Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could someone help me understand SGIP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to surface on old(er) thread but i'm curious if anyone has been successful going down this road. I'm scheduled for an 8kw Solar Roof install this fall along with 2 PW's and was contemplating adding a third to quality for the Step 3 SGIP rebate, but it really does seem like a long and deeply complex process. I'm not sure i'm qualified to be the test case, so any thoughts or insights would be great.

As an fyi, my permit application was just submitted to the city, so I imagine adding an additional PW would also set the project back a bit?

Your key statement is "solar roof from tesla". Tesla does not apply for the SGIP unless its equity and resiliency (special program), so you would have to try to navigate that on your own, and I only remember reading 1 or 2 people who did that here and its not "filling out a few forms".

If the question is "have people navigated filling out SGIP on their own" I believe the answer is "yes, but not many at all, and its a process that is not designed as such". If the question is "will buying a third powerwall from tesla get them to apply for it on my behalf" the answer is "no, tesla states they only apply for up to 2 powerwalls, and they are over the developer cap for those installs."

If the question is "can I get SGIP on 3 plus powerwalls?" the answer is "yes, if you go with a solar install company that is not over the developer cap for 3 powerwalls" (thus you would want to separate your solar roof into 2 different installs, tesla for roof, and some other company for powerwalls".

The next question would be "would I save any money by separating the install to get SGIP from a solar company that still has developer cap space for 3 powerwall installs?" The answer to that is very likely "no" because that third party non tesla installer is going to charge you such that, even factoring the SGIP rebate, the price for 3 powerwalls will net out to roughly what tesla is charging for 3 powerwalls without SGIP.

So, your only real recourse is to try to navigate it yourself, if you plan on going with tesla, and since you mention you want to be a test case, I would suggest that is not something you would likely want to try to accomplish.

Sorry to surface on old(er) thread but i'm curious if anyone has been successful going down this road. I'm scheduled for an 8kw Solar Roof install this fall along with 2 PW's and was contemplating adding a third to quality for the Step 3 SGIP rebate, but it really does seem like a long and deeply complex process. I'm not sure i'm qualified to be the test case, so any thoughts or insights would be great.

As an fyi, my permit application was just submitted to the city, so I imagine adding an additional PW would also set the project back a bit?

The root cause of the confusion with SGIP is that it's too vague. There are four major sub-categories of SGIP; and you need to drill down the one extra level to get to your answer.

1) SGIP Resiliency is very well funded and lots of installers are going to help people get this incentive. However, this is only homeowners who were hit by PSPS power shutdowns or live in high-fire threat areas. Homeowners also need to be on a Medical baseline or on well-water to power their pumps. I think $13,500 for a single Powerwall can be had here for those that qualify.

2) SGIP Equity is well funded but is for homes categorized as low-income on on special programs

3) SGIP Small-Scale was the most popular program. This one is for 1x or 2x Powerwalls. Unfortunately there's a mega wait list and you're probably not going to get a penny from this if you buy a new system today under this one.

4) SGIP Large-Scale is still funded but is very hard to get. It's for 3x or more Powerwalls; and only a few installers seem to even know how to help a consumer get it. Tesla won't even try to help someone get this one (Energy Incentives | Powerwall Support). I am trying to submit to the program as my own developer to try and get the large-scale. The forms are kind of annoying but not impossible to complete.

But the CPUC left me two messages that my application is under review. I think it's unlikely they'll allow me since it seems to them I'm trying to skirt around their rules. These incentives weren't really meant to be consumer rebates. So yeah; good luck trying to get this one.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, I've read all the threads on this and I get the parameters. To answer the above, i'm not deviating from the plan to have Tesla sell and install the PW's, I don't see any benefit given my use case. The only question i'm trying to determine is if I should add a 3rd PW (via Tesla) to qualify for SGIP Large Scale and going it alone with the approval process, which seems daunting. I'm reasonably technical and generally good at following up/navigating bureaucracy, but this does seem to be a fairly involved process with an uncertain outcome. I don't think I've seen anyone successfully receive their rebate yet, but it's good to know that people are trying.

Assuming you're confident that the CPUC will actually distribute funds to you as a homeowner-lead application... then yes, you should add it since the incremental cost of the 3rd Powerwall is less than the $8,700 you'd get on the large-scale program.

But I get the sense the CPUC doesn't like homeowners applying for their own developer key (even though their website says the homeowner is allowed to do this). There are soooo many stupid forms and stuff you have to do for the large-scale program. Very messy so be prepared for a lot of frustration even if you do get the developer key from the CPUC.

The other risk you have is making sure the storage of your 3x Powerwalls can complete 104 full cycles a year. Assuming your PV system is around 8kW, I believe you should be ok for this requirement.

It seems like there is enough money at stake to go for it in the case of my pending 3 PW installation. The worst result is you waste some time and get turned down.

I don't quite have my head around the concept of Tesla not applying for the program. Its understandable that the sectors of the program as to which Tesla is already capped out, but not a sector as to which the customer could get some significant dollars.

It seems like there is enough money at stake to go for it in the case of my pending 3 PW installation. The worst result is you waste some time and get turned down.

I don't quite have my head around the concept of Tesla not applying for the program. Its understandable that the sectors of the program as to which Tesla is already capped out, but not a sector as to which the customer could get some significant dollars.

Most likely (seriously only a guess), the program is cumbersome enough (and customers complain to them about not receiving checks etc, or accuse them of not pulling through, or take up a lot of resources applying for these) that tesla decided "enough, we will just price our powerwalls to be competitive without the SGIP, we dont want to be bothered with it, its too much work".

Thus, we end up in a situation where teslas price without SGIP is roughly equal to everyone else non tesla WITH it, and they dont have to be bothered / get harassed / have customers accuse them of anything after a year or so of not receiving the rebates.

Most likely (seriously only a guess), the program is cumbersome enough (and customers complain to them about not receiving checks etc, or accuse them of not pulling through, or take up a lot of resources applying for these) that tesla decided "enough, we will just price our powerwalls to be competitive without the SGIP, we dont want to be bothered with it, its too much work".

Thus, we end up in a situation where teslas price without SGIP is roughly equal to everyone else non tesla WITH it, and they dont have to be bothered / get harassed / have customers accuse them of anything after a year or so of not receiving the rebates.

I suspect you are right. The large-scale SGIP has an extra step that the small-scale program doesn't have.

This extra step is called a "proof of progress milestone." And in the step there is a "energy efficiency audit performed during the past 5 years. Audits may be performed by a Program Administrator, your utility, or a qualified vendor/consultant."

I had this on-site audit done a few months ago as part of the Energy Upgrade California program to help homeowners make sure their homes aren't wasting unexpected energy. The irony is that even after this audit (which I passed very well), PG&E still blames ME for the crazy high energy costs I have to pay to live in this house. Total BS from PG&E. I hate PG&E.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I suspect you are right. The large-scale SGIP has an extra step that the small-scale program doesn't have.

This extra step is called a "proof of progress milestone." And in the step there is a "energy efficiency audit performed during the past 5 years. Audits may be performed by a Program Administrator, your utility, or a qualified vendor/consultant."

I had this on-site audit done a few months ago as part of the Energy Upgrade California program to help homeowners make sure their homes aren't wasting unexpected energy. The irony is that even after this audit (which I passed very well), PG&E still blames ME for the crazy high energy costs I have to pay to live in this house. Total BS from PG&E. I hate PG&E.

Whoops, sorry the PPM is a "Proof of Project Milestone" ... I mistakenly called it "Progress"

Sorry about the type-o.

There is a very fuzzy interpretation of one of the requirements here... worth a consideration if you think Tesla (or your chosen installer) would actively work against you on trying to get the PPM signed.

Online Proof of Project Milestone Form (All 3-Step Projects)*

The Online Proof of Project Milestone Form must be completed and signed by the Applicant and representatives with signature authority for both the System Owner and Host Customer (if not Host Customer). The online form must identify updated project information including the installation contractor’s name, telephone number and contractor license number. All systems must be installed by an appropriately licensed California contractor in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the State of California Contractors’ State Licensing Board (CSLB).

Installation contractors must have an active A, B, or C-10 license, or a C-46 license for the combined installation of solar photovoltaics and
energy storage.

* Note: Not required for 2-Step Applications as part of the Reservation Request Package.

Here are the key bits from my SGIP Small-Scale rebate from a non-Tesla certified installer (SF East Bay with PG&E and EBCE).

4kW panels + 1 PW2 installed end of Sept 2019, PTO early Nov 2019
add 2kW panels + 1 PW2 installed end of Dec 2019, PTO early Jun 2020

Declared cost of 2 PW2 on the SGIP application (was not explicitly itemized in either order): $22770
SGIP rebate amount: $5800

SGIP ICP signed on the same day as the 2nd PTO
SGIP ICP approved mid Aug 2020
Check received end of Aug 2020