Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could TESLA use Starlink Satellites for more Precise Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that SpaceX will be launching thousands of Starlink satellites into low earth orbit.

Could Tesla use those thousands of low earth orbit satellites to create a more precise location network than the existing one from GPS satellites to improve navigation? Assuming that since there will be so many more Satellites and they will be at a lower orbit, assuming you could get better precision on the location of the vehicle.

I am no satellite expert, just curious and hoping someone on the forum may be.

Starlink receivers are not going to be on cars. Where did you hear that it was going to be used on cars?

The starlink satellites are going to be used for broadband internet. I don't know how big the antenna needs to be or if they work with a moving target, but assuming they could potentially be used for car internet if the antenna can be small enough.

The main question I was raising is if starlink could be used to broadcast an atomic clock time signal which is how GPS works in navigation. Due to the closer orbit and thousands of them, assuming they would be more precise than the current GPS system which only has 30 or so satellites in a much higher orbit.

I believe that they have improved GPS precision and accuracy over the years. Reading Wikipedia, I think they have stopped the selective accuracy, which was the intentional adjustment to the signal to make it less accurate.

I thought GPS could not do things like determine which lane your car is in or if you are approaching a traffic light or directly under it. Something I would think you may be able to do with how many closely orbiting Starlink satellites there will be.

Reactions: johnm6875
Could Tesla use those thousands of low earth orbit satellites to create a more precise location network than the existing one from GPS satellites to improve navigation?

No, they won't be.

Assuming that since there will be so many more Satellites and they will be at a lower orbit, assuming you could get better precision on the location of the vehicle.

No, they couldn't. GPS relies on very accurate timing and extremely precise positioning, and goes so far as to take into account the effect of relativity to account for the fact that time is slightly faster in space than on earth. SpaceX's internet satellites will not be equipped with anything capable of handling that task.

In addition, the receiver is about the size of a pizza box and will not be on these cars. This has been discussed multiple times in forums as well as during investor calls. Teslas won't be equipped with StarLink, and it doesn't make much sense for cars in the first place since 5G services will be able to handle very high bandwidth micro cells, and high bandwidth larger cells here on earth.

Reactions: clydeiii and J1mbo
No, they won't be.

No, they couldn't. GPS relies on very accurate timing and extremely precise positioning, and goes so far as to take into account the effect of relativity to account for the fact that time is slightly faster in space than on earth. SpaceX's internet satellites will not be equipped with anything capable of handling that task.

In addition, the receiver is about the size of a pizza box and will not be on these cars. This has been discussed multiple times in forums as well as during investor calls. Teslas won't be equipped with StarLink, and it doesn't make much sense for cars in the first place since 5G services will be able to handle very high bandwidth micro cells, and high bandwidth larger cells here on earth.
Apparently the Starlink signal is able to be used as a GPS per this article, link below. They say with some tweaking it would be as accurate as the current GPS signal which is within 16 feet. My original point was I would assume with thousands of starlink satellites, you could eventually calculate a more accurate position than standard GPS which my understanding has only 31 satellites. According to the article the US military has requested access to this signal for navigation from SpaceX, but was denied.

In addition no doubt you have seen recently that a device the size of a cell phone will be able communicate at low bandwidth with the SpaceX satellites.

Reactions: Mark II
Article came out today implying Tesla may be developing a Starlink specific GPS for use in Tesla automobiles and have applied for trademarks. Guess I may have predicted this one.

Apparently the Starlink signal is able to be used as a GPS per this article, link below. They say with some tweaking it would be as accurate as the current GPS signal which is within 16 feet. My original point was I would assume with thousands of starlink satellites, you could eventually calculate a more accurate position than standard GPS which my understanding has only 31 satellites. According to the article the US military has requested access to this signal for navigation from SpaceX, but was denied.

In addition no doubt you have seen recently that a device the size of a cell phone will be able communicate at low bandwidth with the SpaceX satellites.

Existing GPS, GLONASS, GNSS, etc. isn't slightly imprecise because of ability, it's because of signal propagation. If you're receiving a reflection or your signal is blocked by a building, you lose accuracy. But given the number of services in orbit, and the number of satellites, adding Starlink to them won't really change anything. More satellites doesn't really mean more accuracy here.

There's also basically zero chance the military would actually use any such signal for navigation, regardless of SpaceX allowing or not. SpaceX isn't known for reliability. Aaaand since they've been talking about bankruptcy for two years now, it's probably a really bad idea to lash yourself to that particular anchor. GPS (and international competitors) is funded not only commercially but by the government. It's not going to stop working, it's not going bankrupt, it's not run by a weirdo that might just turn it off because someone didn't say something nice about him today.

As for mobile phones working, SpaceX announced their research work with T-Mo to get ahead of Apple's announcement. They're still in extremely early stages, and it's really only useful for SMS sized messages once every half hour or so. Basically, good for emergency use like "I fell off a cliff and need help".

Existing GPS, GLONASS, GNSS, etc. isn't slightly imprecise because of ability, it's because of signal propagation. If you're receiving a reflection or your signal is blocked by a building, you lose accuracy. But given the number of services in orbit, and the number of satellites, adding Starlink to them won't really change anything. More satellites doesn't really mean more accuracy here.

There's also basically zero chance the military would actually use any such signal for navigation, regardless of SpaceX allowing or not. SpaceX isn't known for reliability. Aaaand since they've been talking about bankruptcy for two years now, it's probably a really bad idea to lash yourself to that particular anchor. GPS (and international competitors) is funded not only commercially but by the government. It's not going to stop working, it's not going bankrupt, it's not run by a weirdo that might just turn it off because someone didn't say something nice about him today.

As for mobile phones working, SpaceX announced their research work with T-Mo to get ahead of Apple's announcement. They're still in extremely early stages, and it's really only useful for SMS sized messages once every half hour or so. Basically, good for emergency use like "I fell off a cliff and need help".
This post is hypothetical on what is possible not what are they doing commercially right now. I appreciate you attempt to limit my discussion to what is proven possible with commercially available products. Per the articles that I have posted, if they are believed, everything I discussed has been tested by researches as possible right now and could be commercially viable products within a few years.

From your responses it seems like you did not read the articles I linked to.

The entire country of Ukraine is relying on the signal accuracy of Starlink to make military strikes everyday, has not been reported they have any significant problems at this point. I'm not aware of the current reliability of the Starlink signal, but I have no doubt within the next few years with all the research going into it, the robustness will no doubt improve even with more users.

For GPS you don't need a strong data feed, just enough to receive the timecode signal which is less than 1KB. When you are talking about reliability as a data provider, the timecode signal is being constantly sent down from the satellites regardless of how much data is being transmitted back and forth.

According to the article I read the US Military has already approached SpaceX to use the signal for navigation and was turned down. Much harder for a country to destroy 3,000 starlink satellites vs the current 30 we have for GPS. Robust backup is something you need when fighting a war. Taking down 30 satellites would be all in a good days work for some countries we could go to war with. Destroying 3,000 satellites sounds like a multiyear effort.
I have no doubt that Spacex could launch enough satellites fast enough to overcome any amount that may be shot down.

The article states the existing signals coming from Starlink satellites has already been used as a defacto GPS by MIT researchers without any assistance from SpaceX, It is nearly as accurate as existing GPS and with some tweaking over time will be as accurate as the current GPS systems based on what is said in the article.

My point was not how much information could be transmitted by a cell phone, but that the antenna within a cell phone is large enough to receive the signal from SpaceX satellites for GPS purposes. SpaceX has confirmed this. Receiving a signal from a Satellite for GPS geolocation purposes does not require transmitting to it from the ground and has nothing to do with the amount of bandwidth the satellites or small antenna can support.

They said with more development you would be able to make emergency phone calls with the bandwidth, but they are starting out with SMS which is easier and obviously could support a much larger number of users until they can get more satellites supporting this service in the sky. Apparently the bandwidth of the entire satellite cell area is around 2MB per second. A phone call takes something like 7KB per second according to Elon. Even without the Gen2 satellites needed for this emergency service they can already use the current satellite signal as a GPS.

Any new company burning through as much capital as SpaceX is going to risk bankruptcy the first decade or so, discussing it and what must be done to avoid it is only rational. However I would be willing to bet that like Tesla, SpaceX is going to be one of the most profitable 5% of companies in the world over a ten year period at some point soon, count on it. Too bad for us SpaceX is a private company.

I don't think bankruptcy is a concern, but even if they do go bankrupt, those satellites are still going to be sending down a signal for several years until they are directed to fall out of the sky, no further money needed. The satellites based on their closeness to the planet would orbit for at least 5 years, before Tesla may direct them to deorbit. In a war no doubt the US government would prop up SpaceX single handedly just to guarantee a GPS signal.

I appreciate you think Elon is a weirdo, however he is going to direct a couple trillion dollars in revenue over the next few years, guess he is sane enough for most. I don't really no too many other than maybe some Saudi's and Tim Cook that currently have more responsibilities for commerce on a dollar basis.

Elon is not perfect, but no doubt you would agree he is out there trying to accomplish some good in the world everyday and is more effective at making a positive impact besides selling alot of cars everyday than most.
Also saying you want to shutoff a signal as a tactic to remind people what you bring to the table after some insults is completely different than actually doing it.

-Spacex thinks there is some advantage to having GPS on Starlink, since they are applying for trademarks per the articles.
-The US military is asking for it, MIT Reseaches have concluded Starlink is already a working GPS system close in accuracy with existing GPS with no development needed. The ground hardware they built to test it could be improved to match the accuracy of current GPS with further tweaking per the researchers.

I can appreciate some of your points.
What I said hypothetically has been proven possible by researchers, has some advantages in war due to the unmatched number of sattelites, and most likely for other reasons based on moves by SpaceX to trademark. Enough Said.

Reactions: Mark II
Did the No that the military got come after they said, No to him, when he asked for help in paying for Ukraine's access to Starlink?

I really would like to have overheard the conversation among those mil reps that asked for access. And the look on their faces as they turned and looked to each other when they heard that word they almost never hear - No.
But no to the military is like a bus stop on they way to "okay". This is going to be interesting to simply watch.

Don't underestimate G.I.Joe. They likely will hack in and argue they were justified because someone told them No.

Starlink satellites are 36x closer than GPS (550km vs. 20,000km). Not sure why the military would need more accuracy than GPS provides though.
I'm also not sure why anyone would need more accurate GNSS on their phone or vehicle.
According to the article I read the US Military has already approached SpaceX to use the signal for navigation and was turned down. Much harder for a country to destroy 3,000 starlink satellites vs the current 30 we have for GPS. Robust backup is something you need when fighting a war. Taking down 30 satellites would be all in a good days work for some countries we could go to war with. Destroying 3,000 satellites sounds like a multiyear effort.
I have no doubt that Spacex could launch enough satellites fast enough to overcome any amount that may be shot down.
I bet any adversary that could shoot down the GPS constellation could just destroy all the Starlink ground stations. I'm not sure how dependent the military actually is on GPS. For example cruise missiles use maps and inertial guidance.

Starlink satellites are 36x closer than GPS (550km vs. 20,000km). Not sure why the military would need more accuracy than GPS provides though.
I'm also not sure why anyone would need more accurate GNSS on their phone or vehicle.
The GPS in my Tesla is terrible. It takes a long time to lock, especially when it has been raining. The reason is the high trees in the Seattle area attenuate the signals more when they are wet. This reduces the number of visible GPS satellites significantly. However with thousands of satellites, that are 36x closer, the odds of finding enough suitable ones, with sufficient signal strength, is significantly increased.

The GPS in my Tesla is terrible. It takes a long time to lock, especially when it has been raining. The reason is the high trees in the Seattle area attenuate the signals more when they are wet. This reduces the number of visible GPS satellites significantly. However with thousands of satellites, that are 36x closer, the odds of finding enough suitable ones, with sufficient signal strength, is significantly increased.
Don’t have much experience with trees or rain down here. I wonder if Tesla’s GPS is just subpar? Modern GNSS chips use all the systems not just GPS. How well does it work on your phone in the same areas?

Reactions: Dewg
Don’t have much experience with trees or rain down here. I wonder if Tesla’s GPS is just subpar? Modern GNSS chips use all the systems not just GPS. How well does it work on your phone in the same areas?
Phone is much better, but then I never turn it off. Note, once the Tesla has a lock it is good. Just takes many minutes to lock. I would need to turn my phone off for more than 24 hours to test lock. Not doing that ;)

The entire country of Ukraine is relying on the signal accuracy of Starlink

I'm not going to read your whole response, because honestly it's far too long and based on marketing rather than reality. As for the whole country of Ukraine, you're just not correct. The number of active terminals in the region and the unreliable service they receive alone disqualify it for "whole country" anything.

Starlink satellites are 36x closer than GPS

Yep. But that doesn't help in this situation, and might actually hinder in new places.

"The entire country of Ukraine is relying on the signal accuracy of Starlink to make military strikes"

Evidence? I believe they are using it like we all do... For connectivity, so their forces can communicate with each other.
I could have worded this better. I really meant signal reliability and used the word accuracy. Thanks for bringing that up and giving me a chance to clarify. I was referring to Ukraine using Starlink data to communicate, it has been documented in numerous articles and if the network was unreliable they would have trouble communicating. I do realize when I reread it that it may sound like I was referring to being used as a GPS signal which is not the case.

Reactions: Ozdw

I bet any adversary that could shoot down the GPS constellation could just destroy all the Starlink ground stations. I'm not sure how dependent the military actually is on GPS. For example cruise missiles use maps and inertial guidance.
Starlink ground stations being destroyed would have no impact on Starlink being used as GPS since it only relies on a time signal being sent down which is already determined on the satellite. In addition V2 of starlink satellites need significantly less ground stations as they will communicate satellite to satellite via laser communications and don't necessarily need a ground station in country.

Whenever I read about smart bombs generally they are referred to as GPS guided. There may be million dollar cruise missiles with inertial guidance, but other less expensive bombs rely on GPS.

The current GPS signal can be spoofed as Iran is reported to have done to bring down a US drone like 10 years ago. No doubt starlink with decades newer technology would have the ability to create a more spoof proof signal that is either encrypted or using some other technology to help with that situation.

As stated by you the Satellites are closer to the ground and would most likely have a stronger signal etc. The current GPS accuracy is 16 feet from what I read, that is close, but would imagine situations where if that number was lower it could be beneficial.

In addition V2 of starlink satellites need significantly less ground stations as they will communicate satellite to satellite via laser communications and don't necessarily need a ground station in country.

Just a reminder that v2 doesn't exist in orbit yet, they rely on Starship for launch, and there's no firm date still. Ground stations are still very much required, and the problem Starlink has with its ground stations may actually be exacerbated by the fact that more units may be communicating through the same number of ground stations, requiring even larger backhauls to their regional POPs. The in-orbit repeater work has been utilized by other companies for quite some time, and you really need to carefully consider how it works, what your parameters are, when you do and don't forward, etc.

SpaceX has an extremely long road ahead of them on this front, and that's all I'll say about that particular topic.