Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Teslas recognize an approaching Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is unlikely to happen. The camera resolution isn’t that great to be able to distinguish actual model of car, it appears (even poorer at night) and the privacy concerns of tracking all Teslas based on geolocation (latency aside) would have a lot of people up in arms.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I supposed they could. The NN has been trained to classify about a dozen objects classes (people, sedan, small SUV, truck,motorcycle, etc.). If Tesla wanted to spend the time, they could train it to recognize the new classes Model S, Model X, Model 3. But I am not sure how accurate it would be since a lot of sedans look the same (ex. Model S vs. Aston Martin - same designer...).

With all that said, if you wanted to add CyberTruck as a class I am sure it would be very accurate at classifying those. They look different at any angle from anything else on the road.;)

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
This is unlikely to happen. The camera resolution isn’t that great to be able to distinguish actual model of car, it appears (even poorer at night) and the privacy concerns of tracking all Teslas based on geolocation (latency aside) would have a lot of people up in arms.

Read the T&C's - they already track location of the vehicles although access the data is restricted.

Of course they do. Revealing that to end users is the no-no.

not if they don't reveal who owns or is in the other vehicle, license plate, etc - just that it's a Tesla. there is no privacy issue with that whatsoever - nothing identifiable at all.

...... and the privacy concerns of tracking all Teslas based on geolocation (latency aside) would have a lot of people up in arms.

as I noted, they already do this. you didn't seem to recognize that in your original post.

Can there be some kind of Tesla wave. Like how motorcyclist do the down finger thing to each other.

I'm sure most people be like WTF, but sure someone would like Tesla enough to wave. One time, I was in my Model 3 and there were two Model 3s right next to me at a traffic light. And we were like Tesla waving each other.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The cameras are good enough for self driving, but not good enough to determine the type of adjacent vehicle? Perhaps there could be a different sensing method that isn’t camera dependent. I would love to see other Tesla’s...I already wave at all the ones I see!

The cameras are good enough for self driving, but not good enough to determine the type of adjacent vehicle? Perhaps there could be a different sensing method that isn’t camera dependent. I would love to see other Tesla’s...I already wave at all the ones I see!

From what I can tell the camera can determine size/relative size etc. That’s why you see pickups, cars, vans, semis, buses, pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles etc. But there’s no way the resolution on these cameras is good enough to figure out manufacturer of car.

As has been discussed, it’s perhaps likely Tesla could do it (GPS+Cell tower geolocation likely, since GPS by itself isn’t accurate enough) but it’s unlikely they will. Stranger things have happened, though. It would be fun to see.

Usually when you do recognition you work with relatively low res images if you can. They train a lot faster and force the network to learn more generalization features like a human has arms and a truck does not.

So resolution need to be adequate but a 4K camera is not going greatly improve model classification over a 720p camera. In fact it may become an issue, since amount of data in a 4k frame is so much larger than a 720 frame.