Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Model 3 autopilot HW support up to Level 5 autonomous driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no expectation of level 5 with the model 3. I'll be buying FSD, and would be happy with level 4 autonomy in the most typical driving domains and think the investment would be worth every penny as an early adopter.

Thank you for making that early investment in FSD. I strongly believe SAE Level IV capability may require an additional decade or longer to achieve. It may take a mandatory vehicle-2-vehicle communication standard in place on a generation of automobiles and trucks (including commercial) and the will of society to allow a vehicle to take control away from the driver when a vehicle operates outside a given set of parameters.

While the roads will become safer over time, the same technology may give the government (fed, state, and local) through complicit manufacturer support / compliance to have 24/7 awareness of where the vehicle is located and possibly have the ability to disable the vehicle as determined (arrest, non-compliance, suspicion-person of interest, etc.) by policing authorities.

This global race to autonomous driving seems forced and I will raise the conspiracy theory that this is one of many steps for population control in the future.

It is people like this speaker (see video below) we should have concern. She is being touted as an expert in autonomous vehicles but her thoughts are devoid of whether we should want to surrender control / access of privately owned vehicles to partial / full control to an auto manufacturer / government entity. Government has proven to not always be a benign force for good.

Hurricane Irma
Tesla wrapped it's decision to unlock additional to some vehicles potentially impacted by Hurricane Irma as a gesture of kindness and concern. I and others were uncomfortable with this unilateral decision without customer consent.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I doubt it. The current description for FSD could be as low as really good SAE Level 2. As long as they deliver what they state on their website, they're good, independent of any puffery by salespeople/others.
Musk stated that the car would taxi passengers around on the Tesla Network (allowing the car to pay for itself & hence there is no need for a cheaper car again) - if city only, Level 4, if anywhere, Level 5
If I buy a car with claimed capabilities and these aren’t delivered, lawsuit would be successful as night follows day

I'm just sitting here like, ah, that FSD demo video blew my mind! Some how, some way they got the computer and all the hardware working together to make that cummute to work with no human input. Blew my mind. I'm very optimistic that type of FSD will be released to the public

I spoke with a Tesla agent regarding FSD and they acknowledged there is no contractual obligation to provide SPECIFIC FUNCTIONALITY THAT CORRESPONDS TO SAE AUTONOLOMY LEVELS. Nor is there a contractual obligation to refund if those autonomy levels are not achieved by Tesla as it relates to FSD.

I also asked if Tesla would be open to adding an addendum to the purchase contract regard FSD if included in the purchase contract.

Bottomline: The devil is in the details...
Doesn’t matter what a Tesla Agent says, they ain’t a judge
Public statements can be considered contractual

[Q
Musk stated that the car would taxi passengers around on the Tesla Network (allowing the car to pay for itself & hence there is no need for a cheaper car again) - if city only, Level 4, if anywhere, Level 5
If I buy a car with claimed capabilities and these aren’t delivered, lawsuit would be successful as night follows day

Exactly. I can't wait for the demonstration to happen late this year or early next as Elon has mentioned.

Inducement, obligation or whatever... there is no fixed date when that FSD/Level 5 has to be done&delivered by Tesla.

They can as much time as they need.

Correct... A binding agreement has to have specificity and Tesla is not stupid. When I asked Tesla about adding an addendum to the purchase agreement specifying the terms of FSD do you wanna guess what their answer was?

Nuclear Fusion - Thanks for proving my point. 'Most consumers do not understand contract law and are too arrogant to admit it.

Hurricane Irma
Tesla wrapped it's decision to unlock additional to some vehicles potentially impacted by Hurricane Irma as a gesture of kindness and concern. I and others were uncomfortable with this unilateral decision without customer consent.

Sorry, but I don't follow how Tesla temporarily removing a software limitation giving those people more range to escape a natural disaster is anything to be uncomfortable about. Can you explain what you see as the negative aspects of this decision are/were?

Correct... A binding agreement has to have specificity and Tesla is not stupid. When I asked Tesla about adding an addendum to the purchase agreement specifying the terms of FSD do you wanna guess what their answer was?

Nuclear Fusion - Thanks for proving my point. 'Most consumers do not understand contract law and are too arrogant to admit it.

Yeah, exactly - they learned that with specified HP numbers in earlier P models and lawsuits that followed.

Now there is no date when those capabilities have to be delivered, not one mention about "level" etc.
So
this lawsuit will be as successful as suing the Sun that it doesn't shine at night.

Do we know if the Model 3 autopilot HW will support up to Level 5 autonomous driving? EAP is currently at Level 2 as far as i know.

Here is Elon Musk presenting AP2 as Level 5 capable on launch:

Tesla's Full Self Driving level?

They may have contractual wiggle room but especially for Model S/X sold in 2016, they may be in for a mess nevertheless were that to turn out to be far from the truth...

Last edited:
With enough cameras, the car would not have blind spots so that would not be an issue.

The black area shows the rough blindspots of the current AP2 camera setup. It can not see around its nose on vision.

ap2_blindspots-jpg.238093

Last edited:
Here is Elon Musk presenting AP2 as Level 5 capable on launch:

Tesla's Full Self Driving level?

They may have contractual wiggle room but especially for Model S/X sold in 2016, they may be in for a mess nevertheless were that to turn out to be far from the truth...

Fake news! if they retracted it, I question whether it will stand up in court.

But the evidence between this video and the fsd demo and the fsd promise 3-6 months definite departure from eap is not a good sign. I'm still playing for fsd and damn the expense.

Yeah, but I have greater levels of logic than 95% of the population, so things are more obvious to me than most.
In addition, I have undergrad level Business Law education (even though law isn’t as logical or complex as science)