Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Tesla design the car to prevent heat related deaths?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will not do this, at least not with a splashy marketing campaign. Because all it takes is one failure for Tesla to become "the child-killing car."

What will more likely happen is a government mandate for all manufacturers to implement it. That way no one company carries the bag for a failure.

Car manufacturers added Seatbelts, Airbags, ABS, Traction control, AEB before it was government mandated. And they can all fail. It doesn't mean it doesn't make us safer as a whole.

Reactions: 1208
Tesla will not do this, at least not with a splashy marketing campaign. Because all it takes is one failure for Tesla to become "the child-killing car."

What will more likely happen is a government mandate for all manufacturers to implement it. That way no one company carries the bag for a failure.

Hopefully "lets do the right thing, make the world a better place, potentially save lives, be an example, and lead the way" will continue to be Tesla's ideology. A simple well worded disclaimer /warning is probably all that is needed rather than "lawsuit fear paralysis"

Best to leave it in the hands of the one both responsible for the car and responsible for the child/pet. They have a smartphone and an app, most likely. You can run the A/C without being present and without idling. (Correct? I don't actually have a Tesla, yet.) You've got the features ... just use them!

I'm wondering if the cops will know about this. In my area (even if it is not that hot), people will call animal control to let them know a dog is in the car.

Not that I have to personally worry about this as I don't have any pets.:rolleyes:
Well, I have heard that the AC compressor is kind of loud so folks in theory would be aware that the vehicle is on at least. Shoot if anything this mode should also help to reduce the interior temp even if no one is in the car.

I'm wondering if the cops will know about this. In my area (even if it is not that hot), people will call animal control to let them know a dog is in the car.

Not that I have to personally worry about this as I don't have any pets.:rolleyes:
When we were driving back to Colorado from the gigafactory in July, we saw a red S at a couple of the Superchargers and he had a sign in the back indicating his dog was ok because the air conditioning was always running. He didn't provide any contact info but I would probably include a phone number as that would give people a way to contact you before they decided they didn't believe you and tried smashing in your windows.

Is this a current feature (maintain temp below 105) ? If it is, mine doesn't seem to do that. Inside temp was 109 couple of days ago according to the app... I see no settings anywhere on MCU either. :oops:

There's still more value in a car that knows if it's occupied by something alive and responds accordingly. Deciding to keep the temperature below some level is one action. Communicating with the owner about it also makes sense.

Seats already have weight sensors to activate airbags. It wouldn't be that expensive to add interior motion sensors. Between them the system could be very confident a person or animal was onboard.

Interior sensors/cameras and the capacity to know if someone is onboard will be needed for Mobility Fleet L5 vehicles anyway.