Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Lack of Mirrors Transfer to Other Models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Cybertruck is supposedly going to lack side mirrors, is there any reason that other Tesla vehicles couldn't have their mirrors removed for better aerodynamics? If it really is true that mirrors are detrimental to aerodynamics, there shouldn't be any reason why they could not offer to convert prior vehicles and remove their mirrors. The repeater cameras could easily function as side mirrors and are high enough res on newer models. Obviously this could be annoying on the 3/Y, since there is no center instrument screen to display the camera feed on, and the viewer would have to cover up the current app because the driving info panel must be visible at all times. Since the models S and X are higher end, Tesla could decide to offer it exclusively to those vehicles. This is obviously just speculation, but I'm sure it would be possible and maybe even probable, depending on regulatory approval on the Cybertruck's mirrorless design. In my opinion, the yoke wheel would be a more dangerous design change than digital mirrors, so since that was fine I'm sure cam mirrors will be too.

I'd imagine that range gains could be in the double digits, AND it would remove production costs associated with the traditional power and heated mirrors since they'd just be removing a step of manufacturing. Sorry to ramble, but this seems like a really good idea and I haven't seen anybody talking about this possibility.

Since the Cybertruck is supposedly going to lack side mirrors, is there any reason that other Tesla vehicles couldn't have their mirrors removed for better aerodynamics? If it really is true that mirrors are detrimental to aerodynamics, there shouldn't be any reason why they could not offer to convert prior vehicles and remove their mirrors.
If they get the go-ahead for Cybertruck then it would be great to see it on the whole range.
IIRC right now the sticking point is that there are laws that specifically require a mirror, they need to be re-written to allow a camera/screen alternative.

e.g.