Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could someone help me understand SGIP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would put you into large residential. Step 2 in PG&E territories, and Step 3 in all others for California. Tesla website says you are on your own for the application. That puts folks in an odd place among commercial solar professionals. The large residential non-category has very little uptake looking at the real time reports dating back to 2016. There are key differences, but I haven’t had a chance to declare what the delta is.
I did figure out one delta in 2020 April Handbook: residential is 52 total discharges. Anyone here have an opinion why didn't more people buy 3 PWs, and do the large residential route? Was it the paperwork or what marketing has steered us with?

There was a time when sales were unsure if folks have enough solar to recharge the batteries, so many were steered to be conservative. No one really knew how the Powerwall system would work because the software was so new. In fact, Time Based Contact wasn't even around. Fast forward to now, Time Base Control to my surprise for peak hours 2-9pm (EV-A) zero solar is consumed, and my house is running off 100% battery even if it's sunny outside. This very algorithm if known prior would have changed the way Powerwall systems would have been sold. More would have been sold. That's my hunch.

Just really starting to look into this for ourselves. Could use some clarification as well.

1) To qualify for SGIP you have to fully discharge your system 100%, 52 times per year (a) (so like once a week essentially) at 687kWh for each powerwall I assume. Does this mean you will be required to supply at least 687kWh x #PW back into the grid then? I understand PG&E will monitor this for 5 years after which time if you've meet the requirement then you've effectively have satisfied your obligation to earn the incentive. Do they then stop monitoring your usage?

2) Read that Tesla does not apply for the SGIP for you if you purchase a Large Residential set up of 3 or more PWs (they will apply for you only up to 2 PWs (a)). In order to get the SGIP incentives for larger systems you need to apply yourself as what? an Applicant (b), Developer (c), or both? and jump through all the document/timeline hoops hopefully getting a check in the end?? What is "additional sizing requirements"?

3) What Step are we in now for Large Residential General installations? We don't quality for the Equity or other special program.

4) If you've gone through doing the paperwork for the General Large Installation, how was your experience with the paperwork and about how long did it take you to complete? Have you received your incentive money yet? How many PWs were part of your application? Was it worth it to you to apply?

5) any chance there is a "Dummies Guide for Homeowners Installing Large Powerwall Systems and Applying for SGIP"? LOL. Also my husband asked if anyone has done an application for 3 PWs or 4 PWs what your incentive amount comes out to? Curious is this varies depending on everyone's circumstances or is a set formula.

6) I noticed that on PG&E's website for the incentives that anything over the 10kW, which 3 PW would be requires you to apply for "General Market" Non-Residental incentives. and then it's kind of a Catch 22 in that it says there under eligibility: "To receive Large-Scale General Market incentives: the customer is either Commercial, Government, or Non-Profit"

(a) from Tesla's PowerWall support page
Residential SGIP Installations
SGIP has reserved funds specifically for small-scale residential installations. To be considered residential, the storage system must be no larger than 10 kW.

Tesla will only be submitting customers in the residential budget, therefore only systems of up to 2 Powerwalls will be submitted through Tesla. Other developers may choose to submit applications for systems with 3 or more Powerwalls, but these systems will be subject to additional sizing requirements.

(b)
Applicant: The entity, either the Host Customer, System Owner, or third party designated by the Host Customer responsible for the development and submission of the SGIP application materials. Functions as the main point of communication between the SGIP Program Administrator for a specific SGIP Application.

(c)
Developer: For applications received in Steps 1 and 2, a Developer is the corporate entity that holds the contract for purchase and installation of the system, and/or alternative System Ownership Agreement (such as a Power Purchase Agreement) with the host customer and handles the project’s development activities. For applications received in Step 3 and later, a Developer is, if not individual homeowners applying for SGIP incentives for systems located on their own property, the corporate entity registered and in good standing with the Secretary of State of California that handles a substantial amount of the project’s development activities.

Last edited:
I cant answer many of your questions, but it was my understanding that Tesla is not applying for SGIP for any new installs, regardless of size, unless its the "special" one in Nor Cal (equity and resilience I think its called). So, "residential" (1-2) or "large" 3+" doesnt matter, they are not assisting homeowners with that.

You can try to register for it yourself, but then you are registering as basically a developer (It seems to me like saying you are your own contractor). If it were "easy" for everyone to self register, everyone would. Its not impossible, but looked extremely difficult to me... enough so for me to completely ignore it as an option for myself anyway (self registering).

Maybe tesla's stance on submitting for 3+ powerwalls has changed?

I live in Northern CA where my power has been shutoff and I've been evacuated for fires twice. I have been waiting for months, delayed by Virus, for Tesla to submit my 3 Powerwall system to the Sonoma County building department so I can be scheduled. I already already have 17KW of solar. In the meantime I see where the SGIP for energy storage for PG&E has been refunded. I downloaded the 130+ page SGIP handbook which is rather difficult to read for trivial basics. I was wondering if someone here could answer some basic questions.

Given my situation in PG&E in Sonoma with existing solar and in the highest risk fire power loss area and 3 Powerwalls that are under installation contract by Tesla, do I have any chance at SGIP funds at this point and is it even worth trying?

Is there any simpler way of determining my potential?

I just started an application and the first thing I ran into was "who is my host company" ? PG&E and ho do I find their contact person?

It wants to know my developer? Tesla.... Was is the developer key? it wants

Any help or ideas appreciated.

I live in Northern CA where my power has been shutoff and I've been evacuated for fires twice. I have been waiting for months, delayed by Virus, for Tesla to submit my 3 Powerwall system to the Sonoma County building department so I can be scheduled. I already already have 17KW of solar. In the meantime I see where the SGIP for energy storage for PG&E has been refunded. I downloaded the 130+ page SGIP handbook which is rather difficult to read for trivial basics. I was wondering if someone here could answer some basic questions.

Given my situation in PG&E in Sonoma with existing solar and in the highest risk fire power loss area and 3 Powerwalls that are under installation contract by Tesla, do I have any chance at SGIP funds at this point and is it even worth trying?

Is there any simpler way of determining my potential?

I just started an application and the first thing I ran into was "who is my host company" ? PG&E and ho do I find their contact person?

It wants to know my developer? Tesla.... Was is the developer key? it wants

Any help or ideas appreciated.
1. Your name on everything except installer. 2. You have to get a key for yourself. 3. You can skip it and the tool can figure out your eligibility supposedly.

1. Your name on everything except installer. 2. You have to get a key for yourself. 3. You can skip it and the tool can figure out your eligibility supposedly.
This is great news! I had 3 Powerwalls installed in February and it would be awesome if I could get the SGIP rebate.

I downloaded the Developer Eligibility Application from this page

SGIP | Developer Registration

Is that what you are talking about? What boxes did you check in section 2) Activity Questionnaire?

Thanks!

This is great news! I had 3 Powerwalls installed in February and it would be awesome if I could get the SGIP rebate.

I downloaded the Developer Eligibility Application from this page

SGIP | Developer Registration

Is that what you are talking about? What boxes did you check in section 2) Activity Questionnaire?

Thanks!
Representing yourself as developer has its challenges. PG&E is in Step 2. The new definition in Step 3 was actually changed due to my input with Ron Moreno's help. I am not well versed with Step 3 or beyond. According to definition, Ron at the time, challenged me because I was not corporate entity. The definition for Step 3 is friendlier to home owners. I frankly believe PG&E will not qualify any homeowners going forward under Step 2. The definition changes at Step 3.

I would call someone at Tesla knowledgeable (interconnect group, non-customer facing, difficult) to see if Tesla can be the developer. You'll have to obtain a developer key (and get permission) from them. Perhaps Tesla doesn't want to be burdened with the application portion. I could simply pay $100 to reserve another PW to have this conversation to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:
My feeling from the little research I’ve done so far is that if individual homeowners are eligible to apply, which they say we are, they should have a separate form for us and tailor it to make it easier to complete.

I suspect that for applications with 10kW or less, Tesla was filling them out for their customers because I’m assuming it was pretty much customized boiler plate forms with no special calculations that needed to be done, unlike for larger systems where you have to look at a years worth of bills and do other calculations to justify the incentive.

Still unclear without working thru all the paperwork if the incentive is worth it like @jjrandorin said. I printed out the forms to look over but haven’t had the time to further spend on it at this point and still want to call PG&E about it.

1) To qualify for SGIP you have to fully discharge your system 100%, 52 times per year (a) (so like once a week essentially) at 687kWh for each powerwall I assume. Does this mean you will be required to supply at least 687kWh x #PW back into the grid then? I understand PG&E will monitor this for 5 years after which time if you've meet the requirement then you've effectively have satisfied your obligation to earn the incentive. Do they then stop monitoring your usage?

Just to clarify this point: the discharge requirement is not to the grid, but just to your house. Powerwalls aren't normally configured to allow discharging into the grid in the US (except presumably in the few areas that have virtual power plant support). PG&E isn't doing the monitoring - Tesla is. PG&E may request records from Tesla to prove that you're doing the 52 discharges a year. Also, Tesla says they may change your backup reserve settings if it looks like you're not on track to meet the 52 discharge requirement.

Obviously Tesla will continue monitoring your system after the five years, but presumably PG&E would not request the data any more after that.

I'm going through the same process and I'm trying to navigate this. My load requirements would necessitate a 4 unit powerwall system. SCE has availability in step 3 for large scale, but as others have mentioned Tesla will not submit any paperwork for a system of these sizes. Its sounding like that I will require registration for a developer key and have to do the process myself. It would be nice if we could keep this thread updated so we can all help each other out.

Good post.

wow... every time i get close to having tesla actually install my PWs, i find out something new that might delay the project again.

looks like i am on for a mid july install of 2x powerwalls after several delays, both self-inflicted and covid-inflicted. i guess if i wanted to install 3 on the first go-round, it would have to go back thru permitting which would delay me some number of months again.

at the risk of the large-scale program running out of money, based on this thread it sounds like after everything is installed and PTO is received, i might be able to call up tesla energy and have them install a 3rd powerwall and then qualify for the large-scale program.

if i actually accomplished this, it looks like i'd have 3 powerwalls for around $6k less than 2 powerwalls with only the 26% ITC.

one thing that's not clear from the above - how much power do you have to be able to draw to qualify as large-scale with 3x powerwalls? if it's 10KW then i think i'm fine as just the model 3 + the oven together pull 12KW at least.

just so i understand, PGE's SGIP website says they are in step 1 of the large-scale program, however, 1117 days from may 1, 2017 is right around now. so despite the website saying they are in step 1, they are actually in step 2? what is the actual ramification of being part of step 2? what are the odds that large-scale runs out of money this year?

wow... every time i get close to having tesla actually install my PWs, i find out something new that might delay the project again.

looks like i am on for a mid july install of 2x powerwalls after several delays, both self-inflicted and covid-inflicted. i guess if i wanted to install 3 on the first go-round, it would have to go back thru permitting which would delay me some number of months again.

at the risk of the large-scale program running out of money, based on this thread it sounds like after everything is installed and PTO is received, i might be able to call up tesla energy and have them install a 3rd powerwall and then qualify for the large-scale program.

if i actually accomplished this, it looks like i'd have 3 powerwalls for around $6k less than 2 powerwalls with only the 26% ITC.

one thing that's not clear from the above - how much power do you have to be able to draw to qualify as large-scale with 3x powerwalls? if it's 10KW then i think i'm fine as just the model 3 + the oven together pull 12KW at least.

just so i understand, PGE's SGIP website says they are in step 1 of the large-scale program, however, 1117 days from may 1, 2017 is right around now. so despite the website saying they are in step 1, they are actually in step 2? what is the actual ramification of being part of step 2? what are the odds that large-scale runs out of money this year?

Even if you call tesla up after you install your two powerwalls and install A third, they (tesla) will not submit this for you, so you would need to apply for your own developer key, and navigate that rebate issue for yourself.

Even if you call tesla up after you install your two powerwalls and install A third, they (tesla) will not submit this for you, so you would need to apply for your own developer key, and navigate that rebate issue for yourself.

understood, i have plenty of time to work on nonsense like that. i'm just trying to suss out how successful a homeowner would be (and if i meet the requirements) before risking another ~8k on a 3rd powerwall.

did that new fire code stuff work its way out? or would it be prohibited to put 3 powerwalls on an outside wall?

Sorry to surface on old(er) thread but i'm curious if anyone has been successful going down this road. I'm scheduled for an 8kw Solar Roof install this fall along with 2 PW's and was contemplating adding a third to quality for the Step 3 SGIP rebate, but it really does seem like a long and deeply complex process. I'm not sure i'm qualified to be the test case, so any thoughts or insights would be great.

As an fyi, my permit application was just submitted to the city, so I imagine adding an additional PW would also set the project back a bit?