whether the guy hated expensive cars or e-cars or it was just misdirected anger, who knows?
The title of your post specifically stated that this was a Tesla hate-crime, and conjectured that Sentry Mode may have saved you from it.
"Could Sentry Mode have saved me from this Tesla-hate crime?"

It is obvious that it's not a hate crime, but rather a normal parking misadventure.
It's paranoid to think it was a hate crime.

I learned a lesson today. Teslas are the target of hateful people for a lot of mindless “reasons.” Some of this targeting is due to the politics of climate change. Some of it is due to the stereotype that only liberal greenie snowflakes drive e-cars. I guess some of it is just a love of anything that burns oil and outrage at anything that might herald the end of burning dead dinosaurs to run to the corner market to buy some beer.

When I took delivery of my second loaded Model S 100D in January 2018. I had my brand new baby fully wrapped in XPel Ultimate and chrome deleted. For those who don’t know, XPel Ultimate is a thick self-healing plastic covering which protects the car from scratches and dings. It also looks great and makes caring for the finish ridiculously easy—no wax, just wash, and let dry. I was buying this Tesla for keeps and wanted to keep it in perfect condition. The XPel wrap set me back $4,500. Gulp! But it was worth it to protect my new e-car from the plague of highway debris which is all over South Florida and the percentage of drivers here who are uncivilized, crazy, and just plain angry. We have a terrible road rage and reckless driving problem in South Florida. If you live here, you know what I’m talking about.

I have babied my new Tesla from hand washing it myself to parking in the back of the lot far from the maddening crowds. Since it was announced, I have been anxiously waiting for the Sentry Mode update which could come any day. Oddly, I felt like this was a race against time. Today this prescient feeling sadly bore bitter fruit.

Sentry Mode would have saved me from what I think was a Tesla-hate crime or at the very least, reduced the damage. The hate crime occurred while I was doing a good deed to help my wife, Dana with a dance rehearsal for one of her classes. No good deed goes unpunished. Dana has been a teacher of the arts at schools of the arts for most of her teaching career. The arts are chronically underfunded, and so I took off time from working on my latest novel to help out. At Dana’s urging, since we had a lot of stuff to carry inside, I parked in a small lot near the entrance to the theater, instead of in my typical out of the way haunts. This was the first and last time I’ll ever park in a higher traffic area.

Was it a Tesla-hate crime or just a random bit of bad luck delivered by some angry inconsiderate dinosaur who parked next to me? The attacker, an overweight guy, hit the right front fender with his door with extreme prejudice. I can see the guy in my mind grumbling and thinking, “Expensive electric car… Grrrr… Take that!” The guy slashed the edge of the fender with so much force he left a foot long gash! It looked like some of the XPel, the paint, and the aluminum body panel had been sheared off. This was no normal door-ding. This was the door-ding from hell. The guy that did this must have been angry about something. Maybe he hated Teslas? Maybe he hated all e-cars? Maybe he hated his life?

View attachment 382299

I have a 24x7 BlackVue dashcam which caught some of the incident. But the field of view was not wide enough to record the actual impact on the fender. All the camera showed was an overweight man walking to his car and then the cars jostling from some undisclosed impact. The camera did show the attacker leaving the scene of the “crime” but not enough identification to later track him down. The driver side of my car was parked close to a cement curb leaving a wide space on the passenger side with plenty of room to open doors. The attacker had to go out of his way to intensionally slam my car, or was he so angry at something that he was not thinking and threw his door wide open with all his might.

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla might have warned off the guy when he was too close to my car by flashing the headlights and lighting up the inside of the vehicle. Maybe this would have been enough to make this angry fool think twice?

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla would have set off an alarm after the impact. The alert on my iPhone would have given me enough time to run outside and catch the guy. My BlackVue showed the attacker lingering for some time. Maybe he was soaking up the joy from venting his anger on my car? Maybe he was suffering an attack of guilt? Maybe he was just angry about the self-inflicted damage he must have done to his own door? What a mook.

If I had Sentry Mode, my Tesla would have videoed the attack from better angles. It would have shown the swing of the door and more identifying information. My Tesla might then have been able to bring its attacker to justice. I wonder if Tesla should add a public enemy most wanted list where it uploads videos of unsolved Tesla-hate crimes (just kidding).

As it turns out, I dodged the worst of the bullet. The full XPel Ultimate wrap shielded me from most of the damage (see pics below). After I spent an hour cleaning my Tesla’s wounds, I found there was no gouged aluminum, no dent, and the paint beneath the XPel was largely spared too. What you see in the first pictures is shorn bits of XPel, not body damage. In the dark parking lot, it looked like disaster had struck. The damage to the paint ended up being so minor it can only be spotted when looking from oblique angles.

The sheet of XPel that shielded my fender will have to be replaced and minor paint touch up will also be needed. While that won’t be cheap, it will be a far cry from the cost of repainting and possibly even replacing the fender.

So XPel Ultimate really works. It can help shield you from some Tesla-hate crimes as well as those random acts of fate and road debris too. I suspect since the XPel saved my car from this angry door attack, it could also save my car from key attacks, or worse. In the future, I’ll be wrapping every car I own with XPel. But I really want my Sentry Mode. I really want some psychological deterrents to Tesla-hate crimes. Come on Elon, get those updates rolling out faster. My Model S 100D needs a little more loving protection from the Tesla mother ship.

View attachment 382300
View attachment 382301
Absolutely, you almost sound as shocked as Jussie Smollet. I'd give CNN a call. I'm sure lots of people will be sympathizing with your "hate crime".

Reactions: AMPd and hpartsch
Wow...happended to me once. But it did not live in my mind forever, as another poster suggested. I also had a near miss with my MS last christmass at a mall when a lady let the wind catch her door and it slammed into mine...no trace, not even a scuff mark.

I now park the car far away from other cars, no matter the walk..