Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could "Smart Shift" be a software update to old cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thought hit me yesterday. Is it possible that the new "smart shift" on the next gen S/X will be coming to older cars? It could be a simple toggle on/off in the settings.

As a bonus, with the 3/Y they could repurpose the right stalk to control the wipers. Seems like a huge win and is another example of OTA software updates potential for magic.

Some of Tesla's crazy "far out" ideas have proven to be worthwhile advances like the cellphone key or buttonless dashboard. It wouldn't surprise me if they began offering auto-shift as an option. They have enough data on all of our cars to enable it with nearly flawless execution to create an army of satisfied users to offset the new S/X owners faced with growing pains.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41
really.... which cars are those? It's one I have never owned. I'd be confused by it :)
My '14 Fiesta has the wiper stalk on the right. Doesn't bother me. 🤷‍♂️

maxresdefault.jpg

(not my picture....used for illustration purposes only) 😁

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I believe most cars have the wiper on the right, A quick check showed BMW, Toyota, Lexus, Audi, VW, and Mini all have it on the right. Mercedes is the only brand I've found with the wiper on the left.

Regardless, there's no way Tesla is ever going to swap cruise control functions with the wipers, nor would they force auto-shift onto older cars. No need for any speculative worry, let's just hope that they offer it as a cool free feature option someday.

I believe most cars have the wiper on the right, A quick check showed BMW, Toyota, Lexus, Audi, VW, and Mini all have it on the right. Mercedes is the only brand I've found with the wiper on the left.

Regardless, there's no way Tesla is ever going to swap cruise control functions with the wipers, nor would they force auto-shift onto older cars. No need for any speculative worry, let's just hope that they offer it as a cool free feature option someday.
Not an accurate sample size, but my Mustang, Fusion, and Expedition have the wiper stalk on the left.

I think if the car has the "shift stick" on the wheel rather than in the middle, wipers goes to the left, because the shifter is always to the right. But if the stick is between seats, the wipers are to the right. My Chevrolet has the stick between seats and wipers are to the right.

Not too long ago I had a VW car and Toyota van and they had their wipers and turn signals on opposite sides. I was always in one or the other and the wipers would come on whenever I was making a turn or changing lanes 🤔
Right before COVID I was in a right-hand drive country for vacation. Honestly the turn signal on the 'wrong' side tripped me up much more than driving on the other side. Probably because I was using muscle memory for the signals but thinking about which side of the road to drive on :)