TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Could Tesla become the primary manufacturer of the Hyperloop vehicle?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by ToddRLockwood, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#1 ToddRLockwood, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    This seems like a natural fit for Tesla. They could become the primary manufacturer of the Hyperloop vehicle—not the whole system, just the vehicle itself—and perhaps some of the key external components. The rest of it could be built by contractors or governments, according to Tesla's specifications. This would readily fit into manufacturing mix at Fremont.

2. nspollution

nspollution Member

I hope not.

Tesla as a company has a big enough challenge on their hands. They don't need to be fighting other battles.

3. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Plus, the market for these vehicles will be VERY small; dozens to a few hundred units total.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'd think it'd be more in the SpaceX realm of expertise. Low pressure environment, high speed.

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I wonder. If the Hyperloop is a success in California, we could see numerous other locations in the U.S., Europe and Asia. According to the Hyperloop white paper, the California Hyperloop calls for forty 28-passenger vehicles at a projected cost of $1.35 million each, or $54 million total. The system also calls for a propulsion system at a projected cost of $140 million. I'd estimate Tesla's contribution to a typical Hyperloop system to be $200-250 million.

- - - Updated - - -

Although Tesla's manufacturing environment might be more suited—with their huge metal stamping presses and gobs of unused space.

6. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Distinction between Tesla Motors and SpaceX is mostly formal.

7. Ampster

Ampster Member

California needs to figure out the Maglev strategy. If abandoned, money has to go back to Feds. Either way, right of ways have to be purchased, plans developed, bonds floated, then the bids go out to vendors. By then I hope the NUMMI. plant will be at capacity. Long time before Tesla or SpaceEx has to cross that bridge.

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I disagree. The companies have quite different feelings and philosophies. I have toured both. SpaceX has very much a focus on "it has to be right". Tesla, while caring a lot about quality and service, has a focus on "We have to build a lot of these..."

Don't take me wrong; I'd be proud to work for either of them. It's a subtle disctinction but it is real.

9. Ampster

Ampster Member

I have only toured SpaceX but know a few people who work at both. Interestingly the SpaceX people are trying to ramp up production, albeit on a smaller scale. They both are great entreprenuerial companies. We need more like them in this great country of ours.