Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Tesla make Regen stronger on pre-raven cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is Planned Obsolescence.

Yes, they can, just as you can roll forward, put it in reverse, and apply power to motor until the car stops, or- the other way around, the software could bring it to a stop just fine.
A sensed brushless motor has no problem with it, even on toy/RC-scale.
you may not regen-brake while producing 20kW town to 3km/t, but you can spend energy to brake frictionless just fine.

The reason you won't get it, is planned obsolescence, the same reason you won't get karaoke on AP1, not a technical reason like "cant display text", but pure, good, old, greed.

If the obsolescence were planned, Tesla wouldn't make cars better than when they were new, with software updates. It's more like inevitable obsolescence, especially if they didn't have the resources to support everything regardless of technical specifications of years old hardware.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Thought years ago they played with regen because it was coming in too hard too fast and hurting the gearbox. Thought they just gave it a soft start.
Is this the regen reduction you saw 3 years ago?

Teslas have no gearbox. The only explanation is for battery and drive unit longevity. Otherwise they could do stronger Regen but not the same as with the new PM motors.

Thought years ago they played with regen because it was coming in too hard too fast and hurting the gearbox. Thought they just gave it a soft start.
Is this the regen reduction you saw 3 years ago?
I was never aware of the reason but perhaps ...

And yes Tesla's have a gearbox. It's a single speed set of gears as a reduction box.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I test drove a 2020 MS prior to buying my 2016 90D (to see if the family fit...we do).
The regen in that car was significantly stronger/more powerful than in my 2016.
The 2020 would come to a complete stop and there was ZERO slipping backward on a slight incline.
My 2016 definitely feels more like an ICE in neutral when stopped.
I wish it were stronger.
I really do.