Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Dual Motor pull this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
My friend uses this truck in the pic to haul this for his work sometimes. He really wants to get the Cybertruck, but not sure. I'm not a truck guy nor in that line of work, but he says it's different because of the gooseneck?.........

What do you guys think?
IMG_3537.JPG

It’s very unlikely since the cyber truck has a slanted bed top. Another possible issue is that in order to install fifth wheel/gooseneck it requires screwing or in some cases cutting into the truck bed, there’s a high chance that there will be batteries right under the bed.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07
How much does that trailer weigh How heavy are the loads he plans to put on the trailer Could he access Superchargers or other types of charging with that trailer on it FMAX 216 weighs 7600 lb empty Payload capacity is 22100 lb That trailer looks like it is 40 feet long From the Gooseneck to the end of the trailer looks like it's 45 feet long That under bed storage would make the ball too far forward But that is just my opinion

How much does that trailer weigh How heavy are the loads he plans to put on the trailer Could he access Superchargers or other types of charging with that trailer on it FMAX 216 weighs 7600 lb empty Payload capacity is 22100 lb That trailer looks like it is 40 feet long From the Gooseneck to the end of the trailer looks like it's 45 feet long That under bed storage would make the ball too far forward But that is just my opinion
Yeah, he didn't give me any details on weight, etc...he was just concerned about the connection to the truck first.

I have a lot of hauling experience. I used to own a logistics/hauling company. You no doubt can adapt a GN ball into the bed of the CT. That's not an issue. The tongue weight is reduced on a GN in relevance to the overall weight when compared to a bumper pull. I have no doubt that even loaded that GN in the picture will have a tongue weight at or under 3500lb. The issue is the total weight of the loaded trailer. That is a dually tandem axle, probably rated for a minimum of 24k. The dual motor states 10k, and the tri motor states 14k. Neither will come close to pulling that trailer when loaded to it's max. It will pull it empty for sure. If he only hauls loads like in the picture, he should be fine with the tri motor. The dual would be questionable.
But also as stated above, maxing out the towing weight will severely reduce range. So that needs to be taken into account.

I think backing up in tight places will be impossible with it

I don't think you will be able to backup a 5th wheel either with the cybertruck

Use a slider hitch. I would have to see if I had a picture of one of mine. I had a Ram Mega Cab which only comes with a 6' bed. Not ideal for jackknifing trailers. I installed a sliding 5th wheel hitch, which allows it to ride just forward of the rear axle like it should, then at low speeds when backing up you either manually or some do it automatically, slide it back so it gives you more clearance to the cab. Since I needed to also haul GN trailers and wanted this benefit, I welded 2"x2" .250 wall tubing between the uprights of the 5th wheel hitch and welded in a sleeve to bolt in a GN ball. I would simply remove the 5th wheel plate off the top and reveal the GN ball and could haul either trailer while utilizing the slider.

The gooseneck ball is mounted 4 1/4 inches forward of the rear axle axis, or close to that figure as your hitch maker will advise. This tiny zone is what creates the 'gooseneck effect' which is so far superior to a bumper-pull hitch. Look at the photo of the Auto-Hitch dolly which shows the 4in+ advance ahead of the axle. Once you drive a gooseneck you never want to go back. :D
--